Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

19 hours ago, wasted said:

In what way? We don't know for sure. People tend to just take what Slash says in a vacuum. Especially in the late 90s. Axl never really defended himself. Maybe it took him 10 years to come up with his excuses. I prefer what Duff said Axl was this and that, but I also had my problems. 

I just tend to wave it all off because Slash and Duff were drug fucked at the time, lol. They probably didn't have a clear understanding of the situation at the time, and their memories are probably poor as a result. I wouldn't trust anything they say on the matter, but i would also be very cautious of what Axl says as well. All i can say for Axl is that he wasn't as fucked up as the others, and he mostly kept his mouth shut. As a result, ii think he is more reliable, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I just tend to wave it all off because Slash and Duff were drug fucked at the time, lol. They probably didn't have a clear understanding of the situation at the time, and their memories are probably poor as a result. I wouldn't trust anything they say on the matter, but i would also be very cautious of what Axl says as well. All i can say for Axl is that he wasn't as fucked up as the others, and he mostly kept his mouth shut. As a result, ii think he is more reliable, but that's just my opinion.

I understand the rationale behind what Axl is saying about the name. They were about to die. They both came close. So he wanted to protect himself. But how Axl instigated that was through his passive agrressive style. Do what I want or I'm going home. But you can see from his side they didn't care about him either. So on one side it's like ah the business doesn't mattter, we'll die and you'll lose control of the band. But on the other side, no business matters you can't keep the name. 

In a perfect world they don't die, but I mean Slash was ODing all over the place. From the outside we just think it's cool. But people closer to the band were probably scared. Dougie must have been stressed the fuck out. So this one clause calmed Axl down and should have been a wake up call. Everyone is legally preparing for us to die. Classic denial is to read that like they have the problem, we're cool. I guess though it just gave Axl even more power. Now we're going to do things my way or you're out. 

Strangely it seems to come down to Axl being on stage on time more than anything. If they avoid making music together, then it's a workable situation. I'm sure if Axl starts being late Slash and Duff will be gone. And if Slash has to wait for Axl in the studio before touring he'll probably take off and do solo stuff. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sprite said:

It's not that Slash was a shit talker or rumor monger towards Axl. It's just it was always so one sided against Axl from so many people. Yet Axl never said a word for so long and still hasn't. He had the bad guy reputation going before the breakup already. So when he went into his hiding phase, the focus turns to Slash. Slash went public. They made it too easy for reactive people to pick sides. 1 quiet guy everyone loves playing a victim card vs the asshole who hasn't been seen or heard from since 94. So the legend grew. Then you have people like Goldstein saying Axl threatened a no show if they didn't sign him naming rights minutes before a show. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that would be a feasible legal option. But Axl said that in the chats so I'm just biased I guess. Axl's rationale for doing that never really seems to be put in context either. It's not glamorous to talk about effects of excessive drinking/drugs anymore or just the pure and utter chaos that rockstar  lifestyle must be and somehow trying to keep a lid on it.

Then the re emergence in 2002 for both Axl and Slash. Oh my god, rio, 02 MTV awards, riots. "That didn't look like what you thought it would look like" was the reaction of a lot of people for new guns. Then comes VR and it's a mainstream hit. Battleship sunk. VR sounds and looks like what we think veteran rock musicians should sound and look like at this age in this era. Axl was about 6 years too late. 96/97 that 2002 band is a hit. Weird was in. It's like they were timecapsuled aesthetically and sound wise in 1997 and couldn't shake it till 03. Not that they needed to.

but Slash and Axl were playing different games. Axl's the perpetual bad guy trying to resurrect the old band. I feel it was more and more accepted as years went on. Particularly 06-12. Slash is the crossover artist everyone loves. He created a super band. He plays with the pop stars. He's on cartoons and late night shows. Old, young, white,black. We all love him.He got to play the part of good guy for sometime. 

but the thing about the truth is it always waits for eyes unclouded by longing or judgement. As the years go by Axl's "side" of the breakup if that's even a thing and keeping the naming rights and his desire to see it continue makes more and more sense. I'm not saying Axl is innocent or Slash is a bad person. I think it's just the way it happened. It probably comes down to poor communication which is the root behind any relationship failure. There are no bad guys. Just some mistakes in retrospect.

Looking ahead they seem to've put it past them. One can only hope they continue touring and maybe just maybe we'll get a new something someday.

I think Doug said recently. Axl said I'm not going on if they don't sign, but Dougie that's duress so he worded it different. 

But yeah I see that Axl's bad rep may have made him paranoid. I have to keep the name or I'll be completely fucked. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Seriously though, what the fuck does that mean?

She's on the plane, makeup free in laid-back clothes. She also wants you to check out her hat.

This whole conversation is reminding me of the "Cash me outside howbow dat!" chick... :lol:

Edited by Kris_1989

18 minutes ago, cheesecake said:

Makeup free she is not. 

Oh okay. Noooowww i get what her tween language refers to. Lid = eyelids? Oh brother.

"Lid" means  hat.  She wants you to notice her hat. :facepalm: I'm almost as bothered by the addition of Melissa as I am by all the Steven stuff going on.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Don't feel bad, when @Jane M. said she used urban dictionary to translate, I had to google urban dictionary :lol:

Great to know I'm not alone :lol:

54 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

When the current generation of people in their late teens and earls 20s is in their 30s 10-15 years from now on this will be normal tbh. She totally doesn't come across as a woman in her 30s right now though, she lives like she's still 16 it seems

Should ask her to prom.

55 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

When the current generation of people in their late teens and earls 20s is in their 30s 10-15 years from now on this will be normal tbh. She totally doesn't come across as a woman in her 30s right now though, she lives like she's still 16 it seems

I know right. She's sometimes a bit cringey trying to look like she's as hip as 18-20 yr old. Maybe she got used to do it since she's always hip? :shrugs: 

Personally, I think Melissa's updates should go in the Unofficial social media thread.

Not because I'm questioning her status in the band. But every time I come in here to see what Axl, Slash and Duff are saying I see a Melissa post followed by 2-3 pages of disgruntled rants and urban slang clarification

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I am in my 30s and no one speaks like that. This is what pisses me off so much about her.

• Like 2