Film Thread

ssiscool

Been on a bit of a Christopher Nolan kick after seeing Inception last weekend, rewatched The Dark Knight the other night then have watched The Prestige and Memento today.

Honestly, can this guy do no wrong? Great director, Bale is fantastic in The Prestige and Memento had some great twists to it.

Insomnia is his weakest film but even then it has some good moments.

Imagine Fargo with Williams and Pacino

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been on a bit of a Christopher Nolan kick after seeing Inception last weekend, rewatched The Dark Knight the other night then have watched The Prestige and Memento today.

Honestly, can this guy do no wrong? Great director, Bale is fantastic in The Prestige and Memento had some great twists to it.

Batman Begins is not good.

How?

I've watched too many films to remember lately but here goes.

Adventureland - An awesome film. Kristen Stewart is gorgeous!

Butterfly Effect 2 - I prefer the first but it wasn't that bad.

Funny People - Worth watching maybe once or twice.

Total Recall - Typical Arnie stuff but still awesome.

Liar Liar - Brilliant.

Observe and Report - Quite dark.

Wolf Creek - Those poor tourists.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004

Guest Len B'stard

The Usual Suspects. Convoluted, pretentious, Hollywood cinema that is completely full of itself and just ends feeling totally contrived.

The acting was atrocious. Del Toro playing a quasi-latino, babbling constantly in his too-cool-to-speak-coherently accent. Stephen Baldwin tries so inconceivably hard and consequently fails just as much. One scene where he's wearing glasses at night and holding two pistols aimlessly and firing in front of the camera leaves him looking less like an intense stoic-badass and instead just looks like the spastic Baldwin with a spray-on goatee. Kevin Pollak, really? Half his lines felt as if he was staring directly at a teleprompter.

Kevin Spaceys dialog/narration was just cringe worthy and felt like a blatant Tarantino'esque rip off (as did most of the film). I like him as an actor, but I cannot understand how he received an Academy award for supporting actor in this film.

I watched this movie a few times over the last six months trying to figure out it's appeal and just couldn't do it. 3/10

One of the best posts i've ever read on this forum :)

Watched:

I'll Never Forget What's 'is Name - Oliver Reed, Marianne Faithful, Orson Welles...a brilliant advertising executive with a messed up personal life (mistresses, indesicive nature) realises his life is fulla shit and goes to his office with a huge axe, wrecks it and goes about pursuing a more asthetically and morally satisfying life but his old life won't go away.

Edited by sugaraylen

Anyone seen Piranha 3D yet? Saw it yesterday and I thought it was disgusting. Some good moments, but there's a 10 minute section in the middle that is no dialogue, just bloody chaos. Really don't know what to make of it.

Thoughts?? Sorry if its been discussed before by the way.

Grimo.

Rewatched Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, its so very bad!

It really is beyond shit. I hope Bay doesn't fuck up the third one.

Grimo.

The first was an alright popcorn flick for summer.

The second was a joke, the story is a mess and makes almost no sense and you only get some resolution as to the story 2 hours into the film. Set pieces are poor and CGI is a bit of a mess.

Rewatched Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, its so very bad!

It really is beyond shit. I hope Bay doesn't fuck up the third one.

Grimo.

The first was an alright popcorn flick for summer.

The second was a joke, the story is a mess and makes almost no sense and you only get some resolution as to the story 2 hours into the film. Set pieces are poor and CGI is a bit of a mess.

And who's idea was it to put those Twins in there? And to give Devastator balls?

None of it made any sense. First was a solid start, but the third will need to be shit hot to recover.

Grimo.

How?

I thought it was dull and boring.

How?

I thought it was dull and boring.

ericpuppet.gif

Any particular reason why?

if you liked the prestige then watch the Illusionist. I loved that movie and its of similar style to the Prestige(they came out around the same time too which was weird). I loved the ending too

watched adventureland yesterday, was that meant to be a drama or a comedy? because it did neither well. and that girl in it, the twilight girl, i find her pretty ugly

The Big Lebowski

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

In Bruges

The Princess Bride

- movies I think have PERFECT dialogue. Loads and loads of awesome and quotable lines, and each is perfectly timed for maximum impact and brilliant exchanges. Anyone agree?

Favorite moments: the classroom scene in South Park that ends with Cartman pulling out the megaphone, you see what happens Larry when you fuck a stranger in the ass?, they peed on your fucking rug scene, basically all of Inigo Montoya's and most of Westley's lines, with I want my father back you son of a bitch probably being my absolute favorite line in a movie ever (if you haven't seen the film, it's the context that makes it; it's really bad ass actually), the Robert fucking Powell part in the tower in In Bruges and many, many, many other lines and scenes. I could watch some of those hundreds of times and not get bored with them.

The Big Lebowski

In Bruges

Agreed 100%. These two and American Psycho are probably the three films I remember the dialogue from most because it's just that brilliant. Lebowski especially I constantly find myself quoting in everyday conversation.

I'm finishing my coffee.

Allriiiiiiiiight! Way to go Donny!

Calmer than you are.

I had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man

Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

And the list goes on... every line from that film is just fucking gold. Same goes for In Bruges but it's more complete conversations and the absurdity of them that makes me laugh more than a single line. Comparing purgatory to Tottenham, John Lennon, justifying shooting someone if they know Karate :lol:

im sorry, i wasn't paying attention.

i think thats my favorite line in the movie. its not the best, but i just feel it was timed right and its just the perfect line for that character in that situation. when the cop stops talking there is a 2 second pause , i remember thinking "What is he going to say here?". i laughed so hard, it was perfect.

The Big Lebowski

In Bruges

Agreed 100%. These two and American Psycho are probably the three films I remember the dialogue from most because it's just that brilliant. Lebowski especially I constantly find myself quoting in everyday conversation.

I'm finishing my coffee.

Allriiiiiiiiight! Way to go Donny!

Calmer than you are.

I had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man

And the list goes on... every line from that film is just fucking gold. Same goes for In Bruges but it's more complete conversations and the absurdity of them that makes me laugh more than a single line. Comparing purgatory to Tottenham, John Lennon, justifying shooting someone if they know Karate :lol:

The Big Lebowski is one of my all-time favorite movies. I quote it daily as well. Love it.