Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia is a fucking train wreck. It's not even likeable in an ironic campy way. :no:
Big surprise. God it looks shit. Fuck we suck.
A lot of the time, but not always. :lol:Not Quite Hollywood was one of the very best films of the year. But Australia is breathtakingly awful. I'm still half dazed from the sheer audacity of it's awfulness. :no:
Damn....I really wanted to see it. I'm not a big fan of the Ice Queen but from the trailers this looked epic.

By all means, see it. And on the biggest screen possible. I went along with it for longer than I now care to admit because I was dazzled by how beautifully it's photographed and composed and I wouldn't trade that to get the other components out of my system. Probably. Also, it's a genuine cinematic curiosity piece (and on a massive scale) and those are few and far between these days.

Spuffy, your Xmas line up is virtually identical to mine. :lol: Have you seen the Black Christmas remake with Dawnie? I sure it sucks, but I'm leaning towards watching it, for the Dawnie factor.

Illusions, King of Kong is magical. See it at once.

Edited by Angelica

Nah, I did see Hatchet with Harm though.

Gah that was terrible.

Unless the Black Christmas Re-make is on sale I'll doubt I'll buy it.

I also might thrown in Christmas Vacation I dunno.

It's a little sad that most of the Buffy's cast movie career for the most part has been pretty lack luster.

Mercedes, James(Expect PS I Love You), Sarah(The Grudge what the bloody hell was that), Seth, etc.

I just hired out:

- Interview With A Vampire

- Serpico

- A Scanner Darkly

Is it just a coincidence that those all have a somewhat relation to Gn'R?

What have those two got to do with GNR? And yes, it is a coincidence. Interview With A Vampire happened to be fucking awesome though.

I hated A Scanner Darkly.

Fuck <_<, I haven't watched it yet.

I just hired out:

- Serpico

- A Scanner Darkly

What have those two got to do with GNR? And yes, it is a coincidence. Interview With A Vampire happened to be fucking awesome though.

Back in 2006, Axl was being unusually talkative and mentioned that A Scanner Darkly was his favorite novel and that he was keen to see the film that was then being made of it. A few years back, he likened himself to Serpico in relation to the old band.

I just hired out:

- Serpico

- A Scanner Darkly

Back in 2006, Axl was being unusually talkative and mentioned that A Scanner Darkly was his favorite novel and that he was keen to see the film that was then being made of it. A few years back, he likened himself to Serpico in relation to the old band.

Wow...you like know everything, don't you?

I just hired out:

- Serpico

- A Scanner Darkly

:lol: I have an extraordinary capacity for recalling useless trivia. It's really quite disturbing.

I just hired out:

- Serpico

- A Scanner Darkly

:lol: I have an extraordinary capacity for recalling useless trivia. It's really quite disturbing.

It's a gift and curse with being a Spuffy fan.

I've been promoting this - and pouting about the upcoming English language remake - on people's profiles already, but one can never recommend Let the Right One In too highly. :wub:

I don't think there's any reason to pout about the remake. Lindqvist himself pretty much said that he's looking forward to what Reeves will do with it (and it's a HAMMER FILMS production!) , plus he won't just be copying this movie, he's adapting directly from the novel.

I liked "Let the Right One In" a lot.

I just hired out:

- Serpico

- A Scanner Darkly

Beat me to it.

I've been promoting this - and pouting about the upcoming English language remake - on people's profiles already, but one can never recommend Let the Right One In too highly. :wub:

I don't think there's any reason to pout about the remake. Lindqvist himself pretty much said that he's looking forward to what Reeves will do with it (and it's a HAMMER FILMS production!) , plus he won't just be copying this movie, he's adapting directly from the novel.

I wouldn't mind another version being filmed had the original left heaps to be improved upon, but this seems a tad unnecessary, and bearing in mind the recent rumours about the principal couple being aged into teenagehood, it's looking an awful lot like it's just being diluted to please the Twilight audience, as well as people who are too lazy to read subtitles. :(

I'm not sure whether you've read the novel, or picked up on the few admittedly very dubiously filmed scenes in Let the Right One In that indicate more about the possible nature of the children's relationship and why exactly they might just have to be played by children in any film version, but if you have, you'll know that - HUGE SPOILER AHEAD -

late in the novel, it is revealed that Eli lived as a castrated androgynous boy prior to becoming a vampire, not a girl as Oskar immediately concludes, and which Eli now embraces as her vampire gender identity. The director adapting the novel to film obviously omitted any such explicit plot twist, but there are certain lines, and one brief shot which could be interpreted either way, and which would probably be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to execute with sexually developed teenagers

I wouldn't mind another version being filmed had the original left heaps to be improved upon, but this seems a tad unnecessary, and bearing in mind the recent rumours about the principal couple being aged into teenagehood, it's looking an awful lot like it's just being diluted to please the Twilight audience, as well as people who are too lazy to read subtitles. :(

I'm not sure whether you've read the novel, or picked up on the few admittedly very dubiously filmed scenes in Let the Right One In that indicate more about the possible nature of the children's relationship and why exactly they might just have to be played by children in any film version, but if you have, you'll know that - HUGE SPOILER AHEAD -

late in the novel, it is revealed that Eli lived as a castrated androgynous boy prior to becoming a vampire, not a girl as Oskar immediately concludes, and which Eli now embraces as her vampire gender identity. The director adapting the novel to film obviously omitted any such explicit plot twist, but there are certain lines, and one brief shot which could be interpreted either way, and which would probably be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to execute with sexually developed teenagers

Yes, I've read the novel. The scene in the film that kind of gets at that is when Eli says

'I'm not a girl'
, but it never goes into much detail beyond that so it's sort of left unexplained. Ultimately people didn't seem to notice that in the film, and although the teenager thing for the US version is worrying, it could just push the story in a different, largely unfaithful, but still solid direction.

Yes, I've read the novel. The scene in the film that kind of gets at that is when Eli says

'I'm not a girl'
, but it never goes into much detail beyond that so it's sort of left unexplained. Ultimately people didn't seem to notice that in the film, and although the teenager thing for the US version is worrying, it could just push the story in a different, largely unfaithful, but still solid direction.

Apparently the

crotch-revealing
scene can also be interpreted in that way, as I've seen people screencap it and argue that
the "pubic hair" looks suspiciously uneven and scar-like. The fact that it's left up to the viewer to interpret these things without explicitly being shoved into either direction is part of what I love about the film, which is why the teenage thing is such a potential disappointment