Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

15 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Charles Manson is his own special brand of crazy. as for him basically calling Bundy a sissy this is amusing to me. this is a man who didn't even have the balls to himself kill in the spree killings involving Sharon Tate and all who were there or the subsequent one involving the Folger family! it's been said Charles Manson most likely felt "safe" being in prison; Bundy escaped prison and may still have been free and on the run if he hadn't had the compulsion to kill at that sorority. 

i feel perhaps there should be a thread on our "favorite" serial killers and such ;)

No he wouldnt be free, he didnt make it out there so long because he was some kinda fuckin' genius, he made it so long because police were badly coordinated and inexperienced in this kinda shit, he would've been caught eventually, just like that fuckin' weenie Dennis Rader, BTK killer, so called criminal fuckin' genius, comes back out of retirement to start taunting the police, sends them a floppy disk, the cops go 'file', 'properties' and then nab him, thats how bright these dickheads are :lol:

The equivalent to these guys now, the improved version are these random fuckin' outta nowhere terrorist nuts like Omar Mateen and them, the serial killer in that old 70s and 80s sense is pretty near extinct in the western world because our police forces have experience through people like Bundy etc.

8 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Getting others to do it dont do you no favours either, according to the law of conspiracy anyone involved in a criminal conspiracy is equally as liable as those committing the crime, some of the family are out right now, meanwhile Charlies still counting days in Vacaville or Cocoran or whatever shithole they've got him in.

yeah i know. on another note, when i was in my teens my friend and i were in Folsom getting stoned ( we lived a few miles from there ) and in our totally whacked out condition we thought it would be fun to go and visit ole Charlie. the moment passed and later i found out he was not even there at the time we had this idea, he was already in Corcoran.

5 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah i know. on another note, when i was in my teens my friend and i were in Folsom getting stoned ( we lived a few miles from there ) and in our totally whacked out condition we thought it would be fun to go and visit ole Charlie. the moment passed and later i found out he was not even there at the time we had this idea, he was already in Corcoran.

Squeaky Fromme lives just outside New York, the cracked bitch, there'd be someone worth looking up for a laugh.  Speaking of Squeaky, the dude that shot Reagen, John Hinckley is getting released in a bit.

• Like 1

Just now, Len B'stard said:

Squeaky Fromme lives just outside New York, the cracked bitch, there'd be someone worth looking up for a laugh.  Speaking of Squeaky, the dude that shot Reagen, John Hinckley is getting released in a bit.

i just heard that about Hinckley. what a nut job and someone actually said oh he's all better now let's release him!

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i just heard that about Hinckley. what a nut job and someone actually said oh he's all better now let's release him!

See with the mentalists they're considered not culpable by way of being bat-shit, so if they recover you've gotta let em out I suppose.

Just now, Len B'stard said:

See with the mentalists they're considered not culpable by way of being bat-shit, so if they recover you've gotta let em out I suppose.

well it's been 35 years, don't they let murderers go after about that long where you live? this is based on the numerous crime shows i watch. a side note to Reagan being shot i just watched this doucmentry about it where they talked to a couple of the surgeons who operated in him. they couldnt find the bullet so one of them tells the other pick up his heart so we can look behind it. so this doctor has his beating heart in his hands. all this time later and you can tell it was still an extremely stressful thing. yikes! and when Reagan was in the operating room he joked w/the doctors saying he hoped they were Republicans. they joked back for today we are!

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

well it's been 35 years, don't they let murderers go after about that long where you live? this is based on the numerous crime shows i watch. a side note to Reagan being shot i just watched this doucmentry about it where they talked to a couple of the surgeons who operated in him. they couldnt find the bullet so one of them tells the other pick up his heart so we can look behind it. so this doctor has his beating heart in his hands. all this time later and you can tell it was still an extremely stressful thing. yikes! and when Reagan was in the operating room he joked w/the doctors saying he hoped they were Republicans. they joked back for today we are!

Even still, i bet they considered punting it across the room for a moment there :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -W.A.R- said:

who picks Jodie Foster to be obsessed over anyway

bet he feels stupid that shes slit licker

heh! yeah he had better choices for sure. of course he's crazy sooo...and he had to be completely bonkers to think oh i know what will impress her, i'll kill the President! and then he failed anyway. the one i felt most sorry for was James Brady, he really got messed up cos of cuckoo for cocoa puffs Hinckley. sadly that ruined his life.

I'm not doing so good with the reading. I can't stop watching this channel called Dave. Just marathons of Room 101. 

I read 2666 by Roberto Bolanos a while ago. That sort of fits the theme this thread has gone. But it's such a vast book it's hard to really talk about it. It kind of has a serial killer but he's put in context of history of murders of women in Mexico and also parts about nazis in WWII and kind of a dracula section. It seems very realistic but also completely surreal. After you finish it you feel like you should read it again. 

