Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why is everyone so quick to label Chinese Democracy a flop?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
155 replies to this topic

Demon Wolf

Demon Wolf

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • 24-October 06
First of all, of course Chinese Democracy will never sell as many copies as Appetite For Destruction have, but to say something that has been out for less than two months is a massive flop is jumping the gun a bit.

Appetite For Destruction had a slow start with around 500 000 sales during its first year, it wasn't really until Sweet Child O'Mine went up the charts in August 1988 that AFD started to sell like hotcakes.

So all I'm saying is, why are so many people calling Chinese Democracy a huge flop? It's well on its way to two million copies worldwide, and I think that's exceptional considering the lack of promotion and backing for the singles. And we don't know what the future holds (as always with this band...)

Discuss.
CHINESE DEMOCRACY

cmb69

cmb69

Senior

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • 15-December 08
I agree with what you said. Very valid point.
A broken heart provides the spark for my determination.

seely

seely

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts
  • 07-December 07
But AFD was a debut album, no-one knew the band when it was released
Now with CD however, the band is well known, and this album was one of the most anticipated and hyped albums around, sales were expected to be much higher. For a band that was once as big as GNR were in 1991 and the hype around UYI albums, this album has failed miserably in comparison, despite both albums having a lot of hpe and expectations attached
Reading Festival 27.08.2010
Leeds Festival 29.08.2010
Nottingham Captial FM Arena 19.05.2012
Birmingham LG Arena 26.05.2012

axl_on_drums

axl_on_drums

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts
  • 24-October 08
It's obviously not a flop, it's sold very well so far (all things considerd)...but as of last week it is dropping pretty fast.

Something needs to be done.

Posted Image

Y2marmar

Y2marmar

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • 10-September 04
It's not a flop, but Axl had a hell of a lot to live up to. People had very high expectations of this album. So i guess when it didn't do as well as people expected, they wrote it off as a flop. Besides, he should've done more promo. That whole "I don't need to promote my album, my fans will" attitude clearly hasn't done CD any favours.
"Boosh, boosh, stronger than a moose. Don't lock your doors or we'll come through your rooftop. Trapped like a rat, take your mind off the floor. Cause the Boosh is loose and we're a little bit raw!"

Demon Wolf

Demon Wolf

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • 24-October 06

Now with CD however, the band is well known, and this album was one of the most anticipated and hyped albums around, sales were expected to be much higher. For a band that was once as big as GNR were in 1991 and the hype around UYI albums, this album has failed miserably in comparison, despite both albums having a lot of hpe and expectations attached

Fair enough, you bring up some valid points.

Still doesn't change that I think judgment has been placed a bit too fast and flop is a harsh word for something that is the first album in seventeen years. Of course connections with fans have been lost over the years.

I'd say the promotion is a flop moreso than the album.
CHINESE DEMOCRACY

Conor

Conor

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts
  • 15-May 06

There's also the very real fact that albums simply don't sell anywhere NEAR the amount of numbers as they used to. Music doesn't work like that anymore.

i1ms6a.jpg

AxlCorp

AxlCorp

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • 10-November 06

There's also the very real fact that albums simply don't sell anywhere NEAR the amount of numbers as they used to. Music doesn't work like that anymore.

...and the nuGnr is also like a 'debut' cd in many ways, no one knows the band. PLUS, all the negative press around the Gnr split all play a factor.
Posted Image
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

seely

seely

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts
  • 07-December 07

Fair enough, you bring up some valid points.

Still doesn't change that I think judgment has been placed a bit too fast and flop is a harsh word for something that is the first album in seventeen years. Of course connections with fans have been lost over the years.

I'd say the promotion is a flop moreso than the album.

I definately agree promotion has been appaling, if it hadn t been so badly organised, the album would have done a bit better,

Edited by gordon bennet, 19 January 2009 - 12:36 PM.

Sometimes_Isee_dead_people

Sometimes_Isee_dead_people

DEMI-GOD

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • 14-June 07

...and the nuGnr is also like a 'debut' cd in many ways, no one knows the band. PLUS, all the negative press around the Gnr split all play a factor.

almost everything played a factor except the music being "meh"
:lol:
i dont care

Mikejones

Mikejones

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • 15-September 06

I was waiting for someone to point that out

seely

seely

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts
  • 07-December 07

I was waiting for someone to point that out

Yeah, but Chinese Democracy (song) was a big success on the radio, and the facebook review set records, so you'd think it would have sold more

That said, maybe the facebook thing was bad, as people listened to the album before buying it, so either copied the whole thing from there and therefore didnt need to buy a copy, or they decided they didnt like it and didnt bother buying a copy

Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah

SUPER GOD

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts
  • 27-December 08
It's a FLOP and we have no sign that that will ever change. Like Eminem said you only get one shot, and Axl fucking blew it.
"Did You Just Grab My Ass"

Frozen Inferno

Frozen Inferno

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • 02-April 06

It's a FLOP and we have no sign that that will ever change. Like Eminem said you only get one shot, and Axl fucking blew it.

couldnt disagree more, just cuz a few biased slash lovers say its a flop doesnt mean it rly is.. even u know the album has some of the best tracks ever written. how old are you btw, 12?

Posted Image

Phrozen REMIXES Youtube/RockbandSUCKSS

Turn_It_Up

Turn_It_Up

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • 10-April 05
If you like the album that's all that should matter. But a new GNR album was always going to sell a good number of "gimme copies" the first few weeks due to the massive longtime fanbase. That said, the sales, particularly here in the U.S. where people may not know who's in the band, but they know who's not, this has sold a bare minimum. While some think it's great it could soon hit 2 million in worldwide sales, let's face it, this is almost all from what is left of the existing, eroded fanbase. What percentage do you think went out and bought the new album based upon the new music?

Until this thing has at least 1 big hit single, there's no sign that New GNR is doing anything to gain new fans and replenish what's been lost. If a 2nd New GNR album is going to sell half of what CD is selling, CD is gonna have to have that big single and make its' mark...

Edited by Turn_It_Up, 19 January 2009 - 01:12 PM.

If everything's coming your way you're facing the wrong lane