Film Thread

ssiscool

Just finished watching 1984 ... fucking hell that was the most depressing movie ever. I feel like the living dead after that.

On the plus side, I'm gonna watch Oh Brother Where Art Thou? now. Fuckin' movie and a half, and the soundtrack.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just re-watched Vertigo. A true milestone in cinematic history.

I'm gonna buy some Hitchcock flicks next time I'm in a DVD shop.

Rope, Strangers On A Train, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Sabotage, Rebecca, Notorious, To Catch A Thief, Marnie, Rear Window, The Birds and Frenzy (if thats the one with the necktie killer dude)

If you care for reccomendations i mean :)

You left out Shadow of a Doubt, The Lady Vanishes and Suspicion. Most likely because you suck.

Just finished watching 1984 ... fucking hell that was the most depressing movie ever. I feel like the living dead after that.

On the plus side, I'm gonna watch Oh Brother Where Art Thou? now. Fuckin' movie and a half, and the soundtrack.

and stay out of the wulsworth!

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
I saw the worst film I've seen in months today with a few friends. In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

Well, it's an Uwe Boll film, what did you expect?

Well, to be honest, I've never heard about him before...

I saw the worst film I've seen in months today with a few friends. In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

Ah ok. That's not even his worst film I think. Do an IMDB-search on him. :lol:

The strange thing is: he always seems to get rather big-name actors to star in his garbage-movies. :question:

edit: Now I remember: his worst is 'Alone In The Dark'. That movie was horrible.

Edited by st0n3r

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

The strange thing is: he always seems to get rather big-name actors to star in his garbage-movies. :question:

Now I remember: his worst is 'Alone In The Dark'. That movie was horrible.

Yeah, what the fuck? There were many actors we recognized, but still, everything was really shitty about the film.

I think I saw Gimli there too. I've always thought it was a real midget who played him.

Now I remember: his worst is 'Alone In The Dark'. That movie was horrible.

Yeah, what the fuck? There were many actors we recognized, but still, everything was really shitty about the film.

I think I saw Gimli there too. I've always thought it was a real midget who played him.

From wikipedia:

Boll continues to find investors who wish to acquire the rights for future video-game-to-movie adaptations. His investors are mostly German. He acquires the rights for potential future adaptations and personally oversees preproduction work, filming, and post-production.

Movies directed by Boll have performed poorly at the box office in the United States. House of the Dead (budget: $12 million) broke $5.73 million on opening weekend,[5] Alone in the Dark (budget: $20 million) made over $5.1 million,[6] and BloodRayne (budget: $25 million) topped $2.42 million.[7] But by far the worst commercial performance of his career was In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, which made barely $10 million worldwide at the box office on a $60 million budget.

Boll is able to acquire funding thanks to German tax laws that reward investments in film. The law allows investors in German-owned films to write off 100% of their investment as a tax deduction; it also allows them to invest borrowed money and write off any fees associated with the loan. The investor is then only required to pay taxes on the profits made by the movie; if the movie loses money, the investor gets a tax writeoff.

In the DVD commentary of Alone in the Dark, Boll explains how he funds his films:

"Maybe you know it but it's not so easy to finance movies in total. And the reason I am able to do these kind of movies is I have a tax shelter fund in Germany, and if you invest in a movie in Germany you get basically fifty percent back from the Government."

While Boll has received a lot of negative publicity regarding this funding method,[8] he was actually one of the few directors to use the tax shelter as intended. His films were financed, produced, and directed by a German company, which was the initial intention behind the tax shelter: to provide incentive for investment in German entertainment properties.

EDIT: LOL, this guy is insane:

Critic boxing matches (Raging Boll)

Boll made headlines by challenging his critics to "put up or shut up". In June 2006, his production company issued a press release stating that Boll would challenge his five harshest critics each to a 10 round boxing match. Invitations were also open to film directors Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avary. To qualify, critics had to have written two extremely negative reviews of Boll, in print or on the Web, in 2005. Footage from the fights were to be included on the DVD of his upcoming film Postal.[23] On June 20, 2006, Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka stated on Something Awful that he had been invited by Boll to be the first contestant. Only after that did Kyanka review Alone in the Dark.[24] The online gambling site GoldenPalace.com decided to sponsor this event, dubbing it "Raging Boll". The list of five critics to step into the ring with Boll was drawn up in late August 2006, and featured Kyanka, Rue Morgue magazine writer Chris Alexander, webmaster of Cinecutre Carlos Palencia Jimenez-Arguello, Ain't it Cool News writer Jeff Sneider and Chance Minter, amateur boxer and website critic.[25][26] Boll fought and won against all five participants. The first took place on September 5, 2006 in Málaga, Spain against Carlos Palencia[27] with the rest on September 23, 2006 at the Plaza of Nations in Vancouver.[28]

Edited by st0n3r

I know. The book, whilst excellent and depressing at the same time, painted a very modern picture of the book (like the whole belief that we'd be flying around in rocket cars by this time etc), I thought any film adaptation would be slightly futuristic, but the film, I felt was awful.

Nicholas Cage is never in anything cool.

This post is so very very wrong.

Clearly you've never seen Face/Off or Con Air.

Face Off isn't cool, it's stupid but fun where as Con Air is cool but not because of Nicholas (stupid accent) Cage but because of the main man John Malkovich, he owns that film.