Ax Rose Chat #4 - mygnrforum - Dec. 14, 2008

Axl

Has the name felt like a ball and chain to you? or do you take pride in building on it? You must admit a fresh start might have granted you a little extra freedom with your work in the eyes of the press and critical fans.

What if anything would have made you consider ditching the Guns N' Roses name during the late 90's(before concerts and the album as we heard it got developed)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to some people the name shouldve been changed once there was no Tracci Guns in Guns N' Roses. :tongue2:

Seriously if it wasnt changed then for that reason, then why should it ever be changed for any other reason? Legalitys aside, listening to the final product its truly Guns N' Roses at heart and soul. You couldnt call it anything else. Axl in keeping the name you have kept all in the sound for it to be correctly called what it is. Guns N' Roses would be what it is today no matter which musicians are involved.

Besides Axl...hasnt it always techically been ur name anywhoo? :xmasssanta:

Hey axl, i think it's great of you to come online here :)

I suppose I'll go with the 'Why did you make the others sign the name over' type thing;

Was it because that you wanted to go in another direction musically, as demonstrated on Chinese Democracy, and perhaps you realised that the members in GNR at the time may not have had the same desire, meaning that you could still carry on the legacy of GNR, but with different players in a different style. I know that's only a long shot, but whatever it is, it's payed off, as I think the albums amazing :)

What exactly does ownership of the guns n' roses name allow you to do with the songs, etc? I also find it odd that anybody would find any credibility with reunion rumblings when you have had to deal with so much legal shit from old members over the Guns N' Roses name issues for years? What impact have the legal issues over keeping the name left on you?

I have do problem with you owning the name and using it to be honest I actually love that you are and call it GN'R without hesitation, I'm a huge Megadeth fan as well so I'm used to a one man show (so to speak).

The question I have is, how did you optain the name? Everybody has heard some stories so what's the real story behind it?

Yes, peace Axl. :)

Really cool you're doing that. To be honest, the ownership of the name Guns N' Roses has never been an issue for me. I mean, you acquired the rights for it, and the other guys left the band for their own reasons, too bad for them I guess. My question would be: have you ever thought one day, with all the bashing you got from the media and from some fans, to actually change the name of the band (keep the current members but choose another name)? If so, what were your ideas of a new name?

You're starting off with an ongoing debate on fan boards for the past few years, so there will be many questions I bet.

Take care man, I hope there will be more topics, including some about your feelings on playing the Illusion songs and the recording process, etc.

Edited by WillBailey

Hey Axl, I have to say a lot of fans don't understand business 101. We don't know everything that happened with the split up, and I don't ever expect to. I've always thought of you as Guns 'n Roses. I'm thinking you owning the name is for two reasons... a very smart business move, and also as a way to keep the band name alive....?

ok, on the name "Guns N' Roses":

We learnt in the press, that you asked the former members to sign a paper for keeping the name "Guns N' Roses" alone because if they refuse to do that, you don't want to go on stage.

Bullshit ?

Use your Illusion Tour was a mess but we've listenned only one part of the story, and yours ?

I know you got a lot of troubles with the name, but in the end, we all know that G n' R is you, man !

thanks for taking time for us.

Edited by Slash2baz

My only question about the ownership of the name is this:

I've always assumed that your main drive for wanting to own the name is that you felt more personally responsible for the overall direction of the music than the others, and that the name stood for that direction more than anything else. However, disentangling the name must've been a legal mess, with a lot of financial issues. I'm wondering whether this was something you did AS the old line-up disintegrated so as to maintain control over direction or whether that desire to protect the direction came first, and might have actually created extra tensions?

Otherwise, I'm honestly fine with you keeping the name, since to my mind - your work more than any of the others - carries the 'feel' I expect from Gn'R (if not, thankfully, the old sound - as much as I loved and still love it - I'm glad it's evolved and expected no less).

Hey Axl, your the man, heres my Q's

Were you pressured by either management, the label, or another external or internal force within the band to try and obtain the rights to the name Guns N' Roses?

Also do you remember when you toured in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada? make sure thats a tour date next time you come back to Canada, sure bubbles would like that haha.

Hello again, Axl

One last question:

I don't recall for sure, so did these battles start (not necessarily in the court room, just in general) before or after the break up, and if you got ownership of the name because Slash, Izzy, and Duff weren't in the band, and you didn't want them to use it, why don't you share the ownership with the new band?

This question would apply somewhat indirectly to the ownership of the name, but I was wondering what the name Guns N' Roses has meant to you over the years? Does it still hold the same meaning for you today as it did back in 1987? Has its meaning for you been more of a feeling or nostalgia, or have you always viewed it more as a brand for the product you were putting out?

PS, a personal thanks for two fantastic shows, Winnipeg loves you.

Here's my take - I could be wrong but,as far as I'm concerned - and what most ppl don't get - is that making Duff and Slash sign the name Guns N Roses over to you had very little to do with musical differences/ preferences. Anyone who reads Slash's book carefully can understand the kind of reckless lives they had been leading and that they were too fucked up and on the verge of an O.D. on daily basis to be entitled to make and kind of decision and there was no use in trying to fight against it and forcing them to clean up because you ended up being the bad guy real quick 'not allowing them to have a bit of fun'.

In other words, only drunk/drugged ppl can put up with drunk/drugged ppl and the way things were, they were going to ruin it for everbody and now that they are finally sober they feel they were ripped off even though many ppl warned them their actions would have serious consequences and they chose not to listen at the time.

Having said all that do you think they keep suing you over it time and again because as well as Steven they think you and the name GnR hold the keys to their happiness or is it just about $ ?

Hi my Axl!!

Why did you prefer to use the name Guns N' Roses after the dissolution of the original band? Many fans are angry with that.

I'm not angry with it, because for me, it's just a ¨name¨.

Axl, you don’t need to use that name to be recognized. You’re Axl Rose! People know who you are ;) .

Kisses :kiss:

Hi Axl,

You stated in several interviews in the past that you couldn’t see yourself playing with other people and still see it as Guns N’ Roses. What made you change your mind and do you think you would have kept the name if you and the former members broke up on better terms with eachother?