Axl rejects guitarist for using the Whammy Bar too much

From MeanBone@ HTGTH:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a recent interview for Metal Sludge, Jason Becker had this to say about Axl, Bucket and Chinese.

For those of you who don't know who Jason is and are goin to bash Jason, be sure to google him before and check out his story and amazing talent. He is one of the most brilliant guitarists that has ever lived. He suffers from a rare disease that left him paralyzed and he only moves his eyes. From what I understand he has a machine that allows him to speak sentences through eye movement, so it takes a lot for him to do an interview, and he still does it and doesn't bitch about it, so if you're going to bash him at least be sure to see who it is you are bashing.

5. Rate a scab. This is where you rate the scab player 1-10. Scab is a guy who joined a band taking the “original” players place. And of course a 1 is a scab who sucks, or sucks in the way he fills the other guys shoes, and a 10 is a great scab and a guy who kicks ass.

This is pretty much of an impossible thing for me to do because I haven’t heard most of these scabs. I saw Wolfgang on youtube and I would say he sounded great. I give him a 9.5. He doesn’t get a 10 only because he isn’t Billy Sheehan. Michael Anthony was great too. I have gotten burned by Yngwie’s albums too many times to check any more out. The same thing over and over can get annoying. With that said, I would love to work with Yngwie on a piece of mine in the future; it would be a thrill. People keep tell-ing me I need to check out Buckethead, but when I do, I am not into it. I am probably not listening to the right stuff. I do appreciate his eclectic tastes. In my last Metal Sludge interview, I think I didn’t give Slash enough credit. I think Robert Trujillo is so incredibly awesome, but so is Jason Newsted. I recently met Metallica at one of their shows. They were all so sweet to me. Great band!

Tommy Thayer replaces Ace Frehley in KISS =

Robert Mason replacing Jani Lane on vocals in Warrant =

Al Petrelli replacing Marty Friedman in Megadeth =

Johnny Solinger singing in place of Sebastian Bach in Skid Row =

Wolgang replacing Michael Anthony in Van Halen =

Stevie D replacing Yogi on rhythm guitar in Buckcherry =

Tim “Ripper” Owens replacing the last several singers in Yngwie’s band =

Eric Singer replacing Peter Criss in KISS =

Buckethead taking Slash’s place in Guns n’ Roses =

Robert Trujillo replacing Newsted in Metallica =

6. Axl recently put out the long awaited “Chinese Democracy” CD. What are Jason Becker’s thoughts and opinions on the release, and/or the Axl Rose story over the last decade?

Well, I hadn’t heard any of it when I read this question, so I just went to itunes and bought the two most popular songs, “Better” and “Chinese Democracy.” I liked “Better” a lot. “Chinese Democracy” didn’t do anything for me. It usually takes me two or three lis-tens to a song before I know if I like it or not though. I don’t know enough about Axl’s story to comment on it. Michael Lee Firkins told me he auditioned for GNR. Axl was sit-ting in the dark. He told Firkins that he used the whammy bar too much. HA HA! That made me lose a lot of respect for Axl. He obviously has no ear for brilliant and unique guitar playing. I think he blew it by not hiring Firkins.

When I was staying in Roth’s condo off of the Sunset Strip, right above Tower Records, I guess Axl was staying there too, because I ran into him on the elevator. He had a huge body guard with him. Axl and I nodded to each other, but I felt like he would prefer that I didn’t say anything, so I kept my trap shut.

Michael+Lee+Firkins.jpg

Edited by rancid punks

:rofl-lol: That's awesome.

There's a mile long queue of guitarists outside the door.

Young Firkins has waited for hours and hours, surviving on nothing but peanuts.

He gets the call.

Enters the room and plugs in...

Plays for 10 seconds

Axl: "too much whammy... Next!"

Firkins leaves and weeps the whole way home.

Jason Becker is my all time favorite guitar player, among with Slash, Brian May and Gary Moore.

A trully sad story what happened to Jason, with 16 years playing in Cacophony he was technically already better than any Buckethead will haver be; plus he had feeling and simply could do anything on the guitar.

Lee Firkins rocks as well, very good technically, and if it's true that the reason why he wasn't picked up was due to using the whammy bar intensivelly than that's the dumbest reason I'v ever heard. Well, nothing you wouldn't except from someone who basically could choose any guitar player in the world and ended up choosing a guy that's more famous for using a KFC on his head than actually to have written any piece of memorable music, just a complete trash.

Oh well...

Maybe Axl just didn't like his style, he has every right in the world not to have hired the guy. It's a shame about Becker, I've never known this, despite being quite fond of a few Cacophony songs. "Speed Metal Symphony" is a true piece of art. I think this is a legitimate reason not to have hired somebody though. I've never been quite fond of the whammy-ers like Kerry King and such.

Well, nothing you wouldn't except from someone who basically could choose any guitar player in the world and ended up choosing a guy that's more famous for using a KFC on his head than actually to have written any piece of memorable music, just a complete trash.

Oh well...

:rolleyes:

Guess that's a matter of taste. Many people find Buckethead's solo work memorable. You act as though Firkins is some superstar with legions of people hailing his work

picturing axl sitting in the dark while some poor guy has to audition is just classic.

I know, I'm imagining something like a scene from the Godfather.

So was I! Lol. That's why I chose, and darkened, a pic with a white animal on his lap.

picturing axl sitting in the dark while some poor guy has to audition is just classic.

I know, I'm imagining something like a scene from the Godfather.

So was I! Lol. That's why I chose, and darkened, a pic with a white animal on his lap.

Yeah, I thought so. Lol, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it.

Here's how I picture it:

axlwhammybarrant.jpg

I loved the story! I'm glad Axl keeps being himself and doing nothing to please others. He's unconquerable and that's one of many reasons why I admired him back in the day - and now he's showing he's still the same awesome rockstar I loved then. I bet he doesn't give a fuck about it and he won't deny this whammy bar comment. So what if he rejected the guy? He's fucking King Dick, he is the guy who gets to choose. And I didn't like Firkins either. :tongue2:

Someone should send TWAT to Jason.

I`ve checked a couple of Youtube videos of this Firkins felow and he totaly rocks - shame that Axl didn`t call him once Bucket left.

Edited by kok