Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

I never thought of them as NuGnRs I always viewed it as The Axl Rose Band. Guns were & will always be Axl & Slash. Just like The Stones Mick & Keef, The Beatles John & Paul, Zep Jimmy & Robert. I know this will ruffle a few feathers but that's how I always looked at it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KiernanProud said:

I think he said in the TMZ interview it would take a couple of weeks. Plus it's just impossible that it's healed and he's up in less than 4 weeks. 

The injury happened April 1st. We are past 4 weeks. What he said at the airport makes me think either it will be off in time for the first show or it will definitely be off for the second show.

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I don't think Axl's bored with GNR. He sounds amazing on these AC/DC clips for the simple reason that AC/DC songs suit his voice much better than most GNR songs. Axl always sounds amazing when he screams and weaker when he's just singing. And AC/DC songs are all about screaming. That's why he sounds so good. It's as simple as that. For example look at some video where Axl's singing Better. He sounds kinda weak in the beginning, but as soon as the screaming part starts, he sounds amazing. And it's not just Better. If you forget about YCBM which requires an inhuman voice, pretty much every single GNR song that is all about screaming sounds incredible. But songs like SCOM where he has to sing instead of scream, tend to sound weaker. AC/DC songs are non stop yelling. That's why he always sounds great on them. No need to try to find deeper motivational reasons behind it.

Oh and Axl definitely didn't sound like shite on these last GNR shows. He sounded great, just not as good as in 2010.

While it is true about the ACDC songs, I don't think Axl sucks when "singing". Listen to TIL, Patience or Knockin On Heaven's Door. He has to sing on those and he does an amazing job.

2 hours ago, KiernanProud said:

I think he said in the TMZ interview it would take a couple of weeks. Plus it's just impossible that it's healed and he's up in less than 4 weeks. 

According to the video with the orthopod (posted 4/8), the plan was to start putting weight on it after 4 weeks so I'm guessing the cast is either going shortly or already gone. They'll probably switch to a removable soft cast or some such

Edited by Nick Cobraetti
grammar

2 hours ago, AFD5 said:

I never thought of them as NuGnRs I always viewed it as The Axl Rose Band. Guns were & will always be Axl & Slash. Just like The Stones Mick & Keef, The Beatles John & Paul, Zep Jimmy & Robert. I know this will ruffle a few feathers but that's how I always looked at it.

No need to be apologetic. There are plenty of your persuasion here, so you are in good company. Of course, a lot of us think otherwise though ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, killuridols said:

I agree with most of what you said, except that he sounds like crap in 2016 for GNR.

The reason he's bored with GNR is because he's been on tour forever with the nuGNR. He worn out the excitement. While on nuGNR, aside the counted occasions  the set list would consist of many CD songs, he could never stop playing most of AFD or else people wouldn't have attended the show.

This is proof that everybody was right before: Axl should have gone solo, release at least 3 albums with his band, and now come back for the reunion fresh and excited. He's like a kid in a toy store now with ACDC, of course, it's a whole different set list. It's a challenge and he's under the direction of someone else.

Team Brazil are also part to blame for his laziness. They don't have the strong hand Axl needs to keep him motivated and doing stuff. Why he's been rehearsing with GNR? Same reason than with ACDC: someone else is in charge of the tour, he's signed a millionaire contract he can't break, Slash and Duff must have added this as one of the main conditions to return, etc.

Conclusion: Axl needs real professional management in order to function right. I'm really scared of what's gonna happen after the tour ends.

That's going beyond stating opinion. Really, how do you know whether he is motivated or bored - I mean, how can you tell how he is feeling? He's done a tour almost every other year over the last decade. We don't know for a fact what his musical output has been in that time, or in the 'lost' decade before that. Axl is a complicated individual, based on what we've seen throughout his history. For all you know, Team Brasil is what's keeping aspects of his life together for him. Maybe he needs some structure, or a strong hand, maybe he doesn't. What's clear is that he doesn't live his life based on the opinions and whims of those in GN'R fandom and while it may not be all good for us, good on him for that.

For whatever it's worth, something seems to be going right in his life right now - with him accepting Slash and Duff on whatever terms he has, to peaceably and even joyously work together and then, do this amazing thing with AC/DC. Let's just hope that good things continue for him behind the scenes.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, killuridols said:

While it is true about the ACDC songs, I don't think Axl sucks when "singing". Listen to TIL, Patience or Knockin On Heaven's Door. He has to sing on those and he does an amazing job.

