Dr.Dre/Axl

ronartest2004

See,rap can even touch a young white girl who wasn't even born when Snoop/Dre were hitting it big.

:lol: funny thing is, i listened to rap all the time before i even thought about listening to rock. now i love em both equally.

anyone who doesn't like 'nuthing but a G thang' isnt worth my time :)

In 07 when I saw Velvet Revolver they came out to Straight Outta Compton, that was pretty cool.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and she loses all credibility. :/ ..

Sorry if the truth hurts.

besides 50 cent, those are all legit names in the rap industry..so i think it's you that lives an incredibly sheltered life madison. NWA is one of the most influential rap groups of all time. any rapper will tell you that they were influenced by NWA. just because you prefer rock over rap doesn't mean you can totally discredit it as shit. those names mentioned are NOT 'flavor-of-the-month' as you said. dr dre hasn't released an album since 1999 and people still talk about him and have an interest in him and his projects. those guys are very well known and have legacies, just like GNR and all those other bands you mentioned do. snoop dogg has put out great music. so has dr dre. so has NWA. so has eminem. the list goes on for all these critically acclaimed rap albums. but of course, rap is 'shit' so these critics have no idea what they're talking about.

don't be ignorant.

Oh please - do you honestly believe that if Snoop put out a "best of" album in 20 years from now that it would sell millions of copies the way that GNR's album did? If you believe this, then you - and your young naive pal InThisRiver - have truly gone down the river and are in denial. Seriously, the next generation of kids won't even know Snoop's name, let alone his music.

besides 50 cent, those are all legit names in the rap industry..so i think it's you that lives an incredibly sheltered life madison. NWA is one of the most influential rap groups of all time. any rapper will tell you that they were influenced by NWA. just because you prefer rock over rap doesn't mean you can totally discredit it as shit. those names mentioned are NOT 'flavor-of-the-month' as you said. dr dre hasn't released an album since 1999 and people still talk about him and have an interest in him and his projects. those guys are very well known and have legacies, just like GNR and all those other bands you mentioned do. snoop dogg has put out great music. so has dr dre. so has NWA. so has eminem. the list goes on for all these critically acclaimed rap albums. but of course, rap is 'shit' so these critics have no idea what they're talking about.

don't be ignorant.

Oh please - do you honestly believe that if Snoop put out a "best of" album in 20 years from now that it would sell millions of copies the way that GNR's album did? If you believe this, then you - and your pal InThisRiver - have truly gone down the river and are in denial. Seriously, the next generation of kids won't even know Snoop's name, let alone his music.

i'm sure if he released a 'best of' it would be very successful. idk about estimates, but it would sell well. snoop dogg is an icon in rap music. he's no soulja boy. he'll be remembered for a long time to come. if you don't believe that, i'm inclined to believe you live under a rock.

Edited by estranged 16

don't be ignorant.

Oh please - do you honestly believe that if Snoop put out a "best of" album in 20 years from now that it would sell millions of copies the way that GNR's album did? If you believe this, then you - and your young naive pal InThisRiver - have truly gone down the river and are in denial. Seriously, the next generation of kids won't even know Snoop's name, let alone his music.

To call Eminem and N.W.A. flavours of the month is just ridiculous. All I can say is if you wanna talk impact check out RS' Immortals list. See where Dre, Eminem and N.W.A. finished up compared to GN'R, not to mention albums like The Chronic, The Slim Shady LP and Straight Outta Compton considered more important for their timeframe than any GN'R album. Also like people mentioned before GN'R was gonna get N.W.A. to open, plus Slash and Duff recorded with Eazy and at the time of AFD, one of GN'R's biggest influences was the Beastie Boys.

... Who has given rise to some one the most important artists of our time?

Dre (Snoop, ODB, NWA, Eminem, 50 cent) ..

You consider these bands to be the "the most important artists of our time?" :confused: ... :rofl-lol:

Wow - I can only assume you're about 15 years old or have led an incredibly sheltered life when it comes to music.

