Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

You can rehearse all you want in the house but it doesn't build up the same energy and stamina that you'd get being in live room and moving around whilst singing.

I think he needs to stop moving around. Stand still like Myles Kennedy or Adele. Would help his singing if he did that even if it hurts his stage presence.

He barely moved at all in 2014. Compare it to 2012, there's a noticeable difference in his stage presence.

The Ritz he moved less and was better.

You can rehearse all you want in the house but it doesn't build up the same energy and stamina that you'd get being in live room and moving around whilst singing.

I think he needs to stop moving around. Stand still like Myles Kennedy or Adele. Would help his singing if he did that even if it hurts his stage presence.

He barely moved at all in 2014. Compare it to 2012, there's a noticeable difference in his stage presence.

Yeah and sounds awful in 2014. Sad to watch, haha.

Honestly can't argue with that, for the most part.

He needs to sing, sing and sing until the day he enters the stage. The more he sings, the better he'll sound, regardless if he is overweight or not. The weight - voice link is very overemphazized. He was thin in 2002, sounded like crap, and was chubby in 2010 and sang the shit out of every song. He needs to get his vocal chords and muscles in shape, not his body.

Could someone point me in a direction that corroborates this belief that Axl simply never goes to rehearsal? I found some quotes and bits here and there but nothing that would justify this becoming such an established fact.

Serious question

There's probably also enough rehearsal to be done without Axl at this point. Fortus will have to work out guitar parts with Slash since obviously he'll no longer be playing any of the Slash solos, and Duff and Frank will have to lock into a new groove. Richard is a pro so he probably couldn't care less if he's demoted to the triangle but all the same you're talking about relearning songs he's been playing for 15 years to conquer the "muscle memory" of the way he's grown accustomed to playing them.

The Ritz he moved less and was better.
The Ritz in 2012? I was there, he moved a lot. Way more than 2014. Crazy fucking show.

Could someone point me in a direction that corroborates this belief that Axl simply never goes to rehearsal? I found some quotes and bits here and there but nothing that would justify this becoming such an established fact.

Serious question

It's pretty well known that he very rarely showed up to rehearsals or sound checks on the UYI tour, and it hasn't improved since then. And there's stories of how when he does show up, he just watches. There's a clip from the 2002 VMA rehearsals, which could be seen as one of his big 'comeback shows', where he just basically 'talks' the lyrics in a weird voice. The first thing he ever tweeted was something like "So, this is a soundcheck..." (before the first show after CD's release).

For the record, I think he used to rehearse by himself at least a little bit before going on tour, before 2011. Since then he think I think he might sing a song or two while he walks around his house, but no serious rehearsing has happened since 09/10 IMO.

Serious question

It's pretty well known that he very rarely showed up to rehearsals or sound checks on the UYI tour, and it hasn't improved since then. And there's stories of how when he does show up, he just watches. There's a clip from the 2002 VMA rehearsals, which could be seen as one of his big 'comeback shows', where he just basically 'talks' the lyrics in a weird voice. The first thing he ever tweeted was something like "So, this is a soundcheck..." (before the first show after CD's release).

For the record, I think he used to rehearse by himself at least a little bit before going on tour, before 2011. Since then he think I think he might sing a song or two while he walks around his house, but no serious rehearsing has happened since 09/10 IMO.

He said sound check and rehearsals is bad luck for him at the HOB 2001 show.

It's common knowledge that Axl didn't rehearse and show up for soundchecks. Just figure that he flies in around showtime or sometimes a little after and you can figure out that he wasn't there for soundcheck.

The funny part is he was always angry about the sound being off or not being able to hear himself etc. Then show up for soundcheck FFS!

• Like 1

Sounds like they may have gotten a better offer or situation to reveal the lineup or do a performance. It might make the people criticizing them/Axl for dropping off Kimmel look stupid.

Good point, there's no telling what happened. I think the ultimate deal would be if GNR are asked to host Saturday Night Live...that could be the greatest show of all time.

I think he needs to stop moving around. Stand still like Myles Kennedy or Adele

Adele ?

Yeah, she stands still while she sings and it helps her a lot. Given how out of shape she is, if she ran around on stage a bunch it would have a big impact on her vocals just like it does with Axl.

Adele ?

Yeah, she stands still while she sings and it helps her a lot. Given how out of shape she is, if she ran around on stage a bunch it would have a big impact on her vocals just like it does with Axl.

That's what her shows are though. She isn't supposed to move around and her songs are supposed to be performed at a standstill.

Guns N' Roses songs aren't supposed to be performed like that.

As funny as it would have been to be at the O2 in Dublin when Axl got pissed and performed the entire show standing still, I don't want to see Axl do that at every show, regardless of how good he sounds.

Adele ?

Yes but Adele sings ballads... I don't' think that it's that easy to stand still and sing rock songs :headbang: