Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicholas Cage is never in anything cool.
Con Air is cool

:huh:

And Face/Off may be stupid but it's still incredibly fucking cool.

What do you want?

Take one goddamn guess.

Boy is my face red but Con Air would still be cool without Cage, i just don't think he can make a film better or cooler.

After being pleasently suprised by The Departed i thought i'd give another new (ish) gangster movie a day in court, despite the fact that it stars two people who i consider to be probably the most overrated actors of all fucking time (Denzel & Russell Crowe). Again, pleasantly suprised, 7 outta 10 i reckon. Is it just me or was that movie filmed darker than necessary?

Pretty good performances by Russ and Denzel although, as good as they can manage anyway. Not that they're not good actors but i do think they're really overpaid and really overrated and really fuckin...i dunno, same old, same old, i've not seen a great deal of eithers movies, probably 5 a piece, even less in Crowes case but thats only cuz they're so fucking lame ass. Denzel Washington has that uncanny ability that only truly mediocre actors have whereby whatever the fuck he stars in and whatever shit he's doing, no matter how different the character is from the preceding one, it all fuckin comes off the same. To put it another way, he never becomes a character, he just looks like Denzel acting.

Just come back from watching The Boat That Rocked. What a film. Unbelievably funny, heartwarming too. A great, great story, portrayed by such fantastic actors; Rhys Ifans, Bill Nighy, Rhys Darby, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Nick Frost, Kenneth Branagh, Chris O'Dowd, Ralph Brown, Jack Davenport, Gemma Arterton, January Jones and Talulah Riley. Brilliant music to soundtrack it, a film I would say I can sort of associate with, loosely based on Radio Caroline, which had a large Essex fanbase, and music I love.

Just come back from watching The Boat That Rocked. What a film. Unbelievably funny, heartwarming too. A great, great story, portrayed by such fantastic actors; Rhys Ifans, Bill Nighy, Rhys Darby, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Nick Frost, Kenneth Branagh, Chris O'Dowd, Ralph Brown, Jack Davenport, Gemma Arterton, January Jones and Talulah Riley. Brilliant music to soundtrack it, a film I would say I can sort of associate with, loosely based on Radio Caroline, which had a large Essex fanbase, and music I love.

Did i not get that properly or did you say its a movie about Radio Caroline? Cuz if it is i'm watching it :):)

Loosely based upon...Boat That Rocked

The official synopsis of the film before release stated that it tells the fictional story about a group of DJs in 1966 who are at odds with a traditionalist British government that prefers to broadcast jazz.[1] However, the film upon release says nothing about jazz on the BBC. Instead it compares the restricted and very limited non-recorded music output of the British Broadcasting Corporation's three radio services of 1966, with a very liberal station. A nod is given to a character who might be seen as the late John Peel on Wonderful Radio London. Another is to Caroline and Radio One DJ Emperor Rosko in the form of Seymour Hoffman's The Count. The film uses a ship that is similar to the last vessel used by Radio Caroline from 1983 to 1990.

As Richard Curtis explained on the Dave Cash BBC Radio Kent show of 28 March 2009, this movie is not intended to be a depiction of the real story of offshore broadcasting to the United Kingdom as it took place in 1966. Curtis told the audience that someone should make such a movie but that his movie is for entertainment purposes only.

Radio Caroline, to anyone who's interested.

Seriously, it's a fantastic music film. Btw, anyone who's seen Wayne's World 2, the English guy who Wayne and Garth visit (the spaced out old roadie guy), he's in the film :)

Edited by markyboy101

Nicholas Cage is never in anything cool.

*Anymore*. Last cool effort was Adaptation and he was in a lot of cool stuff back in the 80s and to a lesser extent 90s. Raising Arizona, Vampire's Kiss, Wild at Heart, etc.

Pretty good performances by Russ and Denzel although, as good as they can manage anyway. Not that they're not good actors but i do think they're really overpaid and really overrated and really fuckin...i dunno, same old, same old, i've not seen a great deal of eithers movies, probably 5 a piece, even less in Crowes case but thats only cuz they're so fucking lame ass.

God I hate you. :(

Edited by Angelica

Hey any of you guys watched Watchmen ? Was it as good (or close ) to the Graphic Novel ?

It hasnt released here yet :(

As close to the graphic novel as they could get really...that's a fuckin hard one to pull off.

No Black Freighter sub-story...and they changed the ending...but the full ending from the graphic novel might show up int the 4 hour dvd release.

I quite liked it.

Karla.

Wow, just uhh wow.

Oh man I keep meaning to pick that one up!

Is it worthy?

If you can find it fore a decent price grab it. Amazon has it up.

It reminded me a lot of the un-comfortableness and the just the vibe that Henry and JK The Girl Next Door have. It's definitely worth it.

If you can find it also pick up Maniacts. similar plot.

Guest Apollo

Stand By Me . . . .last night.

Classic.

It's hard to find a movie that actually makes you remember instances from your own childhood - but this movie captures that feeling sooo many times.

River Phoenix was incredible.

Finally watched "Rumble Fish" a few days ago.

What can I say, incredible movie, thought it lost a bit of it's steam in between but regained it towards the end. All in all one of the best movies I've ever seen. I really had to take a minute or two to digest what I had just seen.

Mickey Rourke is awesome in this movie. He's playing the role of the guy, who's already fallen into something he could've avoided if he'd tried or cared so well, with such an aloofness, such a vulnerability, although he's merely seen as the big guy, the hardest guy in town by others, it's just too good.

I also love how the viewer can never quite grasp the whole spectrum, the whole depth of this character, as he seems so distant, yet so intimate the whole time. He really outshines Matt Dillon and the others, imo.

I also got "9 1/2 Weeks" on my Mickey Rourke rampage a few weeks ago, which, to me, is nothing but an overstyled, pretty inane, typical 80's movie, that is saved by another prime example of Mickey's acting skills. Without him, that movie would be pretty laughable, but he manages to give that movie a really unexpected depth, nearly making it a psycho kind of movie, the way he treats Kim Basinger, manipulates her in a really chauvinistic "I don't give a shit, I just want my fun - Attitude" kind of way, but still shows a sudden fear of being alone or being left behind, having to live this empty, black yuppie-life again. The scenes when Kim Basinger finally left him and he's just staring at the door, counting, hoping that she'll be back when he's reached 10, there's this heartbreaking vulnerability again, that only Mickey manages to include into such an asshole-ish character.

I still have to watch "Homeboy" and "Year of the dragon", and guess what, I can hardly wait seeing Mickey overtaking the screen again, he's become my favourite actor after watching only 3 movies (including The Wrestler).

Edited by Spoon87

Karla.

Wow, just uhh wow.

Oh man I keep meaning to pick that one up!

Is it worthy?

Yeah, its pretty fucked up...very tasteful too, considering what those sick fucks got up too, it coulda been a lot more graphic and messy. Nasty shit though...

Coffy

God bless you Spuffs ;)