Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

Ah jesus.  I try. I bought a lot of shit on my kindle. When u fucked it's hard to read. And no one listens anyway. You're just reinforcinin what you think, nobody cares, other than their own biased opinion. I write my own books. It's a lesson. All these critics. Luckily I'm an escourt. 

Edited by wasted

On 11/5/2017 at 5:30 PM, soon said:

Please suggest any audio books of autobiographies or memoirs by rockstars?  Im especially interested in ones read by the authors/rockstars.  Thanks!

Nikki Sixx and Sebastian Bach. 

I don't dare to say they're the greatest but it's about rockstars so you will either enjoy them or puke.

• Like 1

I used to like rock stars but I now find them the most vacuous old boring farts ever. Unless there is a bit of substance there like The Beatles or the Who. The rock star cliche is as rank as Slash's leather trousers that he used to wear so the piss would not show. It all ended up with a bunch of 'LA' types saying things like ''dude'' and ''awesome'' a lot, and not being able to handle their drugs or liquor and saying anecdotes about ''going to the Whisky to eat biscuits and gravy''. It was all crap. Vacuous garbage.

Even some of the more intellectual of the species, I do not find as interesting though. None of them are Schubert, are they?

• Like 3

I dont know if people are in on this trend of re-reading social/political novels to help contextualize the times we live in?  Im not a joiner so was resisting it :).  Finally, I reached for A Handmaids Tale but then heard there was a tv series coming so then reached for Bondage of the Will (not a novel but related to the trend) and my brain said "no!!!!'

I think I will reread Charlottes Web to contextualize and reaffirm.  The number of teen drama and horror tv Ive watched is really starting to add up, so Ill conitue that trajectory to Elementary school :) 

Edited by soon

On 15 May 2017 at 10:54 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I used to like rock stars but I now find them the most vacuous old boring farts ever. Unless there is a bit of substance there like The Beatles or the Who. The rock star cliche is as rank as Slash's leather trousers that he used to wear so the piss would not show. It all ended up with a bunch of 'LA' types saying things like ''dude'' and ''awesome'' a lot, and not being able to handle their drugs or liquor and saying anecdotes about ''going to the Whisky to eat biscuits and gravy''. It was all crap. Vacuous garbage.

Even some of the more intellectual of the species, I do not find as interesting though. None of them are Schubert, are they?

Did he invent Schubert Lemons? My favorite sweets. 

The Blue Knight - Wambaugh. 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2017 at 3:54 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Punk reached this conclusion in 1976.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:17 PM, Wagszilla said:

I need someone to bankroll me, then I can become a full-time recluse like has always been my dream.

are you a young hot female? or a young hot guy who doesn't mind being bankrolled by a MUCH older guy who'd want to boink you from time to time? if so you may have a chance! put an ad on Craigslist :shrugs:

On 11/05/2017 at 8:44 PM, Len Cnut said:

The Sandman - ETA Hoffman

Ah, pretty eyes!

Crazy story. Have you read the Mines of Falun? 

I am going to start Maya Angelou's All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes

On 21/05/2017 at 2:17 AM, wasted said:

Morrison said rock was redundant in 1970?

He certainly did, thats my favourite Doors song. But punk more precisely said what Dies' was saying re: vaccuous boring old farts etc

On topic:

The Duchess of Malfi...again.  Love it.  Bloody, creepy, obssessive, macarbre, emotive...brilliant stuff.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

He certainly did, thats my favourite Doors song. But punk more precisely said what Dies' was saying re: vaccuous boring old farts etc

On topic:

The Duchess of Malfi...again.  Love it.  Bloody, creepy, obssessive, macarbre, emotive...brilliant stuff.

I guess it depends on your standards. People still talk about art in rock these days, as in it's a form of creative expression. Morrison must have been looking at it from a completely wild and free way, like it wasn't, it was hindered by money very quickly so that it wasn't as pure as it should be. 

Punk was trying to eject all that and say something real again, maybe for a brief interlude, but it wasn't rock really. 

I still sort of romantically think a good song could still be pure art. But there's so many compromises and prerequsites that it's probably not that artistic. I mean it seems unlikely you'd be able to say anything new and profound from your twitter account. Everyone's so brainwashed, you'd have be fucked to be in entertainment, so how are you going to do anything insightful? 

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

I guess it depends on your standards. People still talk about art in rock these days, as in it's a form of creative expression. Morrison must have been looking at it from a completely wild and free way, like it wasn't, it was hindered by money very quickly so that it wasn't as pure as it should be. 

Punk was trying to eject all that and say something real again, maybe for a brief interlude, but it wasn't rock really. 

I still sort of romantically think a good song could still be pure art. But there's so many compromises and prerequsites that it's probably not that artistic. I mean it seems unlikely you'd be able to say anything new and profound from your twitter account. Everyone's so brainwashed, you'd have be fucked to be in entertainment, so how are you going to do anything insightful? 

I just think its a craft, its something that you can design to preset expectations and, in the popular sphere, is geared towards maximum earning potential for commercial purposes, as a utensil might be designed for maximum functionality for the same, it has very little to do with what say someone like Van Gogh did.  I mean commision isn't the issue here, artists have lived for centuries on patronage, its the nature of that patronage and the bearing that it has on all aspects of the creation.  Rock tried to be art, for a bit, only then with a few...but was it ever art, really?  Pete Townshend would call me a cunt for the position I'm taking here but quite frankly I think people want it to be art because it's the best we have but its not, its just confectionary.

I do think some delightful results have come about when certain people have treated it like art though, it just hasn't happened very often.

Edited by Len Cnut

18 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I just think its a craft, its something that you can design to preset expectations and, in the popular sphere, is geared towards maximum earning potential for commercial purposes, as a utensil might be designed for maximum functionality for the same, it has very little to do with what say someone like Van Gogh did.  I mean commision isn't the issue here, artists have lived for centuries on patronage, its the nature of that patronage and the bearing that it has on all aspects of the creation.  Rock tried to be art, for a bit, only then with a few...but was it ever art, really?  Pete Townshend would call me a cunt for the position I'm taking here but quite frankly I think people want it to be art because it's the best we have but its not, its just confectionary.

I do think some delightful results have come about when certain people have treated it like art though, it just hasn't happened very often.

Maybe Morrison was talking about something else, like redundant as a form of rebellion or revolution, which he saw as vital to art. 

I hate to take away the label of art from people's expression. In a way I don't see Elvis or The Beatles as artists, they are just bowling. It's what they do, they weren't trying to define a new philosophy. But I think Jim thought he was like the next legit poet just with music or something. Hardly anyone in rock puts themselves in the context of art lineage taking them seriously. Even Dylan was just taking the piss. 

23 hours ago, wasted said:

Maybe Morrison was talking about something else, like redundant as a form of rebellion or revolution, which he saw as vital to art. 

I hate to take away the label of art from people's expression. In a way I don't see Elvis or The Beatles as artists, they are just bowling. It's what they do, they weren't trying to define a new philosophy. But I think Jim thought he was like the next legit poet just with music or something. Hardly anyone in rock puts themselves in the context of art lineage taking them seriously. Even Dylan was just taking the piss. 

Morrison had a point though didn't he?  After 1970 it did very much become private jets and champagne for the big boys.  

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Morrison had a point though didn't he?  After 1970 it did very much become private jets and champagne for the big boys.  

Yes, but he might have been full of shit at point of purchase. You know, I might be right, you might be wrong. Who knows!