True! I don't think he suck on any song. I meant that he tends to sound weaker when he sings, compared to when he screams. That doesn't mean that he always sounds weak when he sings though. He sounds great when he sings with a lower voice for example on Don't Cry. But when he sings with a higher pitch voice, he tends to sound weaker, for example on SCOM. When he screams he always sounds good, and that's why AC/DC songs suit his current voice so well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babooshka said:

At one point he tried to dissolve the band, I think in 2010. He's been obviously bored with nuGNR for years. The band became a burden to him imo. He may be rejuvenated with Slash back and the bigger crowds etc, but the ac/dc thing is also going to be exciting. The man has been creatively dead for so long, this has got to be a welcomed change. I hope it pumps him up for the summer tour and gets him into good shape.

I'm sure that he's excited to work with AC/DC, but that's not the reason why he sounds good on those songs. He's probably happy to have Slash back in the band too, and perhaps he had lost his motivation at some point. At least in early 2014 he seemed a little bored. Maybe even depressed. But I'm not sure if I agree with your view on how long his lack of motivation has been going on. Is there any proof that he tried to dissolve the band in 2010? Or is that just another MSL rumour?

1 hour ago, vicson said:

If Axl sounds like shit in 2016 ( which is madness) don't listen to it. It's so easy and that simple!

Well I wouldn't be able to assess whether he was shit (or not) if I did that! I mean I wouldn't know anything - he could have been quite brilliant for all I would know, so what sort of logic is that haha?

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

You can only speak for yourself on that one, I honestly think Axl has knocked it out of the park so far in general in regards to the 2016 shows.

Maybe 'shit' was a bit strong but I personally only detected a marginal improvement from 2014 to 2016 (reunion), with still frequent interludes of Mickey. On those AC/DC clips he sounds like he did in 2006 with the full on rasp. Big difference! 

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well I wouldn't be able to assess whether he was shit (or not) if I did that! I mean I wouldn't know anything - he could have been quite brilliant for all I would know, so what sort of logic is that haha?

Maybe 'shit' was a bit strong but I personally only detected a marginal improvement from 2014 to 2016 (reunion), with still frequent interludes of Mickey. On those AC/DC clips he sounds like he did in 2006 with the full on rasp. Big difference! 

I definitely do think he sounds great in the AC/DC videos for sure, I cannot wait to hear him rock out during the shows!  Although I do think that Axl is all around a lot stronger vocally, sure Mickey does pop up but I think that a lot of the issue is Axl's mid range, not necessarily hitting the high notes.  With the AC/DC tunes Axl will be up in his consistently decent high range for the majority of the time.  But even then, maybe it is just the fact that Axl has been sitting, but I have noticed a lot more energy even with the Mickey voice going on

Edited by WhazUp

8 hours ago, AFD5 said:

How can you say that when your name is 'AFD5'? lol.

Guns N' Roses is a sum of its parts, and it's arguable that Izzy, Duff and Steven had profound influences on the early band.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I definitely do think he sounds great in the AC/DC videos for sure, I cannot wait to hear him rock out during the shows!  Although I do think that Axl is all around a lot stronger vocally, sure Mickey does pop up but I think that a lot of the issue is Axl's mid range, not necessarily hitting the high notes.  With the AC/DC tunes Axl will be up in his consistently decent high range for the majority of the time.  But even then, maybe it is just the fact that Axl has been sitting, but I have noticed a lot more energy even with the Mickey voice going on

I's more than that, imo. His voice on that Thunderstruck clip goes beyond his usual raspy high notes such as he does in Jungle or Nightrain. It has that depth, that rasp that sounds almost artificial for a human being, and that hasn't been really heard since 2010. It sounds like a chainsaw.

6 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I's more than that, imo. His voice on that Thunderstruck clip goes beyond his usual raspy high notes such as he does in Jungle or Nightrain. It has that depth, that rasp that sounds almost artificial for a human being, and that hasn't been really heard since 2010. It sounds like a chainsaw.

Yes, just not quite enough depth for Hells Bells, unfortunately.

26 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Should say Axl's shit ;)

Yup. It's Axl's trunk, check the label with the CD era logo with Axl's name. My guess is they added ACDC so that it'll get handled with the other ACDC stuff. I wouldn't read anything more into it.

Edited by axlslash