Soul Asylum

dally

So, who else love this great band??

If you`re new to this band i recomend a listenig, as i am sure you will find alot of the material werry good. (super imo)

Recomended albums:

Hang Time - 1988

While You Were Out - 1986

Grave dancers union - 1992

Let your dime light shine- 1995 ( My favoritt albym.. realy strong )

Or you can get you`re hand on the best of colection Black Gold released in 2000

Even the last album is great ( The silver lining released in 2006)

Songs to check out:

Black Gold

Misery

Runaway train

Cartoon

Just like anyone

Closer to the stars

String of pearls

Candy from a stranger

I did my best

Nothing to whrite home about

Promises broken

Hell, just give em a chance...

Misery

Black gold

Just like anyone

Promises broken

I Will Still Be Laughing

Go ahead..

One of my favourite bands. Without A Trace is one of my favourite songs too.

Without a Trace is one of my all-time favourite songs. There are a bunch of great songs on Grave Dancer's Union...Runaway Train, Black Gold, The Sun Maid, and New World come to mind. I really should check out some of SA's other records.

I love them! :)

I can't listen to Runaway Train anymore, makes me cry like a bitch.

Its not even that its that sad a song, it just has these connotations of misery in my head :rofl-lol:

I love 'em soooo much :heart:

Always wanted to see 'em live - do they still tour?

xDSGx

Yea, i would love to see them myself.. Such a great live band.. got the live cd and they seem to rock live.

Without a Trace is one of my all-time favourite songs. There are a bunch of great songs on Grave Dancer's Union...Runaway Train, Black Gold, The Sun Maid, and New World come to mind. I really should check out some of SA's other records.

you should.. get Let your dime light shine.. one hell of a album.

Most ppl just know runaway train.

And that is a shame, they have so much more gret music.

Always wanted to see 'em live - do they still tour?

Their bassist is dead, so I guess not.

Yeah I liked them a lot a few years back, haven't listened to them in ages... Should dig out Grave Dancers Union.

Wrong.. they still do a few shows now and then.. also playing live next week or somthing..

btw. go to their web site and take a listen to the "new album" The Silver Lining

SOUL ASYLUM

Edited by dally

• 3 years later...

you should.. get Let your dime light shine.. one hell of a album.

Man, four years later I finally got around to listening to some more Soul Asylum. Listened to Hang Time last night. Not as great as Grave Dancer's of course, but I thought it was pretty strong. I've got two more to listen to now, And the Horse They Rode in On and Let Your Dim Light Shine. I actually found the latter on vinyl for $5 earlier this year, but I also have it on CD.

The history of the band is kind of interesting, I guess they have two phases, one where they are pretty punk coming out of Minny with The Replacements and Husker Du and then when they went more commercial (some say sold out, but whatever, I think the music is better). And they were regarded as one of the best live acts around in the '80s. Mick Jagger apparently echoed this sentiment. And I guess now they are technically in their third phase, post-stardom.

I dig the performance in the first video. In the second Dave takes Paul Schaefer's trumpet near the end and plays a bit of McCartney, which pisses Paul off. People can't seem to decide if this was staged or not, but apparently Paul takes the trumpet away because if the tune is played long enough it means McCartney is owed some money.

runaway train was one of the first songs that really stuck with me and the same with misery when i was a kid . i havent really dug into their albums yet its something i plan on doing, when i was a kid my older brother had a cassette with a bunch of soul asylum songs on it but i dont know what the song names were or what album or albums they were taken off of any suggestions with what album to start on?

I just want to say that Pirner had the best fucking hair ever, and one of the best voices.

I like both Runaway Train and Misery but I also think they have better songs.

Their early stuff is basically a speed punk kind of thing, which is very rough and something I personally find tough to get into. But many people who like punk seem to give the band props for those efforts. If you like that then by all means start with their first few albums (Say What You Will Clarence..., Made to be Broken, and While You Were Out). Examples:

- this one actually sounds like it might be cool

Otherwise, I'd say Hang Time and Grave Dancer's Union are good places to start (especially the latter...it's their big hit and has lots of great melodic rock and Pirner's voice is at it's best). Let Your Dim Light Shine I liked but I don't think it's as strong as the other two (but String of Pearls I think is a great song). Over the years people think Pirner's lyrics have gotten a little too sweet and and I can see that in some of what I've heard.

Edit:

- like this too, I may have to pick up Made to be Broken Edited by KBear

• 4 weeks later...

Hell, i forgot about this tread, nice to see so many on this board that enjoys this band :shades:

The new album Delayed Reaction is out as we speak and it realy sounds good, a little mix of old and new Soul Asylum imo :thumbsup:

^ I'll have to check out the new album. It's better reviewed than recent efforts. From what I've heard it is some old songs the band had kicking around.

i remember really liking one of their tracks off the first clerks soundtrack.

Kind of interested what you think, len. Soul Asylum seem to be highly regarded in punk circles, at least before they turned mainstream.

Is this some of the best punk, as the caption suggests?

Personally I just can't get into it. It's too messy sounding for me.

Another example: