Film Thread

ssiscool

I have seen exactly 4 of those movies: Margin Call (script), Ides of March (script), Rango (animated), Harry Potter (art direction, makeup, visuals - what is art direction anyway?). I'm really out of touch...

Margin Call and Rango are excellent; Ides of March and Harry Potter are alright.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Coen brothers True Grit remake was much better than the original. As was the 3:10 to Yuma remake.

I don't think it counts as a remake if it's a new movie based on the same book. (Would all the Hamlet films be remakes then?) I haven't seen the old one or read the novel, but apparently the Coens' one is closer to the original story.

i've not seen any of those films mentioned cept Cape Fear, Psycho, The Departed (i've not seen Infernal Affairs but my mate says it's better than the original) and Fistful of Dollars which, again, i think is evens with Yojjimbo. And the Scarface original is HUGELY better than The DePalma remake...by far and wide. Paul Muni pisses all over Pacino as an actor. The very fact that so much of the 80s version, from scene, set pieces, dialogue is a direct transplant from a movie made in 1932 shows you the fuckin quality of the original.

I definitely preferred the remakes. there's def bad ones which just avoided like Vanishing Point remake.

Heat is remake of LA Takedown? Which I didn't notice when saw Takedown.

A test for me is if they remake Maltese Falcon or Le Maoris cos I've seen them before the remake. Arnie should remake Bogart movies.

Breathless ok was wank remake of Bout de Soufflé or what ever. That Godard one. I'd like see someone remake Weekend.

Hitchcock remakes his own movies.

Disturbia is remake of Rear Wimdow? I didn't see that.

As I make my way through the Mission: Impossible movies, I watched the second today. I haven't seen it in full in at least 10 years. I used to hate it. I never even owned it until I bought the Blu Ray set.

I have to say, I enjoyed it. It's got some flaws of course (the pacing can be unforgiving and the plot is uninspired), but Cruise is great and it has a few fun twists with the face masks. Good for two hours of mindless entertainment. That's the problem though - I don't want to be mindless during Mission: Impossible. I want to have to think.

I normally prefer the modern remakes. Even Pyscho with Anne Heche.

I can't think of a single remake that was better than the original or that added anything that would't've been money better spent on making something fuckin original and not a total cocksuck.

Hills Have Eyes.

Did anyone here buy the latest Transformers movie when it came out on blu-ray?

I've pre-ordered the 3D Blu-ray from Amazon. I know it sucks but I bought a fuckin' 60' LED 3D TV and I'm not using it, I feel like my little brother would love to watch the movie and blow the speakers up. :shrugs:

Just finished watching drive,wow what an exceptional film. Easily the best film i have seen in a while,everything was top notch even the retro 80's feeling soundtrack and the pink font were great. Ryan gosling is definitely one to watch out for, he was good in crazy stupid love too.

Finished off my Mission: Impossible marathon with M:I-3 last night. Awesome movie, aside from the annoying shaky cam of course. I probably haven't watched it since it first came out so I was surprised to discover I forget about a few of the twists. I was confused as all hell when they shot his wife. :lol:

I also watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. A fine performance from Sean Connery, and the movie has lots of good in it. Unfortunately, the dialogue and pacing lets the film down. What could have been an amazing film falls into the "decent" category. Poor acting from almost everybody else, although to be fair the script doesn't give much to work with. The action scenes are well done, the in between? Not so much.

Did anyone here buy the latest Transformers movie when it came out on blu-ray?

I've pre-ordered the 3D Blu-ray from Amazon. I know it sucks but I bought a fuckin' 60' LED 3D TV and I'm not using it, I feel like my little brother would love to watch the movie and blow the speakers up. :shrugs:

The reason I asked is because the regular edition came with a $10 off coupon for the 3D version, and the 3D version is going to be $24.99 at Best Buy, so with the coupon it'll only be $14.99.

So, after reading a review about this blu-ray, and especially the 3D being fantastic quality (besides the movie itself), I might try to pick it up if I can get it for cheap.

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't get it all all.

As for 3D blu-rays, check out Piranha, Tron: Legacy and Resident Evil: Afterlife. Also, pretty much any Disney 3D movie, especially Tangled, which is one of the best 3D films out right now on blu-ray.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo- Intense stuff. I haven't read the book, so I didnt really know what to expect, but it blew me away. Very well directed, and the girl who played Lisbeth was amazing. I also re-fell in love with Trent Reznor's scoring talents. Quite long, but damn good.