All of those names created flavor-of-the-month music that people won't even remember in 15 or 20 years from now. The real musicians of our time are the ones who can create timeless music - lyrics and music that will have as much significance to someone 20 years from now as it does today. That's why truly gifted bands like Led Zeppelin, the Doors, and even Aerosmith are still going strong today. New generations of kids are discovering their music - and relating to it. The same will not be true with the pointless trendy lyrics that the bands you named wrote. ... GNR fits into the "gifted bands" category too. Do you really think that if Snoop puts out a "best of" album in 20 years from now that it will sell millions of copies the way GNR's music has?

Dr. Dre's first group N.W.A. first hit the scene in the late 80's, their first album straight outta compton in 1988. 21 years ago. It is still regarded as one of the greatest rap albums of all time. Just as afd is regarded as the best rock album of all time. N.W.A. still has the bite and the anger and aggression today as it did 20 years ago.

Dr. Dre's first solo album the chronic was released in 1992. It featured the then young snoop dogg as an up and comer and at some points upstages dre on the album. The chronic is still regarded as one of the best rap albums ever. 17 years ago.

Dre went on to produce a slew of hits, including Snoop's first solo album doggystyle which was the first debut album by an artist to start the charts at number one. He produced classics such as california love and no diggity and let me ride.

Then dre found eminem who was this decades most controversial rapper, and the most controversial rapper in the game since tupac. Dre then released his second album which has sold 10 million copies.

Dr. Dre has 3 grammys, and those are only for ones he was directly involved in, not counting songs eminem won for that he produced. Axl hasn't even been nominated. Dre had given rise to some of the biggest rap stars and legends and made rap mainstream.

And to say Dr. Dre's work wont stand the test of time is simply ludicrous, because it has. And besides, axl released his record already and it barely made a splash in the music world. Dre just appears on a single by eminem (Crack a Bottle) that wont even appear on his next record, and its a number one smash hit.

You consider these bands to be the "the most important artists of our time?" :confused: ... :rofl-lol:

Wow - I can only assume you're about 15 years old or have led an incredibly sheltered life when it comes to music.

All of those names created flavor-of-the-month music that people won't even remember in 15 or 20 years from now. The real musicians of our time are the ones who can create timeless music - lyrics and music that will have as much significance to someone 20 years from now as it does today. That's why truly gifted bands like Led Zeppelin, the Doors, and even Aerosmith are still going strong today. New generations of kids are discovering their music - and relating to it. The same will not be true with the pointless trendy lyrics that the bands you named wrote. ... GNR fits into the "gifted bands" category too. Do you really think that if Snoop puts out a "best of" album in 20 years from now that it will sell millions of copies the way GNR's music has?

Dr. Dre's first group N.W.A. first hit the scene in the late 80's, their first album straight outta compton in 1988. 21 years ago. It is still regarded as one of the greatest rap albums of all time. Just as afd is regarded as the best rock album of all time. N.W.A. still has the bite and the anger and aggression today as it did 20 years ago.

Dr. Dre's first solo album the chronic was released in 1992. It featured the then young snoop dogg as an up and comer and at some points upstages dre on the album. The chronic is still regarded as one of the best rap albums ever. 17 years ago.

Dre went on to produce a slew of hits, including Snoop's first solo album doggystyle which was the first debut album by an artist to start the charts at number one. He produced classics such as california love and no diggity and let me ride.

Then dre found eminem who was this decades most controversial rapper, and the most controversial rapper in the game since tupac. Dre then released his second album which has sold 10 million copies.

Dr. Dre has 3 grammys, and those are only for ones he was directly involved in, not counting songs eminem won for that he produced. Axl hasn't even been nominated. Dre had given rise to some of the biggest rap stars and legends and made rap mainstream.

And to say Dr. Dre's work wont stand the test of time is simply ludicrous, because it has. And besides, axl released his record already and it barely made a splash in the music world. Dre just appears on a single by eminem (Crack a Bottle) that wont even appear on his next record, and its a number one smash hit.

Actually, Use Your Illusion 1 was nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance at the 1992 Grammys.

Actually, Use Your Illusion 1 was nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance at the 1992 Grammys.

my mistake. i have found gnr has 3 nominations

on for gnr lies, one for use your illusion, and one for live and let die

but no victories. i believe the point still stands

a lot of rap artists being thrown around in this thread could be called the hinder of rap music; considering them to be truly representative of the entire genre is beyond ridiculous. it's equivalent to saying all rock music sucks because nickelback sucks. for every nickelback there's a radiohead. for every 50 cent there's an mf doom. blanket statements, by definition, are moronic.

in a recent article in gq, mos def was named the best lyricist working today, and "not just in rap, but in any genre, period." countless other journalists and even musicians--including elton john, bob dylan, trent reznor, and paul mccartney--have echoed similar thoughts, praising the genre as the most important form of music alive right now. surely they know what they're talking about. unless you think they're just being trendy. which makes me think you're just being an idiot.

it's not a phase. it's been around for decades and continues to evolve more rapidly than any other genre before it.

l_14277bd9413456bdb3ab30df0832fffe.jpg

The thing with rap is that for the most part it is remembered by those in the time it came out. Most of the "respected" music has to do with things of today(or that day) which means there's a pretty good chance it's not going to hold up over time and the rest of it I'd equate to Winger stuff from the 80's as just being hitch along that will be forgotten 2 years down the road...but it is the same way with every genre.

I would think a Snoop Dogg best of would sell decent in the future as well as a few others...but let's be honest, the vast majority of Rap artists are one hit/one disc wonders who then disappear within a few years. Then again....that's every genre. Every time someone wants to point out a Guns N' Roses greatest hits discs means Rock/Metal whatever is timeless I'd just point out Skid Row's greatest hits record sales. Comparing Dr. Dre to one of these one hit wonders is like comparing AC/DC to Jackyl. May be the same basic type of music...but there is NO comparison in the long run.

In 07 when I saw Velvet Revolver they came out to Straight Outta Compton, that was pretty cool.

That intro was BADASS. And every time I saw it, people in the audience knew the words and were rapping along.

Run DMC is being inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame next month. Grandmaster Flash is in, and the Beastie Boys have been nominated...they are sure to get in soon (I guarantee NWA is a lock too, their eligibility is coming up soon...) Regardless of what you think about the hall of fame and some of the dubious choices they've made in the past, it is obvious that there are rap groups that are still very highly regarded 25 years after they first came out.

The thing with rap is that for the most part it is remembered by those in the time it came out. Most of the "respected" music has to do with things of today(or that day) which means there's a pretty good chance it's not going to hold up over time and the rest of it I'd equate to Winger stuff from the 80's as just being hitch along that will be forgotten 2 years down the road...but it is the same way with every genre.

I would think a Snoop Dogg best of would sell decent in the future as well as a few others...but let's be honest, the vast majority of Rap artists are one hit/one disc wonders who then disappear within a few years. Then again....that's every genre. Every time someone wants to point out a Guns N' Roses greatest hits discs means Rock/Metal whatever is timeless I'd just point out Skid Row's greatest hits record sales. Comparing Dr. Dre to one of these one hit wonders is like comparing AC/DC to Jackyl. May be the same basic type of music...but there is NO comparison in the long run.

Prety much the sentiments that should be echoed by anyone with decent taste round these parts.

Well said, stacks.

All of those names created flavor-of-the-month music that people won't even remember in 15 or 20 years from now.

Snoop Dogg has been regularly releasing platinum albums since 1993; N.W.A. and Wu-Tang are two of the most acclaimed and influential groups of the eighties and nineties respectively, and their popularity is still going strong today; in 2000, Eminem, sold nineteen million copies of one album and earlier this year was still breaking sales records with his new single.

