Film Thread

ssiscool

I just watched the film Threads the other day.

A 1984 docu-drama depicting the events and effects of a nuclear war, the story focuses on Sheffield (an English industrial city) and it actually quite chilling.

Given that this was made and shown when nuclear war was highly plausible it probably put the shitters right up everyone. Still does in a way.

When the bombs go off the film gets mental and the aftermath... really brings it home. It got banned by the BBC after they aired it a couple of times, realising it exposes the ineptness or rather, futileness of the Government plans.

The full film is on google video (won't link incase it's not allowed).

I recommend it

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the film Threads the other day.

A 1984 docu-drama depicting the events and effects of a nuclear war, the story focuses on Sheffield (an English industrial city) and it actually quite chilling.

Given that this was made and shown when nuclear war was highly plausible it probably put the shitters right up everyone. Still does in a way.

When the bombs go off the film gets mental and the aftermath... really brings it home. It got banned by the BBC after they aired it a couple of times, realising it exposes the ineptness or rather, futileness of the Government plans.

The full film is on google video (won't link incase it's not allowed).

I recommend it

I wrote a full review of this, I hope nobody minds me sharing:

The events of "Threads" may have lost their relevance to some. Indeed, the very inclusion of the Soviet Union may make the film (or teleplay if you wish, although I have seen "Threads" projected onto a cinema screen and found it to look and feel superior to most other films) seem like merely a paranoid relic of a time gone by. In many ways that's what it is, as it hypothesizes the effects of a nuclear attack on Britain after an exchange between the United States and the Soviet Union escalates to include Britain. The premise of the film is dated. What makes "Threads" still so relevant is one of its key points: is there such a thing as being prepared for nuclear warfare? There are certainly more nuclear weapons in the world today than there were in 1984, and in spite of the many precautions taken to avoid nuclear warfare, in spite of the fact that we know more about the effects of nuclear weaponry than we did in 1984, there still lingers the very real possibility that nuclear warfare could erupt.

Unlike one of the obvious inspirations for this film, 1965's Oscar-winning BBC documentary "The War Game", directed by Peter Watkins, which used what-if scenarios and dramatizations to provide an education on the potential effects of a nuclear attack within a 48 minute long, straight-to-the-point film, "Threads" takes its time in setting up the scenario and introducing several characters. I have seen the opening forty minutes of "Threads" dismissed as irrelevant soap opera. Not by many, granted, but by some. These people could not be wronger. It is the first forty minutes which is the core of the film, which makes it brilliant, potent drama, which provides the emotional core for the rest of the film. "The War Game" was horrifying enough merely as an education, but the reason I hold the (slightly controversial) opinion that "Threads" is superior is that here we are given the time to meet the future victims, to learn of what is going on in their life.

In the grand tradition of British television drama (at the time at least, now it's mostly rather pathetic) the people we meet seem very real, the dialogue rings true to the sort of thing you would hear in kitchens around Britain every morning. We are introduced to real people like Ruth, who we would stay with until near the end of the film, who is starting a new life with the love of her life. It's something that happens every day, something most of us take for granted. We see numerous other scenarios, all as realistic and true-to-life happening in the first forty minutes before the nuclear attack takes place, and in one of the key elements of the film we see these people paying little attention to the media coverage of the war until the far-away horror becomes reality right outside their doorstep. It's an important message (one of several, actually) which the great Barry Hines is conveying with his script, but he refuses to hammer his point home. We just see the events unfolding before us, and are given the statistics coldly and without sentiment.

"Threads" is brutal in its depiction of the effects of nuclear war, and according to people who know what they are talking about it is also very realistic in its depiction. There have been one or two theories included in the film which have since been debunked, but the film was (and still is) unique for depicting nuclear winter, a very new and unproven theory at the time this film was made. With the advancements in nuclear research achieved since 1965's "The War Game", "Threads" proves nearly as educational despite being drama and not a documentary. The film's technical qualities are still very impressive, as Mick Jackson was, before his move to Hollywood, one of Britain's best and most important television directors (which, in Britain, means a lot more than it does for much of the rest of the world). The film's claustrophobic, tense atmosphere is aided by the use of the 4:3 fullscreen aspect ratio as well. The effects, in particular the makeup, surprisingly hold up extremely well, rarely if ever feeling dated. The acting is similarly key to the lasting success of the film beyond the initial jolt it gives the viewer, and it is for the most part quite phenomenal.

One shudders to think how "Threads" would look if made today. Would it play like a thriller or like sentimental, sappy rubbish? Would its brutality come across as exploitative? Would it be perceived as merely paranoid? We will probably never know the answers to those questions, and thankfully so, but one thing is almost certainly for sure: nothing as uncompromising, bleak, and unsettling as "Threads" would be made today and receive wide distribution. "Threads" is a tough film to watch, but it is still one I find myself drawn to, willing to sit through every year or so. It's dark, brutal, and miserable, and it has one of the bleakest endings one could possibly imagine, but it remains so well-made, such a great, uncompromising example of drama that it is simply essential viewing for everyone, young or old, no matter where they are on the planet.

Thanks for posting that adadadananayanayanaanny.(sp?)

Good review there and might get some people to check it out a bit more convincingly than my mention of it.

I agree with you on a remake, you just know it wouldn't have the same hard hitting effect. It would probably have a happier ending.

