Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tommy "messing around" in the studio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

user FKA webmoster

user FKA webmoster

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • 12-February 06
http://www.billboard...t_id=1003870797

Giving fans further hope for some kind of Replacements reunion, group principals Paul Westerberg and Tommy Stinson joined forces last month to "mess around" in Minneapolis with Soul Asylum/Prince drummer Michael Bland.

Stinson told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that the trio didn't roll any tape, because "that's getting to first base. We're sort of still in the dugout chewing gum." But he assured that he and Westerberg are "good friends, and I'm sure we're going to work together again."

Westerberg's manager, Darren Hill, confirmed the sessions to Billboard but added there are "no plans beyond that right now."

The Replacements, who split in 1991, have been back in the spotlight this year as Rhino has rolled out expanded reissues of the band's complete studio catalog. The second and final batch, covering the band's major-label years with Sire, was released Sept. 23.

After years apart, Westerberg and Stinson hit the studio in 2006 to record two new songs for a Replacements retrospective and additional material for the animated film "Open Season."

In separate interviews with Billboard earlier this year, both men said the door isn't closed for some kind of project between them, although they added that Replacements drummer Chris Mars was unlikely to participate, owing to his thriving post-Replacements career as an artist.

Westerberg and Stinson have been tempted by numerous lucrative offers to reunite for festivals such as the 2008 Coachella, but "at the last minute, it just didn't seem like the right thing to do, so we didn't do it," Stinson said. "But I think Paul and I have something to offer each other still. I think that's pretty obvious when we get together."

"I'm very hesitant about dragging the name out there and what damage we could do to the legend," Westerberg said. "Whatever we did, someone would want something else. If I went up there straight, they'd want us wasted. If we were f--ked up, they'd want us to be this or that."

Posted Image

chevelle

chevelle

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • 26-June 05
One by one they drop away,
holding the release of Chi. Dem at bay.

My 8-Bit Music. My Vinyl Collection.
Posted Image
November 5th, 2006 - Continental Airlines Arena

Budweiser

Budweiser

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 9,123 posts
  • 17-January 05

try as you may,
you still sound gay.

Posted Image

chevelle

chevelle

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • 26-June 05

try as you may,
you still sound gay.

*Ribbit* Bud
*Ribbit* Wei
*Ribbit* Ser

Still doesn't hide the fact that Axl has less and less of a band by the day.

Posted Image

feconroses

feconroses

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • 16-February 06
Well, i dont care about Stinson anyways.

Just release the damn thing.

We ARE superior that is a fact :D

j/k and anyway I love Britney Spears.

Posted Image

dann

dann

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • 05-September 05
Ah well. Like it's real hard to find someone with a bass. It's not like he has to replace les claypool or bootsy collins.

Posted Image
"If you're gonna shoot, shoot! Don't talk...."

chevelle

chevelle

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • 26-June 05

Ah well. Like it's real hard to find someone with a bass. It's not like he has to replace les claypool or bootsy collins.

Tommy has a lot of talent and great charisma, though. Plus he's been in the band a decade.

Posted Image

fiefer1

fiefer1

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • 08-April 05
Can you blame him?

He likely recorded his parts years ago...artists need to create when inspired.

Don't mean to stir this up again, but my view of the band is that this is Axl's solo project, with some talented musicians thrown in. So let him go and do his thing, I have no attachments...

Estranged Reality

Estranged Reality

=:-o

• Admins
  • 15,351 posts
  • 04-November 06
I'll be bummed if he leaves. At this point, besides Axl, he's the only member left who I really consider to be an essential part of the "new" GN'R.

Posted Image

And there was damage done but I made it home and woke up on the floor

snead hearn

snead hearn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • 12-April 05
Michael Bland (best damn drummer anywhere) who was in the studio with Paul and Tommy, took some shots. They're posted over at the Westerberg site

http://paulwesterber...d...6270&page=1

Do yourself a favor-while you're waiting for CD, but ALL 8 Replacements reissues. Learn everything about each one. Then get all the Perfect/Bash & Pop discs. Get to know Tommy's past. Tommy said so....

Sometimes_Isee_dead_people

Sometimes_Isee_dead_people

DEMI-GOD

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • 14-June 07
the replacements reunion starts soon!
i dont care

Roky

Roky

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • 19-April 07
Some years ago, Axl had a band but no album.
Now it seems that he has an album. But he has no band anymore.
Posted Image

carsonskitz

carsonskitz

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts
  • 11-September 05
dont think tommy will leave...i hope not anyways, him and fortus are the two main ones for me apart from axl
SIGNATURE EDITED: PLEASE CHECK SIGNATURE GUIDELINES

Lesty

Lesty

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • 04-April 05
I think to many people are still thinking in terms of "bands" in the 60s, 70s and 80s when 4 or 5 guys were dedicated to one sole purpose of producing music as a unit.

Today, it is so common for musicians to be involved in several projects, solo albums, etc...
These are working muscians.

As much as people dream up the idea that this version of GnR is similar to the original band or other major bands that came to be in the past... a group of 5 guys who do everything together, grew up together, fight for each other, etc....
The fact is a lot of these guys came together from different backgrounds, and are in their late 30s and 40s.
They will never be a true "band" that doesn't have interchangeable parts.
It's clearly Axl's vision, his timeline and his rules.

An actual band is someone like U2 or Pearl Jam, whose #1 priority of its members will always be that band. How on earth could anyone in the current GnR lineup have their first priority as Axl when they go months and years being completely inactive?