3) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

4) Frost/Nixon

5) The Dark Knight

6) Revolutionary Road

7) Forgetting Sarah Marshall

8) Changeling

9) Boogeyman: The Lee Atwater Story

10) Gran Torino

Good list. There's still so much I haven't seen that I expect will end up on my top ten eventually, but as it stands - Waltz with Bashir, Hunger, Man on Wire, Not Quite Hollywood, Towelhead, Burn After Reading, Tropic Thunder, The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire, Frost/Nixon and The Bank Job were my favorite films of the year.

HMs to Forgetting Sarah Marshall, In Bruges, The Duchess, Benjamin Button, Step-Brothers, and Stop Loss.

I need details on this. :wub:

So many knockouts on that show, and I crush on them all. :heart: But especially Eliza Dushku. BtW, no one who :wub: Alyson Hannigan and lesbians has any excuse to not watch Buffy! Youtube "Willow and Kennedy".

Edited by Angelica

Hunger

Fantastic film, and one that got overlooked by quite a few people in 2008. Definitely one of the best of the year.

The Bank Job an interesting addition to your list though, I thought it was really average. :shrugs:

Once I've seen The Wrestler and a bunch of other stuff, I doubt I'll rank it so highly. But I saw it very recently with very low expectations, and I thought it was fabulous.

Self-indulgently continues list -

Stuff I liked that virtually no one else did: Hancock, Death Race, Quarantine, The Strangers, Definitely Maybe, Semi-Pro.

Stuff I truly hated: Mama Mia, Speed Racer, Sex and the City, Australia, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Incredible Hulk, Wanted, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Edited by Angelica

Hunger

Fantastic film, and one that got overlooked by quite a few people in 2008. Definitely one of the best of the year.

The Bank Job an interesting addition to your list though, I thought it was really average. :shrugs:

i thought the bank job was great, really enjoyed that film

Slumdog Millionaire was impressive in many ways, but I left the theater with a sense of guilt for not being blown away. I thought the story was only sporadically engaging; and the performances, though good, gave little insight into the script’s underdeveloped characters. Things are happening with such frequency — all at the same breakneck pace, music cranked to the same mind-numbing level — that eventually it all becomes inexplicably dull. Although not without its charms, it just felt curiously distant, and its climactic scene was so contrived that it left me rabidly underwhelmed. It's an entertaining film, but too formulaic for my taste and its predictability causes it to lose some of its emotional power. With that said, while the film is unabashedly melodramatic, what separates it from other films of this kind is that it has a certain vibrancy and energy that those films often lack. Furthermore, in its darker moments, the film also contains a bit of an edge. Well acted and well directed, I'd definitely recommend Slumdog Millionaire, though ultimately I can't say I was very much impressed or moved by the material..

-Kickingthehabit

Finally got around to watching Hannibal.

It was pretty good a lot better than Red Dragon.

I *love* Hannibal! As long as you understand going in that's it's a demented black comedy rather than a genuine sequel to SOtL, I don't know how anyone could resist it. :heart:

Slumdog Millionaire was impressive in many ways, but I left the theater with a sense of guilt for not being blown away. I thought the story was only sporadically engaging; and the performances, though good, gave little insight into the script’s underdeveloped characters. Things are happening with such frequency — all at the same breakneck pace, music cranked to the same mind-numbing level — that eventually it all becomes inexplicably dull. Although not without its charms, it just felt curiously distant, and its climactic scene was so contrived that it left me rabidly underwhelmed. It's an entertaining film, but too formulaic for my taste and its predictability causes it to lose some of its emotional power. With that said, while the film is unabashedly melodramatic, what separates it from other films of this kind is that it has a certain vibrancy and energy that those films often lack. Furthermore, in its darker moments, the film also contains a bit of an edge. Well acted and well directed, I'd definitely recommend Slumdog Millionaire, though ultimately I can't say I was very much impressed or moved by the material..

I was almost entirely on it's side while I was watching it. But when I left the theater, I felt increasingly doubtful of my first impressions and started to resent the degree to which I felt manipulated.

I *love* Hannibal! As long as you understand going in that's it's a demented black comedy rather than a genuine sequel to SOtL, I don't know how anyone could resist it. :heart:

I didn't at first. However, about 10 minutes into the film I had figured it out. Oldman and Hopkin's were brilliant as usual.

so tell me, bowels in or bowels out? :lol:

So what do ya think, Cordell? Does Lecter want to fuck her or kill her or eat her alive? :lol:

Edited by Spuffy78

You know The Dark Knight was always going to be film of the year? Well Darren Aronofsky has, unsurprisingly, totally fucked that up by making The Wrestler one of the most compelling movie experiences I've had in such a long time. I never thought that he'd be able to top The Fountain, but he has. It's not as abstract or arty, but what it lacks in that aspect it makes up for with sheer drama. Rourke plays the role of a pathetic, rundown old man perfectly and the supporting cast is all very solid.

I can't really be bothered to write anything in-depth, since it's probably been talked about already, but you should definitely see it if you get the chance. When it comes out over here later this month I'll be making a trip to the cinema to see it again.

Recently Watched: Milk

I kinda dug it, kinda conventional by Van Sant standards but i think the narrative kinda need that, its not the sorta movie to be like...getting all abstract on. I'm not sure if thats an artistic cop out or a director adapting to the tale as the needs to of tale dictate. I think it needed to be told in that kinda....Green Mile, Shawshank, Malcolm X kinda way...then at other times i think that makes the whole think, kinda, sorta...trite? maybe thats too extreme a word but something like trite perhaps. Having said that its conventional by Van Sant standards which is still pretty unconventional by mainstream Hollywood standards...overall i REALLY liked it. Heard about it quite a bit in advance and it was because of hearing that Van Sant was making a movie bout a guy called Harvey Milk that i took the time to do like....a bit of skim research out of interest to see who the fuck this Harvey Milk guy was so i kinda had the story beforehand in that sense. Funnily enough i knew who Anita Bryant was ahead of time. I think it says something that a lot of people still need to hear and that on its own makes it worth it, notwithstanding the fact that its actually a really good movie. Sean Penn really does his job pretty good, i really dug it :)

just watched the assasination of jesse james again, great acting by casey affleck and brad pitt obviously, and also sam rockwell who plays robert ford's brother charlie...i never see him get mentioned, hes in quite a few films...and ive liked him in all the ones that ive seen

Not really a movie but I watched a most recent Masters Of Horror episode the one where Robert Englund is a club owner.

I have not felt so giggdy inside because of Robert and grossed out at the same time because of the ending twist and the great plot.

It was called Dance Of The Dead Directed By Tobe Hopper.

So ended up watching the marathon Scream had.

Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

H. P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch-House

Dance of the Dead

Jenifer

Edited by Spuffy78

Just watched Hunger.

I have absolutely no idea what to say.

I forgive you for everything. :heart: I don't know if there's anything you can say. Just try and get other people to see it and keep an eye on the director, cause considering it was his first film, the possibilities for his career are mind altering. Now see Waltz with Bashir for the ultimate feel good double bill!

Edited by Angelica

Just watched Hunger.

I forgive you for everything. :heart: I don't know if there's anything you can say. Just try and get other people to see it and keep an eye on the director, cause considering it was his first film, the possibilities for his career are mind altering. Now see Waltz with Bashir for the ultimate feel good double bill!

i aint watching no serious animated movie, i draw the fucking line right there :lol: Animation is strictly for laughter purposes, i am not destroying Tom and Jerry for myself, nuh uh :lol:

That movie though...i've slept on it and i still dont know what to say..i dont think i am gonna say anything...dont got any like...anything about it to say that could like...i dunno, fuck this, this is beyond me :lol:

Just watched Hunger.

i aint watching no serious animated movie, i draw the fucking line right there :lol: Animation is strictly for laughter purposes, i am not destroying Tom and Jerry for myself, nuh uh :lol:

Oh, FFS man up! It will blow your mind. Promise.

I watched a couple of horror/sci-fi films the other day. John Carpenter's re-make of The Thing and David Cronenberg's re-make of The Fly. Having seen both the originals of these films i came to an easy conclusion that the re-makes are both far superior in story telling, acting and obviously in special effects as the originals were both made in the '50s. It's a nice change when re-makes outdo the originals as it rarely happens so for those of you who haven't seen these films i suggest you definately try and watch them when you get the chance, i've seen them many times and i still enjoy watching them again.

Edited by Calm Like A Bomb