23 minutes ago, wasted said:

I'm not doing so good with the reading. I can't stop watching this channel called Dave. Just marathons of Room 101. 

I read 2666 by Roberto Bolanos a while ago. That sort of fits the theme this thread has gone. But it's such a vast book it's hard to really talk about it. It kind of has a serial killer but he's put in context of history of murders of women in Mexico and also parts about nazis in WWII and kind of a dracula section. It seems very realistic but also completely surreal. After you finish it you feel like you should read it again. 

what is room 101? i feel like reading Fatal Vision again but my copy is falling apart, cheap paperback! i keep waiting for Jeffrey MacDonald to die, that worthless pile of excrement. and Scott Peterson, he will not be executed mark my words. and he should not be allowed to live the way i've heard he lives, his cushy time on Death Row. i almost wish they'd commute his sentence to life in prison, send him out into General Population and let the prisoners take care him him like Dahmer was taken care of. :max:

21 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

what is room 101? i feel like reading Fatal Vision again but my copy is falling apart, cheap paperback! i keep waiting for Jeffrey MacDonald to die, that worthless pile of excrement. and Scott Peterson, he will not be executed mark my words. and he should not be allowed to live the way i've heard he lives, his cushy time on Death Row. i almost wish they'd commute his sentence to life in prison, send him out into General Population and let the prisoners take care him him like Dahmer was taken care of. :max:

I think Ian Huntely got stabbed in prison recently. 

It's a british tv show where 3 celebish guests suggest things to banish to room 101. And the the host decides which one goes in. 

Edited by wasted
Info
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think Ian Huntely got stabbed in prison recently. 

he was stabbed in the neck and survivied wtf is up with THAT? these prisoners need a class on basic anatomy, how to aim for the carotid artery or the jugular vein. hell even a decent disembowelment would do the job!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

9 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

he was stabbed in the neck and survivied wtf is up with THAT? these prisoners need a class on basic anatomy, how to aim for the carotid artery or the jugular vein. hell even a decent disembowelment would do the job!

Shanks aren't what they used to be. 

• Like 1

On 25-7-2016 at 9:28 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i like ( and have read ) most of King's older books. i read The Stand every year, it is utterly fascinating to me. another favorite is Needful Things. i just finished re-reading It and would have liked it better if King hadn't made Big Bill a stutter. i found reading the stuttering parts tedious, but other than that it was pretty good.

"needfull things" was pretty cool, but would have fared better as a short story.

"the stand" was spoiled by the series. I could never finish the book because i already know whats happening.

I LOVE hearts in atlantis though. it's such a melancholical book. somehow it reminds me of forrest gump or even "secret history" (donna tartt) in the elements of lost love it so masterfully touches on. that book has one of SK's best endings (king isnt know for writing great ending, lol.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, action said:

"needfull things" was pretty cool, but would have fared better as a short story.

"the stand" was spoiled by the series. I could never finish the book because i already know whats happening.

I LOVE hearts in atlantis though. it's such a melancholical book. somehow it reminds me of forrest gump or even "secret history" (donna tartt) in the elements of lost love it so masterfully touches on. that book has one of SK's best endings (king isnt know for writing great ending, lol.)

i actually bought the stand so i could read it before the series. ugh Molly Ringwold as Fran was awful. Gary Sinise was a good choice for Stu for it being a TV project and at the time it was made. Adam Storke, who was an unknown to me, was a pleasant surprise ( and he was HOTTTT ;) ) Baby Can You Dig Your Man? hahaha. but the book was so much more, shame it was spoiled for you. one of the best parts of the book they didn't even touch on, it was what happened to the people who survived but then died because of what King called the secondary epidemic. someone died because he was a junkie, he found where his dealer kept his stash and slammed a big amount into his arm and died, he hadn't taken into consideraton that the stuff was pure, not cut with anything and it was so strong it killed him. there were other people who died of similar things, King said:  "in a strictly Darwinian sense it was the final cut-the unkindest cut of all, some might say." they also cut the whole part where Larry had found a companion, Rita Blakemoor, an older socialite who was pretty clueless. that part was necessary to me in the book so that it was cut from the mini series did not sit well with me. other parts were cut out or mashed together, i'm hoping that if The Stand movies they are talking about do get made they will keep most of the parts in. i think it's supposed to be 4 movies in the manner of Hunger Games and such.

Needful Things was a great book for me, sometimes a bit slow but for a book it was fine. i never saw the TV version, after seeing The Stand i really had no interest. i loved the part where the women each had something they bought from Leland Gaunt that was supposed to have been owned by Elvis Presley; one had the dark glasses the other an autographed picture of "The King". last summer when i read it for the umpteenth time i thought ah this would be great for me to have something like these things from Axl Rose with such powers :lol:

i have never read Hearts In Atlantis, might have to check that out. Carrie was my first, and then i saw the movie and the movie was pretty damn close to the book IMO. The Shining was good but bore little resemblance to the book mainly because of the way Jack Nicholson played Paul Sheldon, too over the top for me. Loved Misery and i loved Kathy Bates as Annie. and i love the book heroine's name...Misery Chastain!

i could go on and on and on, but i won't. this is more than enough! :)

p.s. did you read Pet Cemetery?? :P

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

14 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i actually bought the stand so i could read it before the series. ugh Molly Ringwold as Fran was awful. Gary Sinise was a good choice for Stu for it being a TV project and at the time it was made. Adam Storke, who was an unknown to me, was a pleasant surprise ( and he was HOTTTT ;) ) Baby Can You Dig Your Man? hahaha. but the book was so much more, shame it was spoiled for you. one of the best parts of the book they didn't even touch on, it was what happened to the people who survived but then died because of what King called the secondary epidemic. someone died because he was a junkie, he found where his dealer kept his stash and slammed a big amount into his arm and died, he hadn't taken into consideraton that the stuff was pure, not cut with anything and it was so strong it killed him. there were other people who died of similar things, King said:  "in a strictly Darwinian sense it was the final cut-the unkindest cut of all, some might say." they also cut the whole part where Larry had found a companion, Rita Blakemoor, an older socialite who was pretty clueless. that part was necessary to me in the book so that it was cut from the mini series did not sit well with me. other parts were cut out or mashed together, i'm hoping that if The Stand movies they are talking about do get made they will keep most of the parts in. i think it's supposed to be 4 movies in the manner of Hunger Games and such.

Needful Things was a great book for me, sometimes a bit slow but for a book it was fine. i never saw the TV version, after seeing The Stand i really had no interest. i loved the part where the women each had something they bought from Leland Gaunt that was supposed to have been owned by Elvis Presley; one had the dark glasses the other an autographed picture of "The King". last summer when i read it for the umpteenth time i thought ah this would be great for me to have something like these things from Axl Rose with such powers :lol:

i have never read Hearts In Atlantis, might have to check that out. Carrie was my first, and then i saw the movie and the movie was pretty damn close to the book IMO. The Shining was good but bore little resemblance to the book mainly because of the way James Caan played Pail Sheldon, too over the top for me. loved Kathy Bates as Annie. and i love the book heroine's name...Misery Chastain!

i could go on and on and on, but i won't. this is more than enough! :)

p.s. did you read Pet Cemetery?? :P

i could never finish the stand and it bothers me to no end. i hate to have half-read books in my library :P

i've seen pet cemetery the movie. a great B-movie, i thought :P

• Like 1

On 28/07/2016 at 6:09 PM, -W.A.R- said:

who picks Jodie Foster to be obsessed over anyway

bet he feels stupid that shes a slit licker

I always thought it was pedo thing, cuz she plays a kid in Taxi Driver, doesn't she?  And thats what 'inspired' him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, action said:

i could never finish the stand and it bothers me to no end. i hate to have half-read books in my library :P

i've seen pet cemetery the movie. a great B-movie, i thought :P

obviously this over 100 degree weather has fried my brain. i meant Jack Nicholson was over the top in the movie The Shining. then i went onto  describing Misery without an explanatin  *slinking quietly away now in quiet humiliation*

would say something about my misspelling Pet Sematary but too humiliated :no:

38 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

obviously this over 100 degree weather has fried my brain. i meant Jack Nicholson was over the top in the movie The Shining. then i went onto  describing Misery without an explanatin  *slinking quietly away now in quiet humiliation*

would say something about my misspelling Pet Sematary but too humiliated :no:

i was gonna say theres a reason why it bore little resemblance to the book :lol:

Stephen King who wrote the book hated the film:

“The character of Jack Torrance has no arc in that movie. Absolutely no arc at all. When we first see Jack Nicholson, he’s in the office of Mr Ullman, the manager of the hotel, and you know then he’s crazy as a shithouse rat. All he does is get crazier. In the book, he’s a guy who’s struggling with his sanity and finally loses it. To me, that’s a tragedy. In the movie, there’s no tragedy because there’s no real change.”

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 2

Just now, -W.A.R- said:

i was gonna say theres a reason why it bore little resemblance to the book :lol:

Stephen King who wrote the book hated the film. he said Jack was supposed to slip into being crazy but in the film jack is crazy as a shithouse rat the moment we see him :lol:

yes Nicholson was definitely over the top. that's why i prefer the book :) wasn't there a mini series too? i don't think it was well received.