My mouse stopped working

Gods Favourite

My Logitech MX518 suddenly stopped working last night. Suddenly the laser just went out and it wouldn't work. I tried putting it in, in all 3 USB-outputs.

2 of them makes the laser turn on, but wont make the mouse work on the screen.

1 of them doesn't do anything to the mouse at all.

What could be the problem here? I wasn't doing anything special with it, it just happened suddenly while my girlfriend was surfing around on the computer.

Are there any batteries in the mouse? If so, it could be worth a shot to try replacing them and seeing if that does anything. :shrugs: Also, have you tried using the mouse on different surfaces? Because I know mine will only work on certain surfaces itself.

No, no batteries. And yes, I have tried to put it on other surfaces, doesn't help :( Thanks though.

I'm guessing there'll be a connection problem, a wire's come loose. Try the USB plug on the mouse itself or the one going into the mouse.

Shame, that's a nice mouse - hope it's under warranty!

It seems theres a problem with the MX518 and those wires becoming loose. I've read that multiple places on the net. But if that's the problem, why won't other mouses work on my computer either? :shrugs: And why does it work on other computers?

Yeah, it's the best mouse I've ever had and if I had to buy a new one because of this, there's no doubt it'll be the same one :P

Edited by Gods Favourite

Try uninstalling the mouse in device manager under "USB human interface devices" and "mice and pointing devices". Reboot and let it reinstall. Its most likely going to be a driver problem, normally resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling.

Edited by Max™

But when I access "Mice and other pointing devices", the only thing that shows is "Dell Touchpad". I'm guessing it doesn't have anything to do with that, or? I do believe it has something to do with the driver though. I've tried 3 other mouses other than my own, none of them works on my computer :/.

I'm really lost here.

Thanks for helping Max!

You can borrow mine. It's been playing up too....

al21x3.jpg

Reported!!!!! Let's see what the admin has to say about that, HA!

Edited by Gods Favourite

Do the MXs come with drivers to be installed? If you never installed them, try installing them off the CD or get the latest ones from the site. However, it should work without any problems, as they're nearly all plug and play - hence why I'm guessing the problem is with the mouse itself.

Do the MXs come with drivers to be installed? If you never installed them, try installing them off the CD or get the latest ones from the site. However, it should work without any problems, as they're nearly all plug and play - hence why I'm guessing the problem is with the mouse itself.

The mouse works on other computers though. And even if it didn't and the mouse was the problem, why wont other mouses work on my laptop neither?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a similar issue. My Logitech mouse sometimes just doesn't work when I start up my PC. Most of the time it does work but it fails frequently enough for it to be a pain in the ass.

Basically I can click the left and right mouse button, that works, but I can't move the pointer. I have to yank out the USB cable and use my crappy Dell mouse instead for a while. Then, maybe a couple of days later, I'll plug in the Logitech and it'll work again for another month or two before it inevitably fails. I've got the Logitech mouseware program installed. I guess I could try uninstalling it but I've been too lazy to do that.

Edited by KBear

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...