KICKASS VIDEOS From 2009 Seoul show

stone

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashba can certainly play Slash's stuff, no problem. But then again, so can about a million guitarists in the world. Just have a look on You Tube. As a guitarist myself, and somebody who was at the Seoul concert, I can tell you quite clearly that Ashba is a more textbook guitarist than Slash. If they both had a piece of music to learn, I am sure Ashba would easily nail it before Slash. Slash is a very loose player sometimes, and live he can miss quite a lot of notes.

But this is not the point. Its not so much about how you play actually, but more about the riffs and melodies that you can create. Replaying someone elses music is infinitely easier than writing it from scratch as Slash did. Some of the technically best guitarists in the world, have never even played on a stage. The reason being, they are literally just 'tab players' who can only copy other people's music. Ashba plays each of Slash's solos note for note, he doesn't add anything different. The same does not apply to Fortus or Bumble, who have both added their own style to the music. The fact that Ashba faithfully follows Slash's sound is a good thing, I enjoyed the concert even more. You cannot improve on perfection. I didn't like it when Finck used to mess around with the solo's, it just did not seem right. For the new music, the guys can do what they like with it, as it is theirs. But they should play the old stuff as it was meant to be. As a live show, I hope Fortus and Bumble can follow the original sound more, but I guess they are both creative artists, so its just not possible.

So in a nutshell, Ashba is a great guitarist, and suits the band. But the fact remains, that he only sounds great as he is playing Slash's music. Having heard Ashba's own style with Sixx AM, I think his sound is far too basic for GNR. But as a touring guitarist playing other peoples music, he is perfect.

You may have a point but your argumentation has many flaws

- Ashba played two shows with Guns N' Roses comapred to Bumble who is in the band 3 years and Fortus who is even longer. He won't add his style at once to that solos, riffs etc so calling him only a good reflection of Slash is inmature after two shows.

- Sixx AM is not that great indication because Nikki Sixx has the final word considering music and Nikki Sixx bands weren't solo heavy. Having listen to Sixx A.M and Beautiful Creatures work I think Ashba is technically much more advanced than Slash. He can tap, play fast , play slow, good melodies etc. He had some awesome licks live during Sixx A.M tour with Cruefest.

- I don't agree that playing Slash solos note for note is that good, Buckethead was monster on guitar when playing old Guns stuff he just made those songs his own and his solos were so refreshing and real wow factor ( Nightrain, KOHD, November Rain, It's So Easy). That's why it is live show to hear someting different.

Easy there guys. Step back for a second and think about what some of you are saying.

Is this performance the best SCOM we've seen from the Nu Gnr??? ABSOLUTELY

Is this better than the old GNR 87-93?? NOPE.

A very good performance, just not as good as old guns, and I don't expect it to be. This is a cool band that I would go see if given the chance. That is all I can ask for at this point since there will never be a reunion.

Ashba can certainly play Slash's stuff, no problem. But then again, so can about a million guitarists in the world. Just have a look on You Tube. As a guitarist myself, and somebody who was at the Seoul concert, I can tell you quite clearly that Ashba is a more textbook guitarist than Slash. If they both had a piece of music to learn, I am sure Ashba would easily nail it before Slash. Slash is a very loose player sometimes, and live he can miss quite a lot of notes.

But this is not the point. Its not so much about how you play actually, but more about the riffs and melodies that you can create. Replaying someone elses music is infinitely easier than writing it from scratch as Slash did. Some of the technically best guitarists in the world, have never even played on a stage. The reason being, they are literally just 'tab players' who can only copy other people's music. Ashba plays each of Slash's solos note for note, he doesn't add anything different. The same does not apply to Fortus or Bumble, who have both added their own style to the music. The fact that Ashba faithfully follows Slash's sound is a good thing, I enjoyed the concert even more. You cannot improve on perfection. I didn't like it when Finck used to mess around with the solo's, it just did not seem right. For the new music, the guys can do what they like with it, as it is theirs. But they should play the old stuff as it was meant to be. As a live show, I hope Fortus and Bumble can follow the original sound more, but I guess they are both creative artists, so its just not possible.

