Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im about 75% of the way thru funny people and i love it. funny but also touching.

i was near tears at one point, ill admit it.

same when i watched click. i see an embarrasing trend here.

also aubrey plaza is hot as tits. im obsessed with parks & rec right now and i want to do rude things to her.

The Titanic has finally been sunk. And it took another James Cameron epic to do it.

Cameron's sci-fi blockbuster Avatar has now toppled his Oscar-winning 1997 disaster epic Titanic as the all time worldwide box office champ. As of January 25, 2010, Avatar had earned $1,858.9 billion (and counting) at the worldwide box office to Titanic's final tally of $1,843.2 billion.

20th Century Fox said in a statement: "We are deeply gratified that so many millions of people around the globe have embraced Avatar. Its success results from the efforts of literally thousands of people, who, over the course of several years, worked to bring James Cameron's vision of Pandora to life. The themes of protecting the environment, respecting life, and yearning for a peaceful planet have united moviegoers worldwide. We're very proud of, and grateful to, James Cameron, his amazing and dedicated team, and all the many people at Fox, who worked so long and so hard to achieve this milestone."

As Deadline Hollywood points out, "Avatar's higher 3D ticket prices not adjusted for inflation did it. And News Corp insiders think Avatar's worldwide revenue will reach $2 billion -- especially with after next week's Oscar nominations and the March 7 Acadamy Awards."

Avatar, which has so far earned nearly $555 million in North America, is also fast closing in on Titanic's title as the all time domestic box office champ. Titanic's final domestic take was $600.8 million. Given that Avatar has yet to earn less than $30 million a weekend, it will certainly close that gap in a matter of weeks.

Not really surprising however bearing in mind the 3D ticket prices are alot more expensive than normal ones.

Well Cameron certainly knows how to produce a successful movie. Avatar was great no doubt. Still interesting to see that todays movies can't compete with past movies including inflation.

Surely that just means that tickets were more expensive back then if we take inflation into account as the gross is higher and I would imagine due to higher population now then more tickets are sold now for movies then back then?

Well Cameron certainly knows how to produce a successful movie. Avatar was great no doubt. Still interesting to see that todays movies can't compete with past movies including inflation.

Surely that just means that tickets were more expensive back then if we take inflation into account as the gross is higher and I would imagine due to higher population now then more tickets are sold now for movies then back then?

Cameron's movies are overrated. I'm glad I didn't pay more to watch Avatar in 3-D. I read this funny review that said: 'Like staring at the most expensive screensaver ever'. I couldn't agree more.

As for the list of most successful movies, I think people don't go as often to the cinema as they used to since we can easily find leaks. That's my case at least.

saw holmes yesterday 6.5/10

i think the sequel could be a lot better if they focus on a few things

1. holmes drug use, alluded to but barely there

2. Make a villian that is A VILLIAN. i didnt care about mark strongs character, which is a shame as i love his acting

and the biggest

focus more on watson. i love downey, but he got a bit overworked as a character, i understand it was his movie but still. law was the only character i found interesting at all

Cameron's movies are overrated. I'm glad I didn't pay more to watch Avatar in 3-D. I read this funny review that said: 'Like staring at the most expensive screensaver ever'. I couldn't agree more.

As for the list of most successful movies, I think people don't go as often to the cinema as they used to since we can easily find leaks. That's my case at least.

terminator and T2 are NOT overrated.

Just watched Deliverance again...........................cheesy, terrible dialog, predictable..............................but very powerful and entertaining. I think it's a great movie.

or because the cinema has to compete with other media toady more then it had to back in time?

or because the cinema has to compete with other media toady more then it had to back in time?

Not the big hits though. There are 4-5 extremely advertised movies every year that everyone goes see.