The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

Mastodon is one of my favourites. Their two newer albums, The Hunter and Once More 'Round The Sun, are a bit more accessible but still really good. Remission and Leviathan are their more "crushing" albums and have some serious aggression to them. So if you like that kind of sound, then I'd go with one of those to start. But I would have to say their most complete album is Crack The Skye. It was my first Mastodon album and it really got me into them fairly quickly. Blood Mountain kind of bridges the two sides of their sound together, so it's a bit of a different experience, but it's good too.

They all have really interesting guitar interplay and a variety of vocals. So it's never boring, really. I'd say go with Crack The Skye first and see how you like it.

Mastodon are one fucking unique experience that's all I'll say.

I started off with Blood Mountain but that was before their proggy masterpiece Crack The Skye and more streamlined, straight to the point endeavors in the last two records, absolutely anything except the first record cause that's just one raw ass chaotic piece of intrigue.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2015 at 9:15 AM, RandallFlagg said:

Mastodon are one fucking unique experience that's all I'll say.

I started off with Blood Mountain but that was before their proggy masterpiece Crack The Skye and more streamlined, straight to the point endeavors in the last two records, absolutely anything except the first record cause that's just one raw ass chaotic piece of intrigue.

Amazing band, Blood Mountain and Leviathan are my faves. For some reason i still call them my '' favourite new metal band " when they've been around for years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2016 at 5:24 AM, Silverburst80 said:

Amazing band, Blood Mountain and Leviathan are my faves. For some reason i still call them my '' favourite new metal band " when they've been around for years.

Blood Mountain is deranged, the growth they have from record to record is always a delight to unravel, I like that they went back to their frenetic kind of music after CTS which I thought was 10/10, I'm still digesting once more round the sun, it's a better record than The Hunter for me but I can forgive that as a transition kinda record, a very good one but definitely not as strong as Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye.

On 4/10/2016 at 11:45 AM, CheapJon said:

Anyone heard Tribulation? They opened for Ghost when I saw them and played maybe the loudest gig I've ever heard. 

I saw them open for Ghost too....

but wasn't a big fan, they kinda have a 70's glam look (New York Dolls)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The only song I don't really care for is the closing instrumental. Everything else is great, my favorites are probably Magma and The Cell :headbang:

I actually like that instrumental, but I don't think it works as a closing track.

• 1 month later...

:lol:

Slayer Frontman Tom Araya Calls Out Fan for Spitting on Him: “What Was That About?”

Araya was enjoying himself chatting up the crowd when the incident occurred, as seen about 1:45 into the video clip. “Hey,” Araya says, reacting to the fan offscreen, “what was that about?”

The scene quickly turns ugly, as Araya repeatedly asks the fan to explain himself and the crowd begins to boo.

“I tell you, ‘Thank you for coming here,’ and that’s what you fucking do?” the bassist asks. “What the fuck’s that about?’

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2016 at 10:58 PM, Zeppelin said:

Has anyone checked out the new Sodom album yet? It honestly sounds like it was recorded in 1990 lol.

i just got it today, haven't been able to give it a complete spin, but from hopping around the tracks it seems pretty decent.

8 hours ago, bran said:

i just got it today, haven't been able to give it a complete spin, but from hopping around the tracks it seems pretty decent.

From what I've heard, it's pretty damn good. The production just reminds me of their older albums, with a bit of a modern touch. It's a nice departure from Epitome of Torture and In War and Pieces as they were starting to sound the same.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Majestic Beast said:

In flames are done,no hope for good album,they don't even sound metal or hard n  heavy.

the new track "the end" was decent until that chorus, that chorus is just bad. i have found a new respect for come clarity of late but i still miss the old sound of the jester race and colony.

On 2016-09-05 at 6:20 AM, Majestic Beast said:

In flames are done,no hope for good album,they don't even sound metal or hard n  heavy.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new In Flames stuff. Sounds Of A Playground Fading doesn't sound like the old stuff but it's easily their best album since Clayman, IMO. I'm hoping they continue their decade-long trend of good album (Come Clarity) / shitty album (A Sense of Purpose) / good album (Sounds of a Playground Fading) / shitty album (Siren Charms) / good album (Battles?)

edit: the pre-release songs are a bit underwhelming (the choruses mostly) but that's been the case for the last few albums. Hopefully there's at least a couple good ones on the album.

Edited by Gordon Comstock