All Music Guide and Rolling Stone magazine both gave five star ratings to Snoop Dogg's debut. And N.W.A.'s debut. And Wu-Tang Clan's debut. And Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP. Are their writers all fifteen years old? Do they lead sheltered lives when it comes to music? Or is it both?

Nobody cares if you dislike a certain type of music for one reason or another, but your arguments are weak and typically ignorant of rock fans who don't listen to enough music--and just plain wrong, too; if you look at all the facts, none of the artists that guy mentioned is a "flavour of the month, who won't be remembered in x years." In fact, most of them have been around for over fifteen years and still have an enduring mainstream fanbase today.

Madison, it's pretty obvious that you can be pretty conservative when it comes to music sometimes, like many middle aged people, and this is a good example of it. No one is forcing you to like rap, but whether you like it or not, it is the dominant musical genre right now; it has been for over ten years. Rappers are actually among the most important artists of our time, and rap and hip hop is going to have a great influence on musical evolution in future years, and I think the best thing to do is just to accept it.

I think your statement about rap not being popular 20 years from now is made way to prematurely. As several posters in this thread have mentioned - albums from the golden age of hip hop still have a large influence on kids nowadays, in the same way as, for example, Appetite for Destruction or Led Zeppelin IV. To bring some of my own personal experiences with this, N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton was released more than two decades ago, and that is the album that really got me into hip hop and rap music back when I was 14, in 2006. As a matter of fact, I didn't really start listening to modern rap and hip hop until a year later. And I'm not just speaking for myself here - I've seen several people, especially around here, who got into rap all due to Straight Outta Compton or other hip hop classics like Illmatic, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back or All Eyez on Me.

what? just because he has a different taste in music? open ya mind.

Oh god, so much wrong here.

W.A. and Wu-Tang are two of the most acclaimed and influential groups of the eighties and nineties respectively, and their popularity is still going strong today; in 2000, Eminem, sold nineteen million copies of one album and earlier this year was still breaking sales records with his new single.

All Music Guide and Rolling Stone magazine both gave five star ratings to Snoop Dogg's debut. And N.W.A.'s debut. And Wu-Tang Clan's debut. And Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP. Are their writers all fifteen years old? Do they lead sheltered lives when it comes to music? Or is it both?...

Oh, blah blah blah.

Nobody is saying none of them have talent - I own a few myself. But the music is fleeting - not memorable in the big picture.

Bottom line: If Snoop released a "best of" album in 20 years from now, it likely wouldn't sell more than 100 copies - and that's being generous. Nobody will know or care. When GNR released a "best of" - it surged to the top of the charts. It all comes down to being able to write timeless music, whose lyrics and sound will still be relevant to future generations - and not just to restless teenagers in today's high schools. Sorry, just being honest. The best musicians and artists don't use cheap gimmicks and pointless offensive lyrics just so that they can sell records - They write words that transcend generations and are as relevant to people 20 years from now as they are to people today.

I believe in 20 years from now people will look back and shake their heads in amazement that kids thought it was "cool" to buy music that glamorized violence, spewed the N word, and called women "hos" throughout their music. But hey - I'll bet the rappers are laughing all the way to the bank. Nobody can accuse them of being dumb, that's for sure.

I think your statement about rap not being popular 20 years from now is made way to prematurely. As several posters in this thread have mentioned - albums from the golden age of hip hop still have a large influence on kids nowadays, in the same way as, for example, Appetite for Destruction or Led Zeppelin IV. To bring some of my own personal experiences with this, N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton was released more than two decades ago, and that is the album that really got me into hip hop and rap music back when I was 14, in 2006. ..

And with those words, you just proved my point. You're a 16-year old kid who is following the latest high school trend.

There's a reason why kids are going back and listening to classic, music-changing bands like Led Zeppelin, the Doors and even GNR today. It's because there is very little music out there today that compares. The lyrics and music transcend generations and kids still relate to those lyrics today. Kids are in a desert searching for really good music - and are only finding that music by going back a generation or two.

