Film Thread

ssiscool

A little bit of trivia i never realised concerning Black Hawk Down.

According to veterans of the actual event, when the Rangers got the go-ahead for the mission and were getting their gear ready, "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N Roses was playing on the base's loudspeakers. There were some half-serious comments among the men about the appropriateness of this song. However, the film's producers failed to secure the rights to use "Welcome to the Jungle," so they substituted Faith No More's "Falling to Pieces"--which is perhaps thematically in line with what happened on the raid.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new X-Files movie is an unholy fucking mess. :no: I didn't expect much, but I was very much looking forward to seeing those characters again. Or even glimpses of them. Instead you get two tedious, charmless, humorless wet blankets played by actors who still radiate that "I would very much rather be somewhere else" vibe I'd already utterly tired of by the seventh season of the show. And the writing...good lord. :(

Really? :( I've read at a few places that it was a 'return to form' and pretty much up to par with an episode from season 4/5.

Good to see Semi-Pro gettin' the love it deserves. Farrell's most underrated flick. There's so many well written characters.

How awesome are the player introductions?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO4aOUfqwng :xmasssanta:

On the other hand--caught Step Bros last night after waiting months for this and probably his worst to date, hate to say. The trailer shows nearly every funny part. This had such a great plot with 2 40 year old, live-at-home slackers having to move in and share a room together after their single parents get married. But even Farrell and Reilly can't ad lib their way through the whole movie. Was there even a screenplay for this thing or was it all jotted down on napkins?!! If you're gonna see it, will be MUCH better with a good buzz going.

BTW, in Step Bros, Farrell's brother's family sings SCOM in the car.

Agree with those saying Superbad was no 40 Year Old Virgin or Knocked Up. Highly overrated, IMO...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Really? I've read at a few places that it was a 'return to form' and pretty much up to par with an episode from season 4/5.

IMO, it's not even on par with an episode from 8/9. It's like someone filmed some truly heinous fanfic and managed to get the actors involved. Possibly by pointing a rifle at them from behind the camera, at least that's the impression I got from their performances. Carter forgot how to write that relationship after he got them together, now he's utterly forgotten how to write the characters full stop. There's no spark, no chemistry, no banter. Just poorly written speech after tedious and poorly written speech. And the X-file is so stupid, it's stunning. There were a few geek refs that made me smile but that's about it. It's so off the mark it's depressing.

Edited by Angelica

Dark Knight opened here last night. One of the most satisfying films I've seen for a long time both as a film fan and a comic fan.

Also, this could just be me, was anyone else reminded of Heat while watching it?

Really? I've read at a few places that it was a 'return to form' and pretty much up to par with an episode from season 4/5.

IMO, it's not even on par with an episode from 8/9. It's like someone filmed some truly heinous fanfic and managed to get the actors involved. Possibly by pointing a rifle at them from behind the camera, at least that's the impression I got from their performances. Carter forgot how to write that relationship after he got them together, now he's utterly forgotten how to write the characters full stop. There's no spark, no chemistry, no banter. Just poorly written speech after tedious and poorly written speech. And the X-file is so stupid, it's stunning. There were a few geek refs that made me smile but that's about it. It's so off the mark it's depressing.

Sad but true. The only one who i thought did an alright job was skinner, also he hadnt seemed to have aged a day.

P.s last days of disco rules!

Sad but true. The only one who i thought did an alright job was skinner, also he hadnt seemed to have aged a day.

Agreed. X Files was just... disappointing. I didn't exactly dislike it, but I certainly didn't like it either - It just kinda sits on the screen and slowly dies for 2 hours. *shakes head*

Last Days of Disco, though - That's a quality film!

But they only bring him in at what is virtually the end of the movie. :( Meanwhile, we're stuck with Special Scowling Agent Xzibit for most of the film.

So I finally watched Philidelphia.

I have never seen it till just now. I saw the dvd for sale for something like $6 so I thought what the hell and bought it.

Exellent movie. Tom Hanks plays that part so good.

I watched "Shining" again last night and hell, this is the best goddamn psycho-movie ever! I love this movie to pieces, it's perfect in so many ways.

From Jack Nicholsons perfect acting, to the plot and how it's filmed, to the really well done orchestration, leading up to several points where you just go "Woah!" although it's just the next "Next day" sign.

I also love the dialogues, sometimes so simplistic but they fit in really well in the scene they're happening in or in the whole movie.

"How are things going, Mr. Torrance?"

- "Things could be better, Lloyd.

Things could be a whole lot better."

I also love that the ending is such a mindfuck!

Edited by Spoon87

Some episodes from season 8 and 9 of the X-Files are some of the best in the series. And I really liked Robert Patrick's character. He even wanted to be in this movie. It's quite sad they didn't invite him back for the movie.

I love 8 and 9 too. It's a shame most people didn't latch on to the new characters.

X-Files still has the most disappointing final episode ever for me though. AWFUL. Even worse than Seinfeld's.

So I finally watched Philidelphia.

I have never seen it till just now. I saw the dvd for sale for something like $6 so I thought what the hell and bought it.

Exellent movie. Tom Hanks plays that part so good.

Damn right! Tom Hanks and Denzel are both terrific in that film.

I need to get it on DVD too, actually.

Some episodes from season 8 and 9 of the X-Files are some of the best in the series. And I really liked Robert Patrick's character. He even wanted to be in this movie. It's quite sad they didn't invite him back for the movie.

I love 8 and 9 too. It's a shame most people didn't latch on to the new characters.

X-Files still has the most disappointing final episode ever for me though. AWFUL. Even worse than Seinfeld's.

I actually really like the last episode of X-Files.

I also love 8 and 9 too. Alot of people dont because no Mulder and not much of Scully. It was a nice little change.