Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

16 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

never even heard of these but they sound very cool! are they adult oriented or can children read them as well? because they sound like a great way to get kids to read :)

They're for children through to adults. They tend to be typical fantasy adventures, such as going into a dungeon to kill an evil wizard, or rescuing a maiden from a vampire in a tower, and every decision is up to the person reading the book, so each section gives you a choice as to what you want to do, and a page to turn to for each decision. As you can see, they are completely jumbled up, page wise, so you end up flipping through the whole book a bunch of times in order to get to the end, and you can start it again and make different choices.

FightingFantasy05.jpg

I hadn't given them any thought in 20 years until I saw something about them a few weeks ago.

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

They're for children through to adults. They tend to be typical fantasy adventures, such as going into a dungeon to kill an evil wizard, or rescuing a maiden from a vampire in a tower, and every decision is up to the person reading the book, so each section gives you a choice as to what you want to do, and a page to turn to for each decision. As you can see, they are completely jumbled up, page wise, so you end up flipping through the whole book a bunch of times in order to get to the end, and you can start it again and make different choices.

FightingFantasy05.jpg

I hadn't given them any thought in 20 years until I saw something about them a few weeks ago.

very cool :)

2 hours ago, PappyTron said:

Does anyone read, or liked to have read, choose your own adventure style books, such as the Fighting Fantasy series? You know: Turn to page 83 if you wish to fight the Goblin. Turn to page 151 if you wish to flee.

Oh my gosh, I remember these..there was a big craze in public school, back in the early, um...nineties, yes definitely the nineties :ph34r:

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎21 at 1:33 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it's getting close to Halloween so i am re-reading The Vampire Lestat. it's kinda pissing me off because i just recently re-read for the umpteenth time Interview With The Vampire and The Vampire Lestat makes Lestat into a totally different character. i know Lestat took off as the favorite but it still is annoying me, it didn't before. i think i'm getting more cynical as i get older...

Oh I loved these novels...I can't read any of her more recent works though, her writing is just..well, not good lol.

• Like 1

If I should die by Allison Brennan

When the movie "Interview with a Vampire" came out, I started to read the books.

I think I read most of them except the last one where Lestat became a saint. I got bored when Ann Rice wrote the vampires in the witch books. I didn't like those books nor did I read them.

I did like how Rice wrote them in the first person of Lestat. Made me believe he was actually alive in a way.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:33 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it's getting close to Halloween so i am re-reading The Vampire Lestat. it's kinda pissing me off because i just recently re-read for the umpteenth time Interview With The Vampire and The Vampire Lestat makes Lestat into a totally different character. i know Lestat took off as the favorite but it still is annoying me, it didn't before. i think i'm getting more cynical as i get older...

Louis always annoyed me because he kept complaining about being a vampire and having to drink from humans. Oh please, there are so many horrible people in the world you would have a feast picking them.

Besides eventually Lestat and all the other vampires learned to just feed on humans without killing them.

Louis complained up until he got Lestat's blood to stay alive. Finally he accepted the gift Lestat gave him and stopped complaining.

Who wouldn't want to stay young forever?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Louis always annoyed me because he kept complaining about being a vampire and having to drink from humans. Oh please, there are so many horrible people in the world you would have a feast picking them.

Besides eventually Lestat and all the other vampires learned to just feed on humans without killing them.

Louis complained up until he got Lestat's blood to stay alive. Finally he accepted the gift Lestat gave him and stopped complaining.

Who wouldn't want to stay young forever?

it just irked me that in The Vampire Lestsat she basically changed Lestat's character completely. all of a sudden Lestat became a good not to mention a Super Vampire. she backtracked and made Louis this simpering liar who merely IMO was just grieving for his humanity. i would gave been ok if she'd made Lestat the bad Vampire he was in Interview, mocking Louis for wishing he'd never accepted the Dark Gift. She tried to make Lestat a good  Vampire with a few bad habits.

but that's the beauty of people reading the same book and coming up with different takes on it no? :)

54 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I did like how Rice wrote them in the first person of Lestat. Made me believe he was actually alive in a way.

actually the undead :P

Today for the first time I met some author I really love, Steven Erickson :D Listened his 2 panels and he is so intelligent and his voice and the way he talks is amazing. I feel like I could listen to him for hours talking about making coffee or something :lol: Got my book signed during official part but the best part was meeting him by accident on the street after that. Wanted to talk to him for a 30 seconds just to say hi and usual stuff, but somehow we ended up talking for 15 minutes at least, he asked me for my email so he could write me back his impressions of Serbian authors and books I recommended him. 

I'm reading this Barnes & Noble release called Seven Novels by Jules Verne;

Image result

I've read Around The World In Eighty Days, I'm now reading Journey To The Center Of The Earth;

Axel and his Uncle Professor Lidenbrock  had just traversed an illuminating forest made up of trees from different continents on the surface all growing side by side in this lit up forest they discovered after their long perilous, underground sea journey; had landed them back on the same shore that they departed from with the aid of Hans, the Icelandic guide/huntsman crafting a raft - this wasn't where the Professor wanted to be; After finding bones of prehistoric creatures next to mummified humans and their primitive tools, they saw a giant human monster, and ran for their lives; back through the bones to the shore, and then found a cave with the initials A.S scratched in the rock; This could only be the work of none other than Arne Saknussemm; the Viking who is alleged to have discovered the passage to the center of the Earth.

Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

On 22/10/2016 at 0:41 AM, PappyTron said:

Does anyone read, or liked to have read, choose your own adventure style books, such as the Fighting Fantasy series? You know: Turn to page 83 if you wish to fight the Goblin. Turn to page 151 if you wish to flee.

Oh I remember reading some goosebumps books like that when I was a kid.. they were cool!

• 3 weeks later...