AUDIOPHILES ONLY. MFSL JAPAN APPETITE CD

played it on the stereo system and perhaps i need to listen to them back to back but i was only able to tell a few differences:

-the drumming felt warmer kinda like the LP and not so low

-around the beginning i never knew about the part when axl harmonizes with himself on "where the grass is green" it sounded like the way carrie underwood sings it and I really liked it

-slashs solo at the end did seem a bit cooler and you can tell where the notes were.

id like to give it another listen when my roommates arent around but it was awesome

THANKS AGAIN!

Downloading that PC now, thanks a load ER, I hope it blows me away. These discs are far too expensive for me though, I think I'll search for some sort of website that people upload them too, there's gotta be a bunch of Audiophile sites that do that. I would have assumed that a computers disc reader wasn't good enough to get the most out of these discs though? Like it wouldn't capture the true quality?

Update: Through my stereo you can't tell all too much difference, it just sounds a bit crisper. I've got an alright stereo, but nothing amazing. I expect to hear it better in my headphones though.

Edited by FunkyMonk

I didn't burn mine to disc - I have a folder of FLAC albums on my external hard drive that I use Foobar to play. I have a pretty good speaker setup on my computer though - you won't be able to tell a difference unless you have the right equipment. Someone once used a pretty good analogy for FLAC and I can't remember what it was, but a lot of people who download them probably don't even have optimal equipment for playback - myself included - meaning we're not getting the most out of it. I can tell a difference, but I'd hear a larger difference if I had a dual soundcard with premium hi-fi speakers and everything.

Speakers have nothing on good headphones IMO, it's not even really compareable with the stereo v headphones in my case. Not that that's really relevant, but you know, I would never spend money on an expensive stereo if I could spend the same amount of money on brilliant earphones.

Well...I'll definitely be downloading this album for my iPod. It sounds pretty darn amazing; totally worth the large amount of space it will take up. Are there any other CD's like this that are worth the extra-high quality on? I imagine Nevermind would be particularily breathtaking.

I actually feel sorry for people who haven't spent upwards of $150 on good earphones, it seems like a stupid thing to say, but it's like hearing music through a new set of ears.

Edited by FunkyMonk

Thanks for uploading that ER. I figure I should listen to it on my stereo rather than my PC but that'll necessitate a burn to CD first and I don't want to waste a CD for just one song. Maybe I'll fit it onto some sort of CD soon and then I'll give it a listen.

Not sure how even the most expensive headphones could compare to, say, a $4,000 stereo. I would think it would be lacking in bass impact, where a good set of speakers could output really tight bass that sends vibrations through the floor, walls, and air - an effect that can send chills up your spine and something you just can't get through earphones. I would think speakers enhance dynamics and a clean sound too. That said, earphones are also right up against your ear and so perhaps detail and things like ambiance are maximized. I dunno, I never really compared closely, and I've never listened to anything more than moderately priced earphones. I've got a set of Sony earphones now that I paid $40 or so for. They are pretty good. They are this kind of design: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921665376489

which far as I gather is the best design for audio quality. I dig the bass - it's got lots of it and it's well controlled. But I can only imagine what a $200 pair of Shure or JBL headphones sound like.

I'm so fucking into audio now. I plan to slowly upgrade my stereo starting maybe as early as this year (gotta manage my debt level first though!). I'll probably allocate my funds like this: $600-800 integrated amp, $500-1,000 CD/SACD/DVD-A player, $1,500 speakers, $1,000 record player, and a few hundred for a tuner. But I might wait a bit as I'm actually quite happy with the sound coming out of my system right now. I've discovered just how much the bass quality improved when I turned off my sub. Subs tend to produce muddy bass that is not always easy to integrate with the speakers. The bass is now a bit thin but it's also of higher quality and still thumps pretty good. Invested $50 in higher quality speaker cable and the difference is surprising.

Edited by KBear

I can only imagine what a $200 pair of Shure headphones sound like.

Orgasmic. I can only imagine then what $600 + earphones sound like. I think earphones force you to listen to the song, rather than getting distracted with other things, which perhaps gives the illusion of better quality. Maybe I've just never heard a mindblowing stereo before, but if I really want to listen to my music, in go the earphones.

Edited by FunkyMonk