Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

2 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Axl just tweeted:

Axl Rose
Twitter › axlrose
RIP John Hurt "Archibald u speak! One must never underestimate the healing power of hatred!" Montrose in Rob Roy

Slash also posted about it. RIP John Hurt :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gooner14 said:

Nahh bro. I can't stand DJ ashba. He's the worst of the lot. 

That is the notion I get around here. I wasn't following the band closely at the time he was in it but I obviously saw a few videos here and there. I don't have a lot to go by but out of the dozen or so CD era guitarist he bothered me the least. Then again people talk a lot about Paul Huge but I don't recall anything overly annoying about him. I used to watch that RIO show quite a bit.

40 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is the notion I get around here. I wasn't following the band closely at the time he was in it but I obviously saw a few videos here and there. I don't have a lot to go by but out of the dozen or so CD era guitarist he bothered me the least. Then again people talk a lot about Paul Huge but I don't recall anything overly annoying about him. I used to watch that RIO show quite a bit.

Robin Finck and Buckethead bothered you more lol?

2 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Robin Finck and Buckethead bothered you more lol?

Like I said I wasn't following Gn'R when Ashba was in the band.  I just saw a few songs on TV and he never jumped out as terrible during that small sample. 

Finck and Buckethead did nothing for me though.  Not only did they look like fucking freaks with an image that just didn't fit the band, but I saw them live and Finck was terrible. Buckethead was a joke doing a Nun chuck solo and handing out Toys. I was supposedly at a Gn'R show but it felt more like the twilight zone. I tried to like Buckethead and bought one of his CD's and it still haunts me too this day. It comes up on my shuffle constantly and I can't skip it fast enough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It was his fake persona and his inabilities that pissed most people off. He didn't fit the band whatsoever, image or sound wise. CD has a few great songs, yes, but it had nothing to do with Ashba. He even got Axl onto that Ashbaswag crap which was just the worst thing ever. 

I'm so happy to see Slash and Duff back, I had completely given up on GUNS after 2006-2007 until 2016.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgnr said:

This pic just seems so right...Definitely dope and even more lit :P 

Now it makes sense why Babymetal was the opener. Melissa wanted her former band to receive some spotlight. :lol:

• Like 2

On 1/28/2017 at 7:05 AM, Tom-Ass said:

Like I said I wasn't following Gn'R when Ashba was in the band.  I just saw a few songs on TV and he never jumped out as terrible during that small sample. 

Finck and Buckethead did nothing for me though.  Not only did they look like fucking freaks with an image that just didn't fit the band, but I saw them live and Finck was terrible. Buckethead was a joke doing a Nun chuck solo and handing out Toys. I was supposedly at a Gn'R show but it felt more like the twilight zone. I tried to like Buckethead and bought one of his CD's and it still haunts me too this day. It comes up on my shuffle constantly and I can't skip it fast enough.

Which CD did you buy?

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Giant Robot

Have you ever been into instrumental and avante-garde musicians? You have to be into that genre to really appreciate it. The majority of people who never accepted Bucket as one of GNR's lead guitarist also would never sit through a Paul Gilbert, Malmsteen or Joe Satriani instrumental album. 

When I first bought those albums I thought it was strange at first but not for long. 5mins in I was blown away by his speed and the emotion in his playing. That's what separates him from those other million of avant-garde speedsters who play with little emotion only technical proficiency. 

Then seeing him live for the first time sealed the deal for me. The experience is incredible and surreal. Just the size of his hands alone and the massive reach and command of all the frets on the guitar. The even had a custom built Les Paul made during his guns stint which he still uses today. Most people don't listen to instrument albums never mind going to one of their shows to see in live. I gotta tell you however, the experience of dozen or more Bucket shows I've been to ranks right up their with the best shows I've ever seen. I've meet a lot of forum members over the years who share the same views and admiration for his music as I do. Just gotta give him a chance and be open minded about it. Let go of the hatred of being the one who replaced Slash. Can't blame him for taking the job. It wasn't his fault. What sucks is that all the superb talent Axl systematically left as Axl was busy adding different flutes made of different exotic materials from different parts of the worldand tinkering with finished songs.

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Have you ever been into instrumental and avante-garde musicians? You have to be into that genre to really appreciate it. The majority of people who never accepted Bucket as one of GNR's lead guitarist also would never sit through a Paul Gilbert, Malmsteen or Joe Satriani instrumental album. 

When I first bought those albums I thought it was strange at first but not for long. 5mins in I was blown away by his speed and the emotion in his playing. That's what separates him from those other million of avant-garde speedsters who play with little emotion only technical proficiency. 

Then seeing him live for the first time sealed the deal for me. The experience is incredible and surreal. Just the size of his hands alone and the massive reach and command of all the frets on the guitar. The even had a custom built Les Paul made during his guns stint which he still uses today. Most people don't listen to instrument albums never mind going to one of their shows to see in live. I gotta tell you however, the experience of dozen or more Bucket shows I've been to ranks right up their with the best shows I've ever seen. I've meet a lot of forum members over the years who share the same views and admiration for his music as I do. Just gotta give him a chance and be open minded about it. Let go of the hatred of being the one who replaced Slash. Can't blame him for taking the job. It wasn't his fault. What sucks is that all the superb talent Axl systematically left as Axl was busy adding different flutes made of different exotic materials from different parts of the worldand tinkering with finished songs.

I don't deny the guy has talent but his style just isn't my thing. You're right I wouldn't sit through a Satriani or Malmsteen album either. Never been a huge fan of shredders. Then all the corny chicken references and stuff on top of it and it just makes it worse. I do like the Star Wars theme though. Anyway the guy is a great guitarist but just not my thing and wasn't a fit for Gn'R..

And I did give him a chance. I was totally into NuGuns at the beginning. Saw them live. Gave them all a chance. I even bought some Josh Freese CD...

• Like 2

I kinda laugh at Bucketheads really weird, fucked up music, but the thing about him is he doesn't have a "style", at least not in the traditional sense. He literally plays all styles of guitar, he also genuinely has some straight up excellent slower ballads, as well as all-out "rock" songs too that shy away from anything considered avant-garde, or even shredding.

Check out the album Hold Me Forever, as well as the song The Landing Beacon which he wrote for Michael Jackson when he died. Not to be that guy that tries vehemently to sway a stranger's opinion over the internet haha but stuff like that genuinely deserves a listen if you're in to guitar music at all. 

He's very diverse in that sense and I guess it's a wee pet peeve of mine when he gets pigeon-holed in to being a boring shredder, which is unfortunately somewhat a fair assumption based on certain albums. Apologies for off topic!

10 hours ago, dgnr said:

This pic just seems so right...Definitely dope and even more lit :P 

Super super rad! :rofl-lol:

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

The Rockin Jellybean guy did the character design for that animated Velvet Revolver video from over ten years ago.

Here is a review of his artbook.  

http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/art/the-birth-of-rockin-jelly-bean-art-book-review/

You can see Weiland in this pic:

rockjelly12.jpg?resize=750%2C500

Thats cool!

Scott :cry: