Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Surprised but not surprised by the prominence of bands like Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers. How are these bands still relevant?

I imagine actually releasing material lends to their popularity, but also they both have more hits than Guns N Roses, and at least for the Chili Peppers, their most popular records don't sound old (Blood Sex Sugar Magic Californication, By the Way, Stadium Arcadium). Plus they both reached multiple generations because they released material over the course of 30 years, where as GNR is stuck as a band that truly only ever reached one generation of people (in that they only had major mainstream exposure when they were still together).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

:lol:

yeah, that list is so like WTF?? am I living in the early 2000's?

Panic at the disco?!!

I dont think those lists reflect the music young people listen to nowadays.

This must be streamed by older people. It makes no sense!

Exactly - it looks like a late 90's/early 00's list of popular rock bands. :question::lol:

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Neither list inspires much confidence but the US list in particular is a disgrace.

How are the Stones not in the top 20, let alone top 10 in the US?

Surprised but not surprised by the prominence of bands like Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers. How are these bands still relevant?

Where's U2?

People still listen to Blink 182, fall out boy and green day? 

Why because GNR ain't top20 in the US? By the way, people still listen to Guns N' Roses? If it wasn't for the reunion, how GN'R would be still relevant? None of my friends listen to them or know who they are, they don't even listen to rock music.

The Stones aren't big sellers, their hits keep them on the map because keep in mind rock doesn't sell as much as it used to be. It's almost dead.

Metallica's black album sells 5K copies per week, because it's metal for the maintream + #1 metal american band + huge fanbase = impressive figures.

Also most of these bands release new albums with constant hits unlike GN'R. They haven't disappeared like GN'R.

You take a look at these bands and none of them are hard-rock based on riffs, they're pop-rock bands. When streamers listen to Guns N' Roses, they listen to Jungle, PC, SCOM, Don't Cry + November Rain, because it's pop music to them and because of the nostalgic music videos.

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Frankly do you know other new popular rock acts since the '00s?

Young people aren't much interested in listening to dad-rock, because like it or not, bands like GnR sound extremely dated. Fashion-wise too. Some like maybe the energy or the melodies, but it ain't the 80s anymore.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Why because GNR ain't top20 in the US? By the way, people still listen to Guns N' Roses? If it wasn't for the reunion, how GN'R would be still relevant? None of my friends listen to them or know who they are, they don't even listen to rock music.

The Stones aren't big sellers, their hits keep them on the map because keep in mind rock doesn't sell as much as it used to be. It's almost dead.

Metallica's black album sells 5K copies per week, because it's metal for the maintream + #1 metal american band + huge fanbase = impressive figures. Also most of these bands release new albums with constant hits unlike GN'R. They haven't disappeared like GN'R.

You take a look at these bands and none of them are hard-rock based on riffs, they're pop-rock bands. When streamers listen to Guns N' Roses, they listen to Jungle, PC, SCOM, Don't Cry + November Rain, because it's pop music to them and because of the nostalgic music videos.

Because the Stones aren't in the top 10 at least. For such an influential band to not even make the US list is surprising.  It's amazing to me that AC/DC is streamed more by Americans than the Stones.

Agreed on GnR being irrelevant. Given the tepid response in Coachella, I don't see American teens embracing them anytime soon like other retro rock bands (Nirvana, Metallica, etc).

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

Just now, RONIN said:

Because the Stones aren't in the top 10 at least. For such an influential band to not even make the US list is surprising.  It's amazing to me that AC/DC is streamed more by Americans than the Stones.

Agreed on GnR being irrelevant. Given the tepid response in Coachella, I don't see American teens embracing them anytime soon like other retro rock bands (Nirvana, Metallica, etc).

Good point on pop songs being the most streamed songs for rock bands compared to their heavier songs. Those are usually the gateway songs for bands - I'm sure SCOM and Don't Cry brought in a ton of GnR fans to the fold.

AC/DC sold more albums than the Stones, U2 or Queen. They have Back In Black (#2 album of all time) and Highway To Hell. Can't compete with that, so easy to listen, so powerful. It transcends everything.

