U2 Discussion

CryptElf

I don't know I think Achtung was a pretty obvious play for mainstream success. Same with All That You Can't Leave Behind. After having the hits they experimented and exploited there position.

Primal Scream do the same to a smaller degree they work hard to have a hit then fuck around for two records then realize they need to get serious, stop making disco Stooges records. Even the Manics go Bon Jovi for a record then get Steve Albini in to fuck things up.

Well yeah it was a play for mainstream success but I am talking about how it was completely different to something they had ever done before and they mention in the book U2 By U2 that they were very worried it would backfire on them especially after the reaction to Rattle and Hum. Hence why Bono said "We are going away for a long time to dream it all up again." at the final concert before they started recording it.

Well yeah it was a play for mainstream success but I am talking about how it was completely different to something they had ever done before and they mention in the book U2 By U2 that they were very worried it would backfire on them especially after the reaction to Rattle and Hum. Hence why Bono said "We are going away for a long time to dream it all up again." at the final concert before they started recording it.

It was a risk but I think it was more of a risk not to change. It's not like they did an Angel Dust, they didn't intentionally make the most unlistenable album. Bono claims in his book that in actual fact it wasn't that much of a change as in the spirituality or soul of the songs is the same. Ultimately the songs weren't an endorsement of the postmodern life, or seeking a shallow thrills, it was finding solace inspite of it?

There's a funny part where he talks at length about how deep some of the supermodels they were hanging out with were, they were like the silent era movie stars of the 40s lol

I think Achtung still connected with U2 fans in the same way the other records did, but more importantly pulled in a load more. To me this is what I got from looking into U2 it's like Bono knows how to change without changing, he's always singing the same song.

I think the criticism of Rattle and Hum was that they were plundering American music and not being for real, I think they were trying to pay tribute to their heroes? I liked that record it was more rock n roll than before and in someways was like a bridge over to Achtung Baby.

Only thing about Bono I don't like is that he always comes across as a Religious studies teacher who throws up gang signs to lure you in. I guess he's in a long line of spiritual rock like Dylan, Cash. I think I'd like U2 more if he didn't talk so much about the songs religious meanings.

For sure Achtung isnt an Angel Dust, infact I would say it was close to the opposite as I personally find Achtung probably the easiest U2 album to listen to. Another big change which helped bring new fans in was I think also the fact the album wasn't that political compated to their other stuff and while the messages of the songs are still quite serious it still lets the album remain light and very listenable.

I agree full well with the criticism of RaH as while they were celebrating American music it did seem like they were taking rather than adding.

As for Bono being like a teacher, yes that is true which s why I love Achtung and the Zoo TV era as there wasn't so much of it at the time it was them having fun.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny that their albums are serious because in person U2 are a bunch of piss takers. Bono is more serious but I think on Zoo TV era the other members got more of a say and on Zooropa Bono is boozing with Bukowski. But they keep returning to this geo-political internationalism which is maybe what U2 is about but I prefer Numb to With or Without You. What I tend to do is just listen to the music and avoid reading Bono interviews.

Well their 90's stuff was pretty tongue in cheek, especially Pop which was basically a statement of resentment to pop-culture as shows in the Popmart tour but it never really went down the way they intended it too as quite a few people didnt understand the message...

I think they were making some sort of statement but at the same time were enjoying stepping out of a giant lemon? That's the thing I don't really know enough about them to say. But in releflecting the times a bit more made the music more accessible to non U2 fans. Once they got the black suits back on for All That...I lost interest because they sort of lost that experimental side.

I felt like the songs on Pop were pretty similar to their other albums but it was dressed up differently. Not the Only One Staring at the Sun could be off any U2 album? That's why I like the Hits album it just scrambles the songs up and puts the songs in a broader context, they just come off like a great rock band. Pretty much like the Manics Greatest Hits, if people just get that record they'd be like this is a great band but if you read the press it's this depressing story but really they are a great rock band.

When ATYCLB came out, if I read correctly in the U2 BY U2 book, they were basically trying to get past the experimental stuff. The Pop extravaganza was over and they were ready to move on. Regardless though, I think ATYCLB is a good album, but there are some tracks I could live without. Grace being one of them.

Stuck in a Moment is a good song. I think they were doing a back to basics type record. Elevation rocks pretty hard. I really like it on Zoorpoa when they were almost underground, it wasn't such an overt statement as Pop or as mainstream as Achtung. I mean they were doing songs about Johnny Cash, Bukowski, Frank Sintra. Babyface is a song a remember as being really good, Lemon was almost like a Prince song, with that really dramatic opening track, they were really hitting it on that album.

Yeah, I really started listening to Zooropa last week and I was really getting into it. The title track is great, and it's even better when it really kicks in with the lyrics "And I have no compass; And I have no map". And as you said, Lemon is a great track and the music video is great as well. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car was better live, in my opinion. Overall, I think my least favorite track from Zooropa would be The First Time. I just wish the band would play more stuff from the album rather than the occasional Stay (Faraway, So Close!). The Claw just screams for tracks like Zooropa; Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill me; The Fly; and Discothèque.

I quite like the new album the opening track is epic and If I Don't go Crazy track is good enough. I'd probably like them to go off in a more experimental direction but they go all U2 on Magnificient. I can see if they just did a pile of drugs they'd be unbelievable, or stopped giving a shit. Zooropa never reminds of a time everytime I listen to it just seems like right now, like a sountrack to that moment. The other songs are a bit nostalgic, not sure how a new record can make you feel nostalgic but they pull it off. To me they are more like Bob Dylan or Johnny Cash than a stadium rock band. That Zane guy was saying Zeppelin or Floyd and I just don't see them like that.

I think Zooropa is close to being their best record as it is so different. Wasnt trying to be mainstream it was just an experiment of them recording while touring and it was going to be an EP which grew into an album. Initially I wasn't a huge fan but it has grown on me alot recently.

The problem I have found with AATYCLB is it is far too top heavy to an even greater extent than the Joshua Tree. But you have BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On and Kite which are brilliant tracks and then the second half of the album is very forgettable...

And I have just realised it is very difficult to coherently express myself about U2 after 2 hours sleep >.<

I forgot about Wild Honey and Peace on Earth too. Wild Honey is a neat little track and Peace On Earth is a bit weak in the lyric section, but other than that it's a pretty cool song.. But the others I'm not a big fan of. This is what they should have done for the other three tracks.

Levitate > When I Look At The World

Smile > Grace

They also should have put Love You Like Mad on the album.

They should have taken those and switched them. The album would be top-notch then, in my opinion. And, even though I don't mind Wild Honey, I'm not sure if I like that or Flower Child more. Either one would work.

Edited by Black Sabbath

Since this thread is more of a U2 Discussion now, I'm posting the link for this performance.

That is one of my favorite U2 songs and it is performed greatly there. Bono does a fantastic job with Pavarotti's opera bit. That's a great concert overall.

Edited by Black Sabbath