The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

I'll give them a listen tomorrow. I'm listening to Possessed's Seven Churches album right now. It's pretty much the perfect gateway into Death Metal since it's like the most natural progression from Thrash Metal to Death Metal imagineable. The vocals aren't very harsh, though. He actually kinda has a Lemmy-type voice to him. Great album, regardless.

Nothing makes a drunken evening better than Pantera. Anyone who hasn't gotten absolutely smashed to Pantera's Home Videos isn't really metal.

I was going to argue Lightning Bolt's opinion of Pantera into great length (not really), until I noticed he referred to Motley Crue as explicitly Heavy Metal. I can understand just clumping them into the genre, but citing them as a specific example? :shocked:

I was going to argue Lightning Bolt's opinion of Pantera into great length (not really), until I noticed he referred to Motley Crue as explicitly Heavy Metal. I can understand just clumping them into the genre, but citing them as a specific example? :shocked:

You misunderstood my point. Glam Metal is often considered on the border of Metal and Rock. Heavy Metal is an umbrella term and a sub-genre of its own, if that makes sense (at least I use it this way), where all metal bands are Heavy Metal bands, but if you wanna go into more specifics, bands like Iron Maiden would be Heavy Metal whereas a band like Helloween would be Power Metal (Speed Metal earlier on). Rock is kinda jused the same way. Rock is an umbrella term. Guns n' Roses is a rock band, but if you were to get more specific you'd call them a Hard Rock band. If you were to get more specific with a band like Foreigner, you'd probably still consider them Rock (at least I do). So I was saying Motley Crue is under the umbrella of Metal, but I wouldn't call them a Heavy Metal band. The stuff I listen to I label as Glam Metal and I couldn't care less about everything after that. I usually just say Metal as the umbrella term and Heavy Metal when I'm getting more specific, but I guess I didn't in the post you were referencing (back on page 3 or something).

I have to give a listen to the new Pain of Salvation album that came out a while ago. I heard they took a more rock-oriented approach to the album. And I still have to try out the two Avantasia albums.

New PoS was really weird. And The Wicked Symphony was totally amazing, Angel of Babylon was ehhhh.

what do you guys think about Meshuggah?

Pretty cool, a little too progressive for me.

Does anyone know of any metal bands that blend clean vocals and death vocals together, with some sense of melody? I already like bands like In Flames, Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, etc, but I'm growing tired of them, and wouldn't mind finding some new bands that were just as good.

Does anyone know of any metal bands that blend clean vocals and death vocals together, with some sense of melody? I already like bands like In Flames, Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, etc, but I'm growing tired of them, and wouldn't mind finding some new bands that were just as good.

The first band you should be getting into if you like that vocal duality is Opeth. Go pick up Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park ASAP.

Theres a band called The Ocean thats very proggy but are also damn good.

Killswitch Engage and All That Remains if you can deal with the metal core.

The first band you should be getting into if you like that vocal duality is Opeth. Go pick up Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park ASAP.

I'm already a big Opeth fan, but ATR and Killswitch are a little too generic-sounding to me. I'll check out The Ocean, though.

Yeah, I was gonna say All That Remains if you're into that kinda stuff. The Fall of Ideals is a pretty cool album.

A band that P.A. Guns talked before called Amorphis does it, too, sometimes. If the metal-archives are reliable (they usually are), then Eclipse looks like the album to get. I've heard some of their stuff from scattered albums and they're really good.

I'm already a big Opeth fan, but ATR and Killswitch are a little too generic-sounding to me. I'll check out The Ocean, though.

Just listened to the new album by Katatonia and I think its exactly what youre looking for. Give it a shot its called Night of the New Day

what do you guys think about Meshuggah?

I haven't really given them a chance. I've only been getting into Extreme stuff semi-recently, and