Great Nineties Alternative Artists...

Guest Judas

I'm forever looking for new music and have become really interested in 90's alternative music. I'm not talking about Nirvana and Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins. All great bands of course. But I mean like The Verve Pipe, Live, Better than Ezra, Collective Soul, Dave Matthews Band, Bush etc. You know the bands who weren't really heavy but had really deep emotional lyrics and great singers/performers etc...

Anyone wanna suggest any other bands in this genre ??? :rolleyes:

ah you see this is what i didn't want to happen - Janes Addiction and Blind Melon are not inkeeping with the genre i specified. Jeff Buckley is of course and he was great and his cover of Hallelujah sends shivers down my spine and grace is wonderful. Buckethead? - Great singer is he???????

ah you see this is what i didn't want to happen - Janes Addiction and Blind Melon are not inkeeping with the genre i specified. Jeff Buckley is of course and he was great and his cover of Hallelujah sends shivers down my spine and grace is wonderful. Buckethead? - Great singer is he???????

Those bands are alternative though - they're not grunge or what have you. I think both have/had great singers/performers too. Although, looking at the list of bands which you listed, I guess Jane's Addiction and Blind Melon don't fit. But if I had to label them, I'd say alternative.

Those bands are alternative though - they're not grunge or what have you. I think both have/had great singers/performers too. Although, looking at the list of bands which you listed, I guess Jane's Addiction and Blind Melon don't fit. But if I had to label them, I'd say alternative.

Point taken. I love Blind Melon by the way. I think what we have learned here today is that the word alternative encompasses way too many artists...

I'm forever looking for new music and have become really interested in 90's alternative music. I'm not talking about Nirvana and Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins. All great bands of course. But I mean like The Verve Pipe, Live, Better than Ezra, Collective Soul, Dave Matthews Band, Bush etc. You know the bands who weren't really heavy but had really deep emotional lyrics and great singers/performers etc...

Anyone wanna suggest any other bands in this genre ???

No offense, but those were not alternative bands, they were entirely conventional, mainstream rock acts.

Ween, Guided by Voices, The Breeders, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, Buffalo Tom, Morphine, The Afghan Whigs, etc - those were alt bands.

• Like 1

No offense, but those were not alternative bands, they were entirely conventional, mainstream rock acts.

Okay grand point taken yet again...its just where i'm from all the bands mentioned here are alternative...

sorry, didnt read the thingie too well, my bad. in that case, i cant really answer your question...unless i can venture outside of the 90s?

• 5 years later...

Not sure if these all fit into what you are looking for, but here are some that come to mind when I look for "not too heavy" 90s bands.

Counting Crows

Placebo
Matchbox 20
Goo Goo Dolls
Our Lady Peace
3 Doors Down
Dexter Freebish
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Fastball
Gin Blossoms
Can't go wrong with anyone on the Empire Records soundtrack really.

Edited by merslain

mercury rev (their album deserter's songs is amazing)

flaming lips

pj harvey

tarnation

sparklehorse

Flaming Lips have been around since the early 80's...

Grandaddy

Belly

The Distillers

The Whitlams (were indie in the 90s, then signed w/ Warners.)

Edited by machinegunner