To me The Stones don't really have a smash album, all they have in the world of streaming services are hit singles like Satisfaction or Start Me Up. The discography is a lot more obscure imo. They are not as beloved as the Beatles.

Sure it's a shame, but I don't know you but usually I don't like when something goes or stays mainstream. It's a product. It contributes to the misery of the world. Mainstream rock has always been cringeworthy. That's why NIN, Tool or Alice In Chains... will eternally rule.

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Panic at the disco?!!

Yeah, because it's a rock bands list, and younger people mostly don't listen to rock...

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Sure it's a shame, but I don't know you but usually I don't like when something goes or stays mainstream. It's a product. It contributes to the misery of the world. Mainstream rock has always been cringeworthy. That's why NIN, Tool or Alice In Chains... will eternally rule.

These bands are mainstream too.

So Zeppelin and AC/DC are cringeworthy?

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

That's the question right there.  And no, not really, but I'm gonna keep looking!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There is also a rumour that he'll be touring again with AC/DC by then. I guess, if it's true, it will be in South America, because it was left out from the latest AC/DC tour.

aaargh, make a fucking GNR album instead...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Young people aren't much interested in listening to dad-rock, because like it or not, bands like GnR sound extremely dated. Fashion-wise too. Some like maybe the energy or the melodies, but it ain't the 80s anymore.

:confused:

I didn't say differently...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

Either Nirvana are in this list,not  be just  GNR either U2,at random list what not said much,Blink182 is more important what GNR,U2,RSTONES or  NIRVANA and FOO FIGHTERS ?

13 hours ago, RONIN said:

People still listen to Blink 182, fall out boy and green day? 

Both Blink and Green Day put out albums last year and Blink even got their first Grammy nomination for theirs. FOB is gearing to release an album. 

So yeah, people are still listening. Probably because they have both new and old stuff to listen to. 

15 hours ago, killuridols said:

Panic at the disco?!!

Panic! At The Disco has had a huge comeback. Brendon Urie has led their resurgence. The same can be said for Fall Out Boy (Save Rock and Roll  and beyond). As far as Blink goes, they have been getting more and more popular as the years go by--especially with those who never experienced their commercial peak. They are now seen as pioneers of Pop-Punk (or whatever you want to call it). I go to parties today and when their classic songs come on, the majority of the crowd knows the words. While their future may be in doubt (Tom DeLonge is gone), their legacy remains intact. The Peppers have pretty much been relevant since 1991 and have steadily released hits since. 

14 hours ago, RONIN said:

That is not true. I was at Coachella, and people loved them. 

Hey gus, someone knows something about this? It was retweeted by the GN´R´s official acount...

EDIT.: Forget it...Just a regular contest..I was thinking that´s a livestream but it´s not! My bad!:facepalm:

Edited by Derick

11 hours ago, IndiannaRose said:

That is not true. I was at Coachella, and people loved them. 

I stand corrected. I'm going off press coverage of the event on Night 1 where they said a significantly lower crowd turned out for GnR compared to the prior act before them, NWA. 

There was also talk on the show thread about people dispersing early and not really being into the show. Good to see that wasn't the case.

Coachella is really a weird audience - most of the people who go to that festival are there to be seen, rather than actually being music fans. It's more of a social event afaik.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Coachella is really a weird audience - most of the people who go to that festival are there to be seen, rather than actually being music fans. It's more of a social event afaik.

Coachella is not just for people who are there to be seen. Apparently, it is also for people, who want to see bands no one has ever seen (because they don't exist :D)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Coachella is not just for people who are there to be seen. Apparently, it is also for people, who want to see bands no one has ever seen (because they don't exist :D)

I remember this :lol::facepalm:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I've not seen that before :facepalm::facepalm::lol:

On 25-7-2017 at 4:42 AM, RONIN said:

They are both legendary and they are still relevant because they keep releasing music. RHCP released an album last year that was received well by both critics and fans, and they've been touring the world for over a year now, and not merely playing the greatest hits, like some bands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Those Jimmy Kimmel videos are fake. Not joking, google it :D 

Aaaw.. you ruined it for me now. :lol: But, even if the videos are fake, I still believe there are people like them among Coachella audiences.. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers