Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

You mean that fuckin moron Kuklinski or whatever?

Yeah the book is more memorable than the movie. I lost the dvd but I don't remember much about the story. Maybe it covered the end where the fbi are chasing him. 

I dont remember much about his own abuse. 

On 4 April 2017 at 9:39 PM, Len Cnut said:

You mean that fuckin moron Kuklinski or whatever?

He did run contrary to logic. I mean he made so much money, enough to retire, he loved his family. But he gambled the money away like a moron. 

In the end he has a pathology to kill. He did it in smart ways. But towards the end there he was going on more and more risky missions. They have him hit a cop. That's not smart. 

• Like 1

Some things in Slash's book and Steven's books are different.

I am bummed to learn that after Slash recorded his guitar part for "Sympathy for the Devil", it was dubbed over they some other guy because Axl wanted it more to sound like Keith Richards playing. Oh, I loved GNR's version but now it bothers me what they did to Slash.

This book is making me crazy. I feel like I'm on heroin when I'm reading them. lol Not good.

Anyway, since so much has happened since Duff, Steven and Slash wrote their books, Axl definitely has to write a book of his own now and update it to the reunion.

On 07/04/2017 at 1:21 AM, wasted said:

He did run contrary to logic. I mean he made so much money, enough to retire, he loved his family. But he gambled the money away like a moron. 

In the end he has a pathology to kill. He did it in smart ways. But towards the end there he was going on more and more risky missions. They have him hit a cop. That's not smart. 

I heard he was a lying cunt who made it all up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I heard he was a lying cunt who made it all up.

All of it? You mean that he was beaten by his dad. Or some of the things he did? 

For the most part he was a contract killer, so he killed killers most of the time. 

He could have exeggerated for that series of HBO shows. But he told investigators about later killings and he knew the calibre of bullet all the details. 

Ultimately he's not that interesting. He got the empathy beat out of him and was bipolar, and he found his place in the world. 

Mr Softee and Zurich seem made up to me. Like stuff out of a movie. 

I just finished a book on homemade paper making.  A coffee book style guide with lots of neat facts through out.  Cant remember title and its already returned to library. 

I learned that the earliest origin of cardboard was from when emperors, kings and religious leaders ordered scrolls and books destroyed, there was a fear that some how someone could put the pages back together, so they'd turn the scrolls and books into pulp and make cardboard out of that pulp.  This would satisfy them that no one could revert it back to the book.  And cardboard is the origin of drywall.  We literally live inside the results of that madness!

I live in North America and have European ancestry so it stood out that Europe didn't switch to paper for about 1000 + years after the entire East.  This is said to be due to xenophobia.  Only in Empire building did what is now Europe adapt to modern paper.  The edicts were still carved in stone - as the empires grew it became a burden to deliver these carved stones to the ever expanding regions of the Empire.  Its actually a richer and more ridiculous tale then that. 

Im forgetting some of the specifics, my apologies some of this may not be exact (was it paper or papyrus ancient europe didnt switch too?), but the jist is what the book claimed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 5:21 PM, wasted said:

LOL i love Karma!

On 4/16/2017 at 10:03 AM, Jane M. said:

I'm re-reading "13 reasons why".

Full of high school teenage drama.

ahhh teen age angst how i barely remember it! :P

There's certain parts of the book where it's not believable. Maybe just said for his rep? But also the family angle, he loves his family...

obviously because his brain grew a certain way he lacks all empathy for others pain. But he understands human behaviour. 

So is it his fault? I'd say no. 

Psychopaths are everywhere too. CEOs, all kinds of successful people are psychopaths. But there are degrees. 

I would saying lying for his scary rep, doing tv to manipulate his image all seem like what highly intelligent pyscho would do. 

• Like 1

well 17 years makes a BIG difference in reading a book. just finally finished The Choirboys again and man when i was 19 it did not effect me this way. i know it's not "cool" to be behind cops but this book ( where supposedly the "big events" took place ) made me realize that cop pulling me over for speeding has also probably sometime in his career seen someone's kid dead, shot someone or had to tell a loved one  that one of their family has been knifed to death. i mean i always knew this but the way the author ( ex-cop Joseph Wambaugh ) wrote this made it all too real. think i will read In Cold Blood next to cheer me up. but a great book, old as it is.

13 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

well 17 years makes a BIG difference in reading a book. just finally finished The Choirboys again and man when i was 19 it did not effect me this way. i know it's not "cool" to be behind cops but this book ( where supposedly the "big events" took place ) made me realize that cop pulling me over for speeding has also probably sometime in his career seen someone's kid dead, shot someone or had to tell a loved one  that one of their family has been knifed to death. i mean i always knew this but the way the author ( ex-cop Joseph Wambaugh ) wrote this made it all too real. think i will read In Cold Blood next to cheer me up. but a great book, old as it is.

Wambaugh has a recent release called The Floaters that is meant to be good. I got the The Blue Knight on kindle for 99p. After Hollywood Station quartet it's one I wanted to read. Southland the TV show is kind of like Wambaugh the tv series. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Just now, wasted said:

Wambaugh has a recent release called The Floaters that is meant to be good. I got the The Blue Knight on kindle for 99p. After Hollywood Station quartet it's one I wanted to read. Southland the TV

i will probably check it out but i need some time to recover. Baxter Slate's fate and what happened to Sam Niles really got to me :( i wish i could have hit Roscoe Rule with a baseball bat studded with nails :max:

:max: