Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

Why are you reading that?

He also hangs out with an artist.

I think this was after his wife died.

After building the nuke he became a peacenik and like playing drums at love ins. :rofl-lol:

Because Feynman was incredibly brilliant, I've listened to a lot of his lectures, and he's a bit of a crazy guy, so he's interesting. I'm (attempting to be) a physicist, so when I'm not doing physics problems, I read about physics and physicists for fun. And make 39 posts per day at mygnrforum, of course :lol:

Just I know quite a few physicists would never even have heard of him. I know that book sort of made it into Michael Palin territory.

He was famous for lectures that made complete sense when he was speaking but after he left everyone was suddenly completely lost.

Nah, Feynman is a big name in physics.

Feynman is totally the racy version of Raymond Smullyan. Never before did I imagine mathematics went so well with passages about topless bars. :blink: Although I do prefer his What Do You Care What Other People Think?, purely for the extensive space shuttle talk.

I'll be reading that right after I finish Surely You Must Be Joking.

Why are you reading that?

He also hangs out with an artist.

I think this was after his wife died.

After building the nuke he became a peacenik and like playing drums at love ins. :rofl-lol:

Because Feynman was incredibly brilliant, I've listened to a lot of his lectures, and he's a bit of a crazy guy, so he's interesting. I'm (attempting to be) a physicist, so when I'm not doing physics problems, I read about physics and physicists for fun. And make 39 posts per day at mygnrforum, of course :lol:

Just I know quite a few physicists would never even have heard of him. I know that book sort of made it into Michael Palin territory.

He was famous for lectures that made complete sense when he was speaking but after he left everyone was suddenly completely lost.

Nah, Feynman is a big name in physics.

He is like the most famous after Einstein and Hawkings.

I guess it was at school people studying physics, they stuck to the syllabus.

American Psycho is my favourite book.

I've read it WAY too many times, but everytime I read it I just go all "WOW!".

Because it makes so much sense and it tells so much about the Postmodern Society, which I personally find incredibly interesting.

However if you're not so interested in Postmodernism, you might not find it as smashing as I do...

But I mean, it is entertaining also.

But it is written so psychologically well, and that's why I just love it.

But yeah. No. Read it. It's good. It is a good book.

Less Than Zero as well.

I like The Informers - theres a group of vampires killing people all over LA but each short story is seperate but mainly just blondes with tans smoking by pools with divorced parents on coke. The vampires are never really seen but they have a prescence.

I think they've all been re-issued with new covers so he looks more like classy literature. It just says Ellis down the spin and very minimalist cover.

Just started reading Stalingrad by Antony Beevor. It's funny how WW2 books always fascinate me; I haven't read a WW2 book I didn't enjoy thus far.

If you like WW2 stuff, you'll enjoy John Toland's books (Infamy: Pearl Harbor And Its Aftermath, The Last 100 Days, The Rising Sun).

Cool, I'll look for some of his works next time I'm at the library. :)

Of Grammatology by Derrida is my bible at the moment.

Good luck with it...

I can't stand "French theory". The only French theoretician that I enjoy is Guy Debord (and he despised "French theory").

What exactly is your problem with "French theory" (as a whole) exactly - is it its complications? its apparent nihilism? its anti-enlightenment elements?

What do you guys think about Stephen King's The Stand? I want to start reading Stephen King's books, and I hear The Stand is his magnum opus. If I read this first, is this the book which will be the one the future Stephen King books I read will be judged and found lacking?

What do you guys think about Stephen King's The Stand? I want to start reading Stephen King's books, and I hear The Stand is his magnum opus. If I read this first, is this the book which will be the one the future Stephen King books I read will be judged and found lacking?

I would call The Shining his magnum opus, but The Stand is a pretty dense one as well. It's kind of hefty for your first King novel to take on.

I started with Pet Sematary and then moved onto Salem's Lot. Out of all his novels though, It would be the one I would recommend never to miss, it's powerful in so many ways.

The Dark Tower is his magnum opus!!!!! It encompasses all his books, the stand, the shining, salems lot, It, practically evrything. The Dark Tower books are also the best ive ever read. It shits me that tons of people read Stephen King and ignore his best work. The Stand is epic and fantastic but its no Dark Tower, buy The Gunlsinger (first dark tower book) if you wana start reading King. Although it might be actually better to read The Stand and Salems lot first as these books have a bit to do with the Tower. Carries is great to. But The Dark Tower is widely regarded by everyone, including Stephen King himself as his magnum opus!!!!!!!! No other book has taken over my life quite like The Dark Tower, everyone i know who reads it goes through the same shit, they start noticing strange shit happening around them. Read The Dark Tower!