So in a nutshell, Ashba is a great guitarist, and suits the band. But the fact remains, that he only sounds great as he is playing Slash's music. Having heard Ashba's own style with Sixx AM, I think his sound is far too basic for GNR. But as a touring guitarist playing other peoples music, he is perfect.

- Ashba played two shows with Guns N' Roses comapred to Bumble who is in the band 3 years and Fortus who is even longer. He won't add his style at once to that solos, riffs etc so calling him only a good reflection of Slash is inmature after two shows.

- Sixx AM is not that great indication because Nikki Sixx has the final word considering music and Nikki Sixx bands weren't solo heavy. Having listen to Sixx A.M and Beautiful Creatures work I think Ashba is technically much more advanced than Slash. He can tap, play fast , play slow, good melodies etc. He had some awesome licks live during Sixx A.M tour with Cruefest.

- I don't agree that playing Slash solos note for note is that good, Buckethead was monster on guitar when playing old Guns stuff he just made those songs his own and his solos were so refreshing and real wow factor ( Nightrain, KOHD, November Rain, It's So Easy). That's why it is live show to hear someting different.

I totally disagree. People go to these shows to listen to the great Gnr hits. They want to hear them the way they were written. I don't want to go to these shows and listen to some guy butcher classic riffs with their own experimentation. AShba is doing just fine playing these songs note for note. If they want to change things to the new songs that is fine, but don't mess with the classics.

I like the clips I have heard thus far. I wish the band would play KOHD the way it was played at the ritz. I do like that this version is closer to UYI. I hated the 2002 version.

Axl is slowly going back to the old ways. That is a good thing. NOW PLEASE PLAY ESTRANGED LOL

I totally disagree. People go to these shows to listen to the great Gnr hits. They want to hear them the way they were written. I don't want to go to these shows and listen to some guy butcher classic riffs with their own experimentation. AShba is doing just fine playing these songs note for note. If they want to change things to the new songs that is fine, but don't mess with the classics.

gotta agree with that, the band sounds much better with DJ nailing the original solos, than Robin flubbing through them his own way...

I guess its about personal taste in the end, I simply prefer Slash's playing style. I agree, that Buckethead and Ashba are techincally superior. But in terms of style, I will always prefer the bluesy style of guitar as opposed to tapping and the heavier style of lead guitar. For me, the old songs are already perfect. And thats how I like to hear it, note for note.

DJ Ashba has some wonderful stuff out there, all his own, not Slash's or Nikki Sixx's. He is a talented guitar player. He can also write and has a lot of other things going on that are away from Sixx AM or Guns N' Roses. I am thrilled that he has added Guns to his list of credits and I hope he stays for a good, long while. But, make no mistake, he is great in his own right and will bring much more spice to his performances as time goes one. Check out Motley Crue's SOLA album, which he co-wrote and played on and www.ashbaland.com for other "projects".

DJ Ashba has some wonderful stuff out there, all his own, not Slash's or Nikki Sixx's. He is a talented guitar player. He can also write and has a lot of other things going on that are away from Sixx AM or Guns N' Roses. I am thrilled that he has added Guns to his list of credits and I hope he stays for a good, long while. But, make no mistake, he is great in his own right and will bring much more spice to his performances as time goes one. Check out Motley Crue's SOLA album, which he co-wrote and played on and www.ashbaland.com for other "projects".

and what does SOLA stand for? I have most of the Mötley albums but none of them can spell out SOLA =/

How come there's so much praise for Ashba nailing one of the easiest solos in a guns song? Bumblefoot is the one doing the hard part of this song

I am glad you made this point. During the concert, it was so clear to me that Ron stepped in for anything that was highly demanding. He is without doubt techincally the best guitarist currently, followed by Fortus, and then Ashba in my opinion.

How come there's so much praise for Ashba nailing one of the easiest solos in a guns song? Bumblefoot is the one doing the hard part of this song

Don't worry everyone's praising Bumblefoot as well but Ashba's the new guy hehe. And not only did he nail SCOM, he nailed every other solo PERFECTLY. Sure Bumble steps in when things get very speedy, but there's something about Ashba's style that I just love. He's playing so... right. The man is really blowing me away, can't wait to see him live.

And yeah Axl has eyeliner haha, I know cos I use it sometime.