Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

Just out of curiosity how old is Melissa?

I don't think she's a girl anymore. Problem is she can do whatever she wants but do it outside of GNR. The way she presents herself, her "music" don't belong to the band.

31 minutes ago, starlight said:

Just out of curiosity how old is Melissa?

I don't think she's a girl anymore. Problem is she can do whatever she wants but do it outside of GNR. The way she presents herself, her "music" don't belong to the band.

I have a sneaky and rad suspicion that's she's forty.  Totally dope and lit if she's 38 though.

She's in the band.

Just now, KURT19 said:

I have a sneaky and rad suspicion that's she's forty.  Totally dope and lit if she's 38 though.

She's in the band.

I think she's around 28 or 29. :shrugs:

10 minutes ago, starlight said:

I've read she was in her early thirties but it seems she's 38 and she acts like a teenager

How old are you? I mean, so we all can judge whether you act appropriately and according to your age or not.

8 minutes ago, Jeez said:

How old are you? I mean, so we all can judge whether you act appropriately and according to your age or not.

I'm younger then her and I don't speak like that and you can judge me  all you want I always make valid points 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RONIN said:

If they behaved in an authentic way that had integrity and was true to their roots - few would be bitching. Pearl Jam would be a great example of a band that remained authentic.

The transition from the Appetite era to the 40 year old neon haired anime synth person era has been jarring for many.

Fans are not out of line to have issues with her or the reputation of the band with her inclusion. It is what it is. All that being said, she's a necessary evil imho. Axl can't live without his synth and Melissa is as good as anyone to layer the fuck out of Appetite songs with choir, harps, beeps and whatever the fuck else.

I've excepted Dizzy Reed as part of the band. He's not a big favorite of mine, but I actually like his playing a lot on songs like 14 years and Dust n' Bones. Yep, the "Izzy" songs. 

Do they need a second keyboardist? I guess it's a matter of opinion. I don't think so, but Axl seems to. I think it has a lot to do with his "more is more" -attitude. You are definitely right about Appetite, it doesn't need any extra bells and whistles (well, except cowbell :))

When I think about Melissa's image, I think Axl  might have chosen her, because she's someone who could appeal to a younger audience. She gives the band more fresh/hip vibe. (So they wouldn't appear to be just bunch of middle-aged rock 'n' roll dinosaurs) Although I think that vast majority of  people are going to their concerts because of Axl/Slash/Duff.   

I've said this before. I have nothing personal against her. There just  isn't anything particularly "rock n' roll" about her.  Too polished and vanilla for my taste. She looks like a pop star (but unlike many pop stars, she does have a good singing voice)

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Pitman had a much better stage presence than her

chris-pitman.png

If you look at that picture, he actually does look like a rocker (and that  can be a hard thing to do if you are a keyboardist :lol:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I've excepted Dizzy Reed as part of the band. He's not a big favorite of mine, but I actually like his playing a lot on songs like 14 years and Dust n' Bones. Yep, the "Izzy" songs. 

Do they need a second keyboardist? I guess it's a matter of opinion. I don't think so, but Axl seems to. I think it has a lot to do with his "more is more" -attitude. You are definitely right about Appetite, it doesn't need any extra bells and whistles (well, except cowbell :))

When I think about Melissa's image, I think Axl  might have chosen her, because she's someone who could appeal to a younger audience. She gives the band more fresh/hip vibe. (So they wouldn't appear to be just bunch of middle-aged rock 'n' roll dinosaurs) Although I think that vast majority of  people are going to their concerts because of Axl/Slash/Duff.   

I've said this before. I have nothing personal against her. There just  isn't anything particularly "rock n' roll" about her.  Too polished and vanilla for my taste. She looks like a pop star (but unlike many pop stars, she does have a good singing voice)

If you look at that picture, he actually does look like a rocker (and that  can be a hard thing to do if you are a keyboardist :lol:)

Yes :headbang:

14048931273_918a234227_b.jpg

Edited by Sosso

My only complaint about Melissa on stage that I really just cant handle is how she continues to jump/dance until there are no sounds left.  Like the rest of the band has actually ended the song and is doing the rock n roll finish of staccato notes and then the drum builds on the cymbal and then they all look at each other and go 'bang bang' and then its done.  She dances/jumps like as if the song is still grooving along through all of that.  At lest sometimes she does.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Let's face it. NuGnR has no identity. The gag order is the most ridiculous band policy in the history of rock. As result of that we got a patchwork album, which simply doesn't sound right. 100 ideas of different employees mixed up with Axl's voice from different years. And Slash and Duff joined this game actually for the same reasons than all the other employees. Money. 

I'm sure that Duff and Slash wanted to do us fans a favor with this reunion somehow, but as long they are only part of Axl's band policy, it's a cash grab farce. At least for me. 

I would have been ok if Izzy, Steven, Gilby and Matt would be part of this lame game, but only 3 of them milking the cow is pointless...

Edited by 2414225
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 2414225 said:

Let's face it. NuGnR has no identity. The gag order is the most ridiculous band policy in the history of rock. As result of that we got a patchwork album, which simply doesn't sound right. 100 ideas of different employees mixed up with Axl's voice from different years. And Slash and Duff joined this game actually for the same reasons than all the other employees. Money. 

I'm sure that Duff and Slash wanted to do us fans a favor with this reunion somehow, but as long they are only part of Axl's band policy, it's a cash grab farce. At least for me. 

I would have been ok if Izzy, Steven, Gilby and Matt would be part of this lame game, but only 3 of them milking the cow is pointless...

Not to derail thsi thread with open discussion of what you've stated, but you're partyly right and partly wrong IMHO, partly right about nuGNR and partly wrong about GN'R'16-'17

4 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Not to derail thsi thread with open discussion of what you've stated, but you're partyly right and partly wrong IMHO, partly right about nuGNR and partly wrong about GN'R'16-'17

I think the disconnect with NuGNR was always the lack of publicity, obviously. But a majority of the live shows and you could tell the chemistry, and whatever limited public stuff they did, they (regardless of lineup) were always very much a band.

I think about that TV spot for Turkey or Axl's interview with Kimmel. It was very much we/us.

my personal belief is that they felt that if they did publicity there would always be the naysayers and the bad press (whether right or wrong) so why bother.

Edited by ohmygod

15 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Every time I'm reminded of Chris Pitman's existence, I thank God (:slash:) we have Melissa now. Even in her dumbest moments she's so much better than the old one.

What's not to like? The fact that she uses certain words or doesn't quite fit the image of the band as some know it? Who cares. She's much more modest than Pitman, and much better on the eyes too. Melissa arguably performs better as well. At the end of the day, the band wanted her there instead of Pitman, and that's all there is to it.