Rap Songs that Sample Rock Songs

Death Star

Samples from the Beastie Boys album Licensed to Ill......

Rhymin & Stealin - Contains samples from "Sweet Leaf" by Black Sabbath, "When the Levee Breaks" by Led Zeppelin, & "I Fought the Law" by The Clash

She's Crafty - Contains samples from "The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin

Slow Ride - Contains samples from "Low Rider" by War

Time to Get Ill - Contains samples from "Boogie on Reggae Woman" by Stevie Wonder, "Take the Money and Run" by the Steve Miller Band, "Down on the Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Custard Pie" by Led Zeppelin, "Gucci Time" by Schoolly D, and excerpts from the theme music from Green Acres and Mister Ed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an 2 Pac song (released not long ago) which features an Elton John sample. Don't know how the song is called.

found it.

"Ghetto Gospel" is a song by rapper Tupac Shakur, which was remixed and released as the second single on his 2004 album Loyal to the Game. The song was written by Tupac Shakur and produced by Eminem. The song samples the Elton John song Indian Sunset from his 1971 album Madman Across the Water.

2 Live Crew and Tone Loc both did. 2 Live Crew used "Aint Talkin" Bout Love" while Tone Loc used "Jamie's Cryin" Also recently a rap/r&b group sampled again "Ain't Talkin" Bout Love".

Tone Loc used "Jamie's Cryin" without Van Halen's permission, in other words,he stole it. But I guess thats OK with rap fans. :rolleyes:

I don't think you should be using being the using the word "stole" here.......when it is clear, white people pretty much ripped black people off, when in came to inventing rock-n-roll music. Even some of the guys you idolize (Jagger, Bono, Ramones, Elvis) admit it.

But hey, I guess its ok with Rock fans.

I disagree. Tone Loc took the actual guitar lick from Van Halen, and didn't ask before hand. Weird Al always ask the artist if he can do a parody of their song before he does it.

Project Pat - Posse Song (Marilyn Manson - Coma Black)

Three 6 Mafia - Shut Ya Mouth Bitch (Cradle of Filth - From The Cradle To Enslave)

Three 6 Mafia - Smoke Dat Weed (Linkin Park - In The End)

Three 6 Mafia - Gone Be Sum Shit (Metallica - The Unforgiven)

Three 6 Mafia - U See We Poe (Cradle of Filth - No Time To Cry)

Just to name a few, Three 6 is the shit

That Metallica sample is actually Apocalyptica's version

Huh???

Three 6 Mafia - Shut Ya Mouth Bitch (Cradle of Filth - From The Cradle To Enslave)

Huh???

Yep it is Apocalyptica's go listen to their version and compare it to Triple Six's Gone Be Sum Shit

Huh???

Yep it is Apocalyptica's go listen to their version and compare it to Triple Six's Gone Be Sum Shit

Yeah you are right. Thing is i've never actually listened to Apocalyptica before, I just knew it was The Unforgiven. Cool we got another Three 6 fan on this board, thought I was the only one haha

Edited by Forsaken

5ive - We will rock you - Queen.

Kind of rap their way through it. I was so gutted when May & Taylor played it live with them once.

Chamillionaire & Lil Wayne sampled the thumping & clapping bit on their song Roc Star. Which was shit.

The guitar lick is also a part of YCBM I think. The lick during "While you're breakin' down my back n'

I been rackin' out my brain"

maybe I'm wrong.

Actually, a couple of these aren't really samples.

Like, the Jay-Z song using the riff from The Doors is really a cover. He couldn't get permission to sample the original recording, so instead, he got a guitarist to record a cover of it. That way, he didn't have to get permission, he just had to pay the Compulsory License.

And Weird Al doesn't have to get permission. He just pays the compulsory license.

Except for his Parody of Gangster Paradise (Amish Paradise). Ice T sued Weird Al to keep him from recording it. Since Compulsory Licensing doesn't require permission from copyright holders, Ice T lost the lawsuit, and Weird Al was so pissed about the whole thing that he claimed his version a parody, so that he didn't have to pay Ice T at all.

Like, the Jay-Z song using the riff from The Doors is really a cover. He couldn't get permission to sample the original recording, so instead, he got a guitarist to record a cover of it. That way, he didn't have to get permission, he just had to pay the Compulsory License.

And Weird Al doesn't have to get permission. He just pays the compulsory license.

Except for his Parody of Gangster Paradise (Amish Paradise). Ice T sued Weird Al to keep him from recording it. Since Compulsory Licensing doesn't require permission from copyright holders, Ice T lost the lawsuit, and Weird Al was so pissed about the whole thing that he claimed his version a parody, so that he didn't have to pay Ice T at all.

You mean Coolio.

Rhymin & Stealin - Contains samples from "Sweet Leaf" by Black Sabbath, "When the Levee Breaks" by Led Zeppelin, & "I Fought the Law" by The Clash

Time to Get Ill - Contains samples from "Boogie on Reggae Woman" by Stevie Wonder, "Take the Money and Run" by the Steve Miller Band, "Down on the Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Custard Pie" by Led Zeppelin, "Gucci Time" by Schoolly D, and excerpts from the theme music from Green Acres and Mister Ed

I was thinking about "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn" on the same album cuz it's got a rock sound to it, but I don't know if that one does.

I LOVE "She's Crafty". :lol::heart: One of my favs by them.

I was thinking about "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn" on the same album cuz it's got a rock sound to it, but I don't know if that one does.

I LOVE "She's Crafty". :lol::heart: One of my favs by them.

Some say No Sleep samples AC/DC's T.N.T. while others Joan Jetts I love Rock and Roll. Kerry King plays on it too.

You mean Coolio.

Sorry, dude, forgot who it was, and just guessed Ice T

Huh???

Yeah you are right. Thing is i've never actually listened to Apocalyptica before, I just knew it was The Unforgiven. Cool we got another Three 6 fan on this board, thought I was the only one haha

Koopsta Knicca uses Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam" the cool sitar part for his songs "Halloween" and "Torture Chamber"

Chamillionaire uses the synth line from The Final Countdown by Europe in his song Industry Groupie

also, Gym Class Heroes use the songs Breakfast In America by Supertramp, and We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off (To Have A Good Time)(can't remember who did that one) in their songs Cupids Chokehold and Clothes Off, respectively

Chamillionaire uses the synth line from The Final Countdown by Europe in his song Industry Groupie

also, Gym Class Heroes use the songs Breakfast In America by Supertramp, and We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off (To Have A Good Time)(can't remember who did that one) in their songs Cupids Chokehold and Clothes Off, respectively

So does Three Six Mafia in their song "Champions"

So does Three Six Mafia in their song "Champions"

:D

You know their new album has been delayed for almost two years now? It's slated for summer this year but fuck, who knows