Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and Heat is a piece of shit, Al Pacino and Robert De Niro trying to look like they're concentrating for nigh on 2 hours wondering where their talent went, gimme a fuckin break.

Frank, you tend to oversimplify things you dislike, which is fine - but then you have to be willing to accept that things you love can be just as ignorantly oversimplified. King of NY? Chris Walken trying to look badass for 2 hours wondering why he didn't get a better hair stylist. Godfather III? Al Pacino sitting around looking mopey for three hours. See what I mean? Those films aren't that simple, and neither is Heat. It's not as flawless as some would claim - but it's one of the better films of the '90s, one of the most complex character-oriented crime films ever made, and it has not only very good direction and screenwriting but both Pacino and De Niro's last truly great performances.

the writing i agree is good, i dont think the same can be said about the acting or the direction. its just a puffed up version of LA Takedown with money thrown at it and bigger names, as if that was the problem. Heats problem is to me that, ultimately it works better on paper than on screen. its not a bad movie as such, you're right, i was overstating my point. Heats problem is its a character orientated film where the characters just arent that interesting. got some GREAT LINES though, great as a GREAT ASS!! HOO - HA!!!

:unsure:

and Heat is a piece of shit, Al Pacino and Robert De Niro trying to look like they're concentrating for nigh on 2 hours wondering where their talent went, gimme a fuckin break.

Frank, you tend to oversimplify things you dislike, which is fine - but then you have to be willing to accept that things you love can be just as ignorantly oversimplified. King of NY? Chris Walken trying to look badass for 2 hours wondering why he didn't get a better hair stylist. Godfather III? Al Pacino sitting around looking mopey for three hours. See what I mean? Those films aren't that simple, and neither is Heat. It's not as flawless as some would claim - but it's one of the better films of the '90s, one of the most complex character-oriented crime films ever made, and it has not only very good direction and screenwriting but both Pacino and De Niro's last truly great performances.

the writing i agree is good, i dont think the same can be said about the acting or the direction. its just a puffed up version of LA Takedown with money thrown at it and bigger names, as if that was the problem. Heats problem is to me that, ultimately it works better on paper than on screen. its not a bad movie as such, you're right, i was overstating my point. Heats problem is its a character orientated film where the characters just arent that interesting. got some GREAT LINES though, great as a GREAT ASS!! HOO - HA!!!

Ffrankie...noo.... :( Even if you didn't care for Bobby and Al, you can't deny Val Kilmer's character who owns every scene he's in. Mann reworks a lot of his older work. Heat is really an amalgamation of LA Takedown and the first season of Miami Vice.

What is your problem with the acting and directing specifically? I mean the staging/geography of the bank score and downtown gunfight are hall of fame material. Besides, HEAT is one of the most atmospheric crime movies ever made. The mood of the film is incredibly well done. I really can't find a single fault with Mann's direction aside from the fact that perhaps the family drama scenes for the Pacino character could have been shortened....

Edited by SylvesterStallone

Ffrankie...noo.... :( Even if you didn't care for Bobby and Al, you can't deny Val Kilmer's character who owns every scene he's in. Mann reworks a lot of his older work. Heat is really an amalgamation of LA Takedown and the first season of Miami Vice.

What is your problem with the acting and directing specifically? I mean the staging/geography of the bank score and downtown gunfight are hall of fame material. Besides, HEAT is one of the most atmospheric crime movies ever made. The mood of the film is incredibly well done. I really can't find a single fault with Mann's direction aside from the fact that perhaps the family drama scenes for the Pacino character could have been shortened....

y'know sometimes when you watch a movie and theres some you just CANT get started it on? you've seen like the first 20 minutes 500 times but some shit always gets in the way? Heat was like that for me. i just...i dont think the Pacino/ De Niro performances were good, its just...them settled into this groove where...how can i explain this, hmmm. basically they're better than that...Robert De Niro definitely has this tendancy of late to come off REALLY boring in movies because of the fact that he's not the best character actor in the world, god help me for saying that but if you look at his body of work he shows that he IS capable of that shit but...tends not to a lot. what could've been a really...subtle well balanced sort of nuanced performance on his part just came off as him really dragging his heels.

you have to...lend something to your performances, there's really so much room to maueuvre with McCauley too, thats the fucking sad part about it but he doesnt...do anything with it and whats fucked up about that is that you KNOW he's capable.

and Al, HOO HA!!! IM AL PACINO!!!!

I DONT CAAAAAARE THAT YOU'RE BALLING MY WI..

:rofl-lol: sorry but come ooonnn!!!

as far as the direction, hmm, i dunno, i guess i was a bit harsh in that sense cuz it was pretty well directed but that alone isnt really enough. Kilmer was good too, agreed (and im a huge Tom Sizemore fan on the worst of days) but...isnt exactly much to carry the movie off is it? atmospheric?? see this is where i tend to be a little harsh, i suppose theres only so much scope for...mood building in a mainstream hollywood movie until you end up making it a little...inaccessible i suppose but...aside from that ending it was nothing worth like...writing home about. good, dont get me wrong but...one of the best??

watch Thief - James Caan, a better example of Manns work i think.

I just watched Rob Zombie's Halloween.

You think he'd change his formula up a bit for a film like that but apparently not. I mean, I liked The Devil's Rejects, but come on, this is basically the same film with Michael Myers in it. I don't like the original Halloween films either so this isn't some fanboy vendetta.

Oh god, that fucking thing sucked... :(

I've just watched The Mist this afternoon with my friend to balance it out. That is one fucking awesome horror film. I was expecting a really average experience but it totally hooked me and just got better and better.

I absolutely loved how grim and depressing it was. There was basically no hope for them all until the very final scene, and even then your focus is on the fact that poor dude has just shot 4 people - including his own son.

The mob nature of most of the people and how quickly they were willing to worship a false prophet in a time of crisis was also handled fantastically.

The film definitely benefited from the fact it didn't focus too much on gore and more just the suspense of what exactly was out there and also the portrayal of the panic. It felt very clostrophobic at times. The only horror film in recent memory I can think of that had a better atmosphere at times is 30 Days of Night.

My only complaints would be that the end is a little obvious (I figured as soon as he ran out of bullets there'd be a twist and he'd find an end to the mist) and that it happened too suddenly. Not exactly the time it took for the tanks and all to arrive or anything, just the fact that as soon as they did all of the mist cleared and it was suddenly a sunnyday.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I just watched the Peter Pan movie (not cartoon) that came a few years ago. It wasn't very good.

I'm not sure if I have the energy to, but I think I'll see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy later today.

Finaly decided to get the Indianna Jones set today so i got some films to watch later. The new one looks good.

Did you get the new set with the steel cases?

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed off because I bought the original box set with the three movies and a bonus disc when it first came out a few years ago, now I see they re-released it with more stuff and in steel cases.

I want it, But the wife will probably give me a hard time if I buy it because I already have the movies in the other set.

I hate it when they re-release some movies. :anger:

I don't know how many bloody times I bought the original Star Wars trilogy!!

Anyone seen Malice?

That God speech Baldwin does?

gotta love youtube

:rofl-lol:

Great movie. I am a big fan of Arec Bardwin...he goes out like a wuss in that movie though....

Baldwin always manages to chew up the scenery when he gets a great monoluge.

I could watch his scene in Glengarry Glen Ross a dozen times in a row.

I wish he was in the whole movie, he owned that scene completely. All I could think about by the end of the film was his scene. It was that good.

Anyone seen Malice?

That God speech Baldwin does?

gotta love youtube

:rofl-lol:

Great movie. I am a big fan of Arec Bardwin...he goes out like a wuss in that movie though....

Baldwin always manages to chew up the scenery when he gets a great monoluge.

I could watch his scene in Glengarry Glen Ross a dozen times in a row.

I wish he was in the whole movie, he owned that scene completely. All I could think about by the end of the film was his scene. It was that good.

Glengarry Glenross is a fucking great film and i agree with you on Baldwin, special mention has to go to Ed Harris, any fans of his work should check out Pollock, he's fantastic in it.

Anybody that hasn't seen Swimming With Sharks should see it, Kevin Spacey at his very best.Though he is very good in Hosile Hostages ( The Ref ..... in America ), one of Denis Leary's best film as well.

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

Sidney Pollack. I think I saw an okay movie with Pollack, Affleck and Morgan Freeman. Changing Lanes.

Charlie Wilson's War was quite ennertainin' but i was high when i saw it and playing adavnced wars on my gba

"This towns in tatters I'm shattered"

Vantage Point, is it worth watching?

I just saw the trailer...

I haven't seen it yet, it looks good but i have a feeling it will end up confusing, some films try so hard to be original they over load you with too many twists.

Saw it. To begin with it's like wtf. but then it gets interesting, then you don't want it to end. It is like that movie Phone Booth. It wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be more innernational espionage and epic but it was short to say the least. More like an episode of 24 on acid.