However, it would be interesting to see how the aftermath pans out with our much more advanced technology. Perhaps communications wouldn't be quite so disrupted, maybe GM crops could be grown, and of course, those in charge wouldn't be sent down a town hall basement.

I heard a rumor and I hope this stays as a rumor that they want to do a sequel to RZ's Halloween..

Bleck! You'd think they way he ended it wouldn't be open for a sequel.

I highly doubt there is going to be a sequel. I'm just waiting for his next movies. I don't care what anyone says, I enjoy them. The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto looks like it'll be great! :lol:

Thanks for posting that adadadananayanayanaanny.(sp?)

Good review there and might get some people to check it out a bit more convincingly than my mention of it.

I agree with you on a remake, you just know it wouldn't have the same hard hitting effect. It would probably have a happier ending.

However, it would be interesting to see how the aftermath pans out with our much more advanced technology. Perhaps communications wouldn't be quite so disrupted, maybe GM crops could be grown, and of course, those in charge wouldn't be sent down a town hall basement.

Cheers.

As for Rob Zombie, The Devil's Rejects was incredible. His Halloween was not good, but it was also a complete hackjob.

I watched Slither, Alpha Dog and Into The Wild this week. All 3 of them were great films.

I adored Into the Wild and liked Slither. Mostly cause it has a clear Joss Whedon influence and Nathan Fillion. :wub:

Jennifer Chambers Lynch's return to directing was disappointing. Atmospherically made, but full of plot holes, and bearing a supposed twist ending anyone could see coming half an hour too early at the very least. For shame, Spill Fantastic Fest 2008 film recommendations.

They let her make another movie? Awesome. Does it feature a totally subtle and coherent performance by Julian Sands? Oh please say yes, even if it's not true. :heart:

I just got X-Files - I Want To Believe on Blu-ray yesterday. I really liked it. I don't know why so many people didn't like it. :shrugs: To each their own I guess.

Good for you, I'm envious. I loved (a great deal of) the show, and I was very much looking forward to loving that movie. Alas, it wasn't to be. :no:

Jennifer Chambers Lynch's return to directing was disappointing. Atmospherically made, but full of plot holes, and bearing a supposed twist ending anyone could see coming half an hour too early at the very least. For shame, Spill Fantastic Fest 2008 film recommendations.

They let her make another movie? Awesome. Does it feature a totally subtle and coherent performance by Julian Sands? Oh please say yes, even if it's not true. :heart:

The closest stretch would be, err, a borderline autistic little girl in the Dakota Fanning vein, and a sadistic French Stewart and Kent Harper wearing badges and mustaches? I'm sorry. :lol:

The closest stretch would be, err, a borderline autistic little girl in the Dakota Fanning vein, and a sadistic French Stewart and Kent Harper wearing badges and mustaches? I'm sorry. :lol:

Autistic Dakota Fanning types and sadistic French Stewarts are no substitute for Sands! :(

I just got X-Files - I Want To Believe on Blu-ray yesterday. I really liked it. I don't know why so many people didn't like it. :shrugs: To each their own I guess.

Good for you, I'm envious. I loved (a great deal of) the show, and I was very much looking forward to loving that movie. Alas, it wasn't to be. :no:

What was it about it you didn't like?

It's definatlly not as good as the series. But like I said I still like it, but I do feel there is something missing.

It's definatlly not as good as the series. But like I said I still like it, but I do feel there is something missing.

The something missing for me was Mulder and Scully. Those tedious, charmless people in IWtB were not the characters I'd loved so dearly. I also thought the writing fell way short, and was not entirely convinced by Special Agent Xzibit. :lol: Almost all my most adored XF eps had an element of humor to them, that was another thing that was very much lacking from the film.

Edited by Angelica

The something missing for me was Mulder and Scully. Those tedious, charmless people in IWtB were not the characters I'd loved so dearly. I also thought the writing fell way short, and was not entirely convinced by Special Agent Xzibit. :lol: Almost all my most adored XF eps had an element of humor to them, that was another thing that was very much lacking from the film.

Yeah I think they made a mistake with Mulder and Scully being a couple. We always wanted to see it during the series, but now it doesn't seem to work. And yes, definatly could have used some more humor. I was glad to see Skinner in it though. While watching it I kept hoping he would play at least a small part, close to the end I thought to myself oh well I guess he's not in it, and a second later there he was :lol:

Yeah I think they made a mistake with Mulder and Scully being a couple. We always wanted to see it during the series, but now it doesn't seem to work. And yes, definatly could have used some more humor. I was glad to see Skinner in it though. While watching it I kept hoping he would play at least a small part, close to the end I thought to myself oh well I guess he's not in it, and a second later there he was :lol:

I figured he wasn't going to be in it too, and as cool as it was to get him when I'd given up expecting him, it would have been a *lot* cooler if he'd had a large role. I did appreciate the little geek moments where they referenced various episodes. Especially since they included Clyde Bruckman, hero of my very favorite episode. :heart:

I couldn't finish A Scanner Darkly. The whole movie just felt like an opening credits because of the cartoon-y way it was done if you know what I mean, and because of that I couldn't concentrate on the movie. I could have watched it if it was done like a proper fucking movie. Admittably I was very high and it was a bad choice of movie.