Last "Groundbreaking Album"

SunnyDRE

the absolute best mixed album i have ever heard is Extreme waiting for the punchline. get this album and you'll see the panning of the intruments is incredable.

I hate to sound like a asshole (but I'm sure I will anyway, to some of those who read this)..........but what is up with you username?!?!

White Music Lover??

Edited by SunnyDRE

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say the early 90's alt bands for me

Janes Addiction--Ritual and Nothing Shocking

Smashing Pumpkins---Gish, Siamses Dream, MCIS

Radiohead---OK Computer

My Bloody Valentine---Loveless (one of the most unique albums you'll ever hear)

Tori Amos---Little Earthquakes and Boys For Pele

There are also many Death/Melodic Death/Black/Power metal bands that have put out some

brilliant stuff but the list is too long

And of course the first 3 GNR albums !!!! ---Illusion # 1 being my fav

the absolute best mixed album i have ever heard is Extreme waiting for the punchline. get this album and you'll see the panning of the intruments is incredable.

I hate to sound like a asshole (but I'm sure I will anyway, to some of those who read this)..........but what is up with you username?!?!

White Music Lover??

White boys love music too?? :lol:

White Music Lover??

i read somewhere that punk rock or hardcore more specifically...or the stereotype of punk rock is "white" music because its basically rock n roll stripped of all the blues element. i dunno how that sits with Thurston Moores assertion that a lot of punk rock is sped up Chuck Berry riffs. but yeah, white music? what is that?? or even black music...can sound have a color? :lol: hmmm, i suddenly feel like dropping acid :lol:

White Music Lover??

i read somewhere that punk rock or hardcore more specifically...or the stereotype of punk rock is "white" music because its basically rock n roll stripped of all the blues element. i dunno how that sits with Thurston Moores assertion that a lot of punk rock is sped up Chuck Berry riffs. but yeah, white music? what is that?? or even black music...can sound have a color? :lol: hmmm, i suddenly feel like dropping acid :lol:

If Thurston said that......then he is right.

He should have added Ike Turner to the sentence also.

White Music Lover??

White boys love music too??

i read somewhere that punk rock or hardcore more specifically...or the stereotype of punk rock is "white" music because its basically rock n roll stripped of all the blues element. i dunno how that sits with Thurston Moores assertion that a lot of punk rock is sped up Chuck Berry riffs. but yeah, white music? what is that?? or even black music...can sound have a color? hmmm, i suddenly feel like dropping acid :lol:

If Thurston said that......then he is right.

He should have added Ike Turner to the sentence also.

personally i couldn't give a hot shit, as long as its got that spark up its ass i'm laying the dollars down for it :)

To be fair, if punk is white music, how does one explain Bad Brains? :lol:

And of course music has colours, Grateful Dead make me feel green and Rancid make me purple.

=]

or james chance and the contortions for that matter..

Brian Wilson- Smile

John Mayer Trio-Try!

The White Stripes-Elephant

The Scorpions-Humanity(which created a resurgence in the scorpions worldwide)

Unfortunatly, I never believe any album will EVER break more ground than A Night At The Opera. Sure you can consider every albums to be monumentous successes, and I won't doubt that. but as far as TRULY pushing the envelope, That think had guitar greatness, an epic anthem, grand instrumentation, chorus, EVERYTHING, every type of music, rock, pop, classical. Nobody's gotten close, cept brian wilson's smile.

You have to define groundbreaking, and stress what type of music or scene. Like i love the alt country movment and that can pretty much be traced back to Uncle Tupelos no depression ( I dont even think the albums that good, but it was kinda a first of its kind) or Cowboy junkies the trinity session or the jayhawks or even whiskeytowns first record. This decade i think Gold by Ryan Adams really made people aware of the alt country stuff goin on, thats how i got into it anyway. Ya could argue all day about which album(s) was the last 'groundbreaking', u could say the stone roses debut if ya talkin about brit pop, i dunno or even doolittle if ya talkin bout american 90s music, its all up for debate i suppose.

You have to define groundbreaking, and stress what type of music or scene. Like i love the alt country movment and that can pretty much be traced back to Uncle Tupelos no depression ( I dont even think the albums that good, but it was kinda a first of its kind) or Cowboy junkies the trinity session or the jayhawks or even whiskeytowns first record. This decade i think Gold by Ryan Adams really made people aware of the alt country stuff goin on, thats how i got into it anyway. Ya could argue all day about which album(s) was the last 'groundbreaking', u could say the stone roses debut if ya talkin about brit pop, i dunno or even doolittle if ya talkin bout american 90s music, its all up for debate i suppose.

ryan adams, ryan adams, ryan adams, motherfucker thats all i hear out of you :lol: y'got me curious...reccomendations? :)

ryan adams, ryan adams, ryan adams, motherfucker thats all i hear out of you :lol: y'got me curious...reccomendations? :)

Ha! Finally someone notices!

Listen to Gold. Its a fantastic album.

:lol:

Yeah Golds a really good place to start, hes got a lot of albums though, but yeah Gold and maybe Heartbreaker, then maybe some whiskeytown stuff.

• 2 years later...

Where is this generation's thriller, purple rain, nevermind, appetite? Ya know.. the albums that even if you didn't own them, you know all the songs? Or what about this generation's Summerteeth, Ok Computer, Daydream Nation? Albums that when you fist listen to them, you felt better about yourself for doing so..

*sigh*

is anybody even trying anymore?

I guess those albums are meant to be Is This It, Sam's Town, American Idiot, Black Parade...but everything's so diverse now, breaking ground happens all the time.

I'd pick Love by The Beatles, just the format of it was newish, interesting.

Where is this generation's thriller, purple rain, nevermind, appetite? Ya know.. the albums that even if you didn't own them, you know all the songs? Or what about this generation's Summerteeth, Ok Computer, Daydream Nation? Albums that when you fist listen to them, you felt better about yourself for doing so..

*sigh*

is anybody even trying anymore?

I don't think it would even be possible for an album to be era defining like that these days. The internet has allowed so many different genres and sub-genres and sub-sub-genres to flourish that there's simply too much music for one album to define an era like in the past. It's also changed the distribution of things too, so now the format of an album is slipping away and less focus is being put on it - people aren't trying that hard to make an "album" compared to just a collection of potential singles anymore.

You're right, though. It doesn't feel like we'll ever see a truly great album again, something that moves you and you never want to forget it. So few albums do that anymore...

The Midnight Organ Flight - Frightened Rabbit

Every track is a classic... the twist, the modern leper, keep yourself warm etc.

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips

Humbug - Arctic Monkeys

Good News For People Who Love Bad News - Modest Mouse

Antidotes - Foals

Funeral - Arcade Fire

I can't believe nobody mentioned the two Lady Gaga albums. Every song is good, they came out at the perfect time, they aren't just candy-pop like Brittney Speers or Christina Aguliiera etc. It appealed to a wide variety of people and has garnered international fame. Gaga has the goods.