Ax Rose Chat #4 - mygnrforum - Dec. 14, 2008

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Axl, thanks a lot for coming here and answering our questions, you're great.

Okay, my question:

Do you feel that using the name Guns n' Roses restricts you from experimenting with certain types of music? I know CD is filled with different styles but they all could be put in the category 'rock music.' If you had a solo project, would you try different things? (like more hip-hop or maybe even classical piano stuff, just shouting something out here)

seriously highvoltage...your going a good job on cleaning this up and I know it must be annoying but I dont understand why you took off my question.. it was on topic and legit enough I think... so I will ask it again

Hey Axl, What are your feelings towards those who think this is an "Axl Rose solo project and not Guns N Roses" (and they normaly moan you shouldnt have the rights to use the name anymore...) It really annoys me that people say this as Im sure the other guys have put in as much hard work as anyone.

Thanks for your time hope all is well

Trying to be more concise so it doesn't get deleted!

Which came first? You trying to keep the name to protect the 'direction' as you saw the band disintegrate? Or do you feel that trying to keep the name might've been partly the cause of the tensions that led to the breakup of the original lineup?

Guest RonMexico82

Hi Axl,

Do you feel that a bands name belongs to founding members or is it a bigger thing than any one person?

Cheers,

Ron

PS: Happy Christmas! :xmasssanta:

Edited by RonMexico82

Guns N' Roses--the name contains symbols of aggression/defense and selfless submission/tribute--does the name mean anything symbolically to you outside its literal, namesake derivation? Have the name's deeper synonyms, eg. the most dangerous band in the world, had any impact on your decision to keep it, or have you just retained it for its legendary status and ease of identification?

Edited by jah772

Hey Axl,

Thanks so much for answering our questions and for this 'innovative' approach :)

Do what people ( some of the fans, ex members of the band etc ) think about the ownership of the band name really matter? I think my question also is, will you please tell us why this is the most important/first question you are approaching? Is it because you think that this is what most riles the fans or this is the most pressing issue?

For the die hards, you don't have to answer this. However, I am sure that answering this will bring a lot of peace to the forums and to many fans and in particular to those who keep bitching incessantly about this.

Sure there are a lot of fans who have been cribbing and I have heard recent comments from ex band members too that suggest that they aren't happy. But, those who have been die hard supporters of this version of the band don't care that much about the reason - I am sure we will get it in some form, now or at another time. I just want to tell you, But for us, you have been what signifies the band.

There is an old lady I know from an AC/DC forum who watched you when you toured Florida last time. She was ecstatic after watching the band perform and she emailed me and a lot of other people on that forum who wanted to know how it went. To those who were cribbing she said, " we fell in love with those songs hearing Axl sing them. Sure, we miss some of the old guys, but the new band does as great a job playing those songs as the old and the new songs are great, but Axl singing those songs is what makes those songs Guns N Roses songs.

To me and many of us, regardless of the legality of the matter, the feeling that that old lady had, is what a lot of us share and I want you to know that.

Axl, some critics have argued that Chinese Democracy would have sold better and had better reviews if you had released it as a solo project. What is your take on this?

Do you think that it is right to continue a band's name despite having little-to-no connection with previous incarnations of the band, both in the music written and with the musicians in the band?

For further releases will you stick with the name Guns N' Roses?

If this is a Guns N' Roses album, what kind of music would be on an Axl Rose solo album?

Does Geffen or Universal have any rights over the name, or is it soley yours? For example they released the Greatest Hits under the GN'R name, so I was a bit confused over exactly how much the name belongs to the label, if at all.

The worst story I think I've heard regarding the ownership 'battle' was that you got some of the other members to sign off on it by refusing to get on stage to perform during a concert - and 'forced' them to sign off right then and there. Is there any truth to this story? And could you clarify the circumstances?

Not off topic but related to the GN'RTM , i've always wondered...

How do/did you feel about Velvet Revolver playing GN'R songs live? Did you worry about them mucking up the songs or decreasing their value by playing them. Are you glad the former members still play those songs so regularly on stage?

I seen Slashes Snakepit live in July 95 and they started playing instrumental Paradise city for the first 2 minutes before Slash stopped it by jokingly saying something like” We better stop so we don’t get sued!”

Even if it personally doesn`t matter to me if this is Gnr or Axl ".." whatever (cause in the end, it is about great music), my question would be:

Have you haver questioned yourself if this is wrong what you are doing with the band name?? I don`t know, but maybe sometimes you watched an old live concert or something like that, and you have the feeling, that you can understand people for attacking you on this, because what you (might) see and remember, is what made people fall in love with this (old) band?

Axl, a few years ago, Slash and Duff sued you in an attempt to stop your publication deal by asserting that you did not have ownership of the old GnR name. Can you tell us the circumstances under which you acquired the name? Was there a deal in place in which if they left the band you became the sole owner of the name? Did you buy out their shares of the name?

my post keeps getting deleted for some reason so i'll reword it i guess

The ownership of guns n roses doesnt really bother me all that much, I'm just curious how it all went down, i'd like to read your side of the story one day

Unfortunately, it seems like people have struggled to grasp the concept of this topic.

Fortunately, there have been some excellent questions asked that have been retained. Plenty here now, so i'm going to lock this, and if Axl feels like answering a couple, then i'm sure he will post up a thread with responses in due course.

Thanks to those who listened and "got" it. :)