The best musicians and artists don't use cheap gimmicks

buckethead.jpg

gene_simmons_narrowweb__300x453,0.jpg

aladdinsane.jpg

cooper-alice-photo-xl-alice-cooper-6226509.jpg

SNF10ACDB_280_611153a.jpg

I don't think Buckethead's "best of" in 20 years from now will be ripping up the charts either. Hell, his music doesn't even rip up the charts today. :xmasssanta:

As for Kiss - they dropped the make-up a long time ago and let their music do the talking. Although I'm not a big fan of Kiss, I believe the band's music has stood the test of time.

Alice Cooper - his highly-theatrical shows (with guillotines, etc.) were extremely creative, and he simply dressed to fit the theme and tone of his music. I never considered that a gimmick.

David Bowie only wore the weird makeup in the early days, and he dropped that as he matured along with his music.

With all of these musicians you mentioned - they let the music do the talking - and they didn't try to sell records to naive kids using pointless derogatory lyrics aimed at promoting hate against a particular race or sex.

With all of these musicians you mentioned - they let the music do the talking - and they didn't try to sell records to naive kids using pointless derogatory lyrics aimed at promoting hate against a particular race or sex.

You have seven pictures of Axl Rose in your sig! Do you not see the hypocrisy here?!

I think your statement about rap not being popular 20 years from now is made way to prematurely. As several posters in this thread have mentioned - albums from the golden age of hip hop still have a large influence on kids nowadays, in the same way as, for example, Appetite for Destruction or Led Zeppelin IV. To bring some of my own personal experiences with this, N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton was released more than two decades ago, and that is the album that really got me into hip hop and rap music back when I was 14, in 2006. ..

And with those words, you just proved my point. You're a 16-year old kid who is following the latest high school trend.

I have created a taste for rap music all by myself. Actually most of my friends make fun of me because of it. Why am I listening to rap?

Edited by Wando

Nobody is saying none of them have talent - I own a few myself.

Which ones, if you don't mind me asking?

Bottom line: If Snoop released a "best of" album in 20 years from now, it likely wouldn't sell more than 100 copies - and that's being generous. Nobody will know or care. When GNR released a "best of" - it surged to the top of the charts. It all comes down to being able to write timeless music, whose lyrics and sound will still be relevant to future generations - and not just to restless teenagers in today's high schools. Sorry, just being honest. The best musicians and artists don't use cheap gimmicks and pointless offensive lyrics just so that they can sell records - They write words that transcend generations and are as relevant to people 20 years from now as they are to people today.

You're right, GN'R did write timeless music. Not original or particularly interesting music, though. They were a great pop band who wrote great pop songs about sex, love, drugs, etc.--things most people have experience with when they're young. That's why their greatest hits album sold so much: all the "restless teenagers in today's high schools" could relate to them.

I think some of the lyrics on Nas's Illmatic or Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, for example, have more depth than the simple and fairly cliché lyrics of Guns N' Roses, who often used "cheap gimmicks" ("the most dangerous band in the world," the feuds with Vince Neil and Kurt Cobain, "Look at Your Game, Girl," etc. ) and "pointless offensive lyrics" ("One in a Million," "Get in the Ring") to sell records.

I believe in 20 years from now people will look back and shake their heads in amazement that kids thought it was "cool" to buy music that glamorized violence, spewed the N word, and called women "hos" throughout their music. But hey - I'll bet the rappers are laughing all the way to the bank. Nobody can accuse them of being dumb, that's for sure.

On a Guns N' Roses forum? Really?

Edited by Black Monk Time

Here are the lyrics to Grandmaster Flash's The Message, one of the most important hip hop singles and as I stated earlier it was realesed in 1982. It's the first song to contain rapping I've been really into and I don't see any promotion of hate in the lyrics..

Btw, KISS is using their masks again.

Edited by Wando