Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

After reading the Neil Young book I inteded to g back to the Sharpe stories, but instead found this in my pile of books to read:

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer, by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

It's entertaining enough this far, but probably a bit boring to people without a profesional interest in cancer and oncology.

What do you do for a living that you have a professional interest in cancer?
I am in the biotech/pharma industry.

Whereabouts in it? :)

Production technology for biopharmaceuticals.

I'm reading a nice little book on the origins of capitalism, the merchant ships carrying back spices and such section is the most important, I almost fell asleep as it progressed but it's still compelling even if I prefer the doomed voyages and exotic spices. Also Perdido Street Station by China Mieville is one of the ten I am actively reading/re-reading right now, this book fades and fades fucking hard when it hits the three quarter mark but all before that, well this man is bordering on genius, he is just a very very good writer who breathes the craft. He'll go down as a great , I heard he wants to write a novel in every genre and I have three of his others, which all show greatness when I've flicked through them, he's well on his way to reaching that goal.

Just finished Chrissie Hynde's book - she gets into growing up in Ohio looking for adventure, she got into the days leading up to the Kent State massacre as well as going to England and being there in the beginning of punk, and leaves off with the deaths of her two bandmates. I did go back to listen to the first three albums and they've held up well.

The rape incident was mentioned but not a lot of people know she made a song out of it.

Just finished Chrissie Hynde's book - she gets into growing up in Ohio looking for adventure, she got into the days leading up to the Kent State massacre as well as going to England and being there in the beginning of punk, and leaves off with the deaths of her two bandmates. I did go back to listen to the first three albums and they've held up well.

The rape incident was mentioned but not a lot of people know she made a song out of it.

She sometimes hangs out in a vegan restaurant across the way from where i work. Any mention of John and Sidney? Joe Strummer?

She sometimes hangs out in a vegan restaurant across the way from where i work. Any mention of John and Sidney? Joe Strummer?

Not heavily (she does bring up the "getting married to the Sex Pistols" story and hanging out with The Clash on their first tour, plus The Damned are brought up), but she also brings up Iggy Pop as a kindred spirit and driving Bowie around in her mom's car when she still lived in Ohio, working at the NME as well as working at Vivienne and Malcolm's shop and this was long before Lydon entered the picture, when Steve Jones was just a delinquent kid hanging around the shop.

If it wasn't for punk rock, her life definitely would have taken a different path. I also saw Viv Albertine put a book out a year ago and will eventually get around to reading that one.

Probably the next rock bio is John Fogerty.... definitely going to be a lot of band feud battles in that one.

Edited by dalsh327

Just started reading the last Jackie Collins book "Santangelos"

This might be the last book Jackie will ever write. I'm hoping she made some notes for a new book, but nothing has been said.

I love reading Jackie's books. They are always good to read when you want to get away from your daily life! She was a master at guilty pleasure books.

I finished The Martian earlier this week.

It has it's flaws but I blasted through it in 2 days because I was so interested. I can't wait to see the movie.

Same here... the main character's constant joking gets a little old but it is a good read if you are into space stuff. Also looking forward to the movie.....