*Appreciating Elvis*

Guest deleted_19765

Yeah, that's the one thing I still don't understand. Why did he listen to the Colonel so much? HE WAS FUCKING ELVIS! Not to mention the Colonel wasn't even an american citizen at the time and in the country illiegally I think.

i always thought he was american.. my bad. where was he from?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's the one thing I still don't understand. Why did he listen to the Colonel so much? HE WAS FUCKING ELVIS! Not to mention the Colonel wasn't even an american citizen at the time and in the country illiegally I think.

He lied for many years saying he was from the US, but he was actually born in The Netherlands.

I don't get why Elivs listened to him so much (and gave him such a high percentage of $) and supposedly wouldn't fire him because he didn't like direct confrontation.

BTW: Elvis never performed shows outside of the US (except for a few in Canada) because Colonel Tom Parker (fake name) was scared of being "found out" and deported if he would've applied for a passport. What a waste.

Edited by Johnny Utah

He lied for many years saying he was from the US, but he was actually born in The Netherlands.

I don't get why Elivs listened to him so much (and gave him such a high percentage of $) and supposedly wouldn't fire him because he didn't like direct confrontation.

shame about that. sad to think where Elvis' life would've gone otherwise. i rly don't know all that much about the goings on in his private life.

Does anyone feel that Elvis should be seen in a lesser light given that he didn't write any of the songs that he performed?

Not really, although I think it would've been cool if he would've written a bunch of his own.

I think he was just more into picking other songs that he could relate to and then arranging them and making them his own.

His voice and presence were more than enough.

Edited by Johnny Utah

Another thing that people tend to miss about Elvis is that, y'know, they're very unforgiving about the mans fuck ups when you gotta bear in mind that...he didnt have that rock 101 crash course to refer to, that kinda template that everybody has nowadays cuz he was making the shit up as he went along insofar as he was the first, there was no prescedent for that kinda stardom and bearing that in mind, i think the man did amazing.

That whole Special Agent Elvis thing, the fact that he had a problem with The Beatles etc and wanted to work for Nixon and fuck em up doesn't really sit well with me, especially since that whole british invasion and whole crop of rock n rollers after him were more or less his children in a manner of speaking and if he'd've had his shit together in the 60s instead of making those fluff movies (which i love btw) he coulda been leading em or at least been like...the elder statesmen, the elder of the tribe of rock n roll instead of being on the outside trying to bring down something he created or was instrumental in creating although having said that, rock n roll was bigger than Elvis and it always was.

But like i say, first time y'know? And in those days movies was the thing, there were no rock stars, no one aspired as such to be a rock star, the concept didnt exist, movies was the thing so i can see how Big E would've kinda seen that as like...the realisation of a dream more so that being what he already was anyway i.e. king of the castle in terms of rock n roll.

.. he coulda been leading em or at least been like...the elder statesmen, the elder of the tribe of rock n roll instead of being on the outside trying to bring down something he created or was instrumental in creating although having said that, rock n roll was bigger than Elvis and it always was.

rock and roll has blues roots going back to the turn of the century.. probably even before. Elvis bought that into the mainstream in a commercially likeable way. Maybe that's what he didn't like about it, after all the greedy hands came in. :shrugs:

I like Elvis, I really do, but I think that a lot of his songs were performed much better by the original singers, but being who he was Elvis got all of the plaudits. Take the below for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XUAg1_A7IE

It's a much stronger rendition of the song, yet hardly anyone seems to acknowledge Big Mama Thornton's original in comparison to the King's.

I like Elvis, I really do, but I think that a lot of his songs were performed much better by the original singers, but being who he was Elvis got all of the plaudits. Take the below for example:

It's a much stronger rendition of the song, yet hardly anyone seems to acknowledge Big Mama Thornton's original in comparison to the King's.

I dont expressly agree with you, i think Elvis really bought something new to songs he covered (Blue Suede Shoes for instance) but yes, in some respects he does come in a little under the watermark in terms of some of the songs he covered. For instance the Little Richard ones but thats fucking unfair because Rich was/is the fucking epitome of inimitable. Listen to anyone other than him doing Long Tall Sally, it just aint the fucking same. But other songs too i mean Elvis covered You've Lost That Loving Feeling and i dont think he measured up in that case either. I dunno, its a mixed bag kinda situation i guess.

Maybe that's what he didn't like about it, after all the greedy hands came in

Maybe thats true but he made very clear why it was he didnt like the beatles et al and it was the usual american residual mccarthy era crap...communistic, bad influence on the youth yada yada..

Edited by dirtylenny

that's not even the version that inspired Elvis to do the song. it was Freddie Bell and The Bellboys.

Elvis's studio version of the song was in a class all it's own. for one, Elvis reached for a new sound by abandoning the "echo" effect of his Sun records and early RCA recordings and put himself right out front. rhythmically i think Elvis' version is definitely the most rocking.

Elvis' controversial Milton Berle Show performance of "Hound Dog" strays away from his own version and sounds more like the Freddie Bell version with a reprise that is reminiscent of the Big Mama version.

I like Elvis, I really do, but I think that a lot of his songs were performed much better by the original singers

everyone's entitled to their opinion, but i think in the overwhelming majority of cases Elvis bested his counterparts.

Edited by artfromtex

that's not even the version that inspired Elvis to do the song. it was Freddie Bell and The Bellboys.

True, but Willie Mae's version is the original, and I think strongest. She really did put her back into it, so to speak. The Freddie Bell version that you posted certainly shows where Elvis took his inspiration for the song from though.

Willie Mae's version is ..... I think strongest.

to each his own. cheers.

Edited by artfromtex

~ i like elvis' studio version best of his renditions.

me too. i love the way the guitar and the hand claps sound. i wish he would have added the slowed down boogie ending that he did on the Milton Berle Show though.

i didn't watch it all the way.. will have to have a look. slowed down boogie sounds good ;)

oh my God, that's the best part. go watch it now. that's the part that got him in such hot water for being "lewd".

~ i like elvis' studio version best of his renditions.

me too. i love the way the guitar and the hand claps sound. i wish he would have added the slowed down boogie ending that he did on the Milton Berle Show though.

i didn't watch it all the way.. will have to have a look. slowed down boogie sounds good ;)

oh my God, that's the best part. go watch it now. that's the part that got him in such hot water for being "lewd".

:rofl-lol: am pm'ing at the same time :D Am onto it .........