Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

Pitman is a horrible sound engineer. Heavy metal or good old rock n Roll doesnt need these people. Silkworms, Rhiad and oh my god have absolutely nothing to do with gnr. Tracks like slither or Fall to pieces were the musical direction people wanted to hear from gnr.

I never understood the idea that artists are supposed to create music that the fans want to hear. Axl should make whatever he is inspired to make, and if that takes 3 guitarists and 2 keyboardists then that's how it's gonna be.

Of course this doesn't mean that fans have to like it either. I don't really enjoy OMG or Silkworms but that's okay.

Yeah that sounds nice in an ideal world. But if an artist wants to sell millions of albums and perform in big stadiums. Then I´m afraid that artist needs to make music that the masses would like to hear. I´m not sure many people out there are willing to spend money on an album full with songs like My World

My World has potential to be like Taste Good Don't It but it failed...

I actually like OMG but the Silkworms for me is just plain awful.

I concur. I actually think Oh My God is pretty cool. It's not the first thing that pops into my mind when I think "Guns N' Roses" or anything but it's a good song. Silkworms is shit, but if I ever heard the intended studio version I'd try to give it a fresh listen.

'Oh My God' was such a gnarly song to listen to. I think it most certainly helped me understand his intentions, as I remember thinking, "this is what he means. I understand now. He's taking this into a totally different musical direction."

It's raw. Unnerving. Melodic in a post industrial kind of way. Very cool. I fantasize about the 1999/2000 release of Chinese Democracy, as I think the era it would have been confined to would have changed the way we look at the album as a whole.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Like 4

I concur. I actually think Oh My God is pretty cool. It's not the first thing that pops into my mind when I think "Guns N' Roses" or anything but it's a good song. Silkworms is shit, but if I ever heard the intended studio version I'd try to give it a fresh listen.

'Oh My God' was such a gnarly song to listen to. I think it most certainly helped me understand his intentions, as I remember thinking, "this is what he means. I understand now. He's taking this into a totally different musical direction."

It's raw. Unnerving. Melodic in a post industrial kind of way. Very cool. I fantasize about the 1999/2000 release of Chinese Democracy, as I think the era it would have been confined to would have changed the way we look at the album as a whole.

Always loved Oh My God. Its actually probably one of the best written NuGuns songs there is. Theres alot of subtle elements of old Guns N' Roses music that are in there that get looked over because of the production and "industrial" elements.

Always loved Oh My God. Its actually probably one of the best written NuGuns songs there is. Theres alot of subtle elements of old Guns N' Roses music that are in there that get looked over because of the production and "industrial" elements.

Dizzy Reed wrote the chorus hook. That man is so talented. Oh My God is definitely one of the best new Guns songs imo. Axl sounds mean as hell. I love it. Wanted it to be a part of Chinese when it first came out. I hope it will make it's way to the remixed album if that ever gets released.

• Like 1

Dizzy Reed wrote the chorus hook. That man is so talented. Oh My God is definitely one of the best new Guns songs imo. Axl sounds mean as hell. I love it. Wanted it to be a part of Chinese when it first came out. I hope it will make it's way to the remixed album if that ever gets released.

Axls vocals are raw and aggresive. Which is when his performances are at his best alot of the time. That quality is kind of missed on alot of the Chinese stuff. And the lyrics are killer too.

Pitman is a horrible sound engineer. Heavy metal or good old rock n Roll doesnt need these people. Silkworms, Rhiad and oh my god have absolutely nothing to do with gnr. Tracks like slither or Fall to pieces were the musical direction people wanted to hear from gnr.

I never understood the idea that artists are supposed to create music that the fans want to hear. Axl should make whatever he is inspired to make, and if that takes 3 guitarists and 2 keyboardists then that's how it's gonna be.

Of course this doesn't mean that fans have to like it either. I don't really enjoy OMG or Silkworms but that's okay.

Yeah that sounds nice in an ideal world. But if an artist wants to sell millions of albums and perform in big stadiums. Then I´m afraid that artist needs to make music that the masses would like to hear. I´m not sure many people out there are willing to spend money on an album full with songs like My World

Often the best bands aren't selling millions of albums. Music and capitalism do not mix very well

Some high quality circle jerking over Oh My God here.

It's a totally inconsequential song in the history of rock music, unlike AFD, Lies, and UYI.

Which is fair enough as it was released by itself. Comparing it to albums and its impact on history of rock music, is odd.

Don't kid yourself though, AFD has some filler, which also sound somewhat dated now. eg. Anything Goes, Think About You, could argue for Out Ta Get Me as well.

For me its massively historical, as it was the first release post Slash leaving, at a time when internet wasnt as common place as now and the song being harder for average fans to obtain.

Edited by hudsonsaul
  • Like 4

Some high quality circle jerking over Oh My God here.

It's a totally inconsequential song in the history of rock music, unlike AFD, Lies, and UYI.

Which is fair enough as it was released by itself. Comparing it to albums and its impact on history of rock music, is odd.

Don't kid yourself though, AFD has some filler, which also sound somewhat dated now. eg. Anything Goes, Think About You, could argue for Out Ta Get Me as well.

For me its massively historical, as it was the first release post Slash leaving, at a time when internet wasnt as common place as now and the song being harder for average fans to obtain.

Great post.

RE the promo video

Is that the same voiceover lad from the "It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly..." video from the 2002 tour? Perhaps just one of those generic voices they use for ads but sounds like him. Video showcased the 2002 era band with (then previously unheard) studio clips of Chi Dem, Maddy and (at the time) The Blues.

RE the promo video

Is that the same voiceover lad from the "It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly..." video from the 2002 tour? Perhaps just one of those generic voices they use for ads but sounds like him. Video showcased the 2002 era band with (then previously unheard) studio clips of Chi Dem, Maddy and (at the time) The Blues.

Possibly. There's plenty of people in the voiceover industry that all have that same sort of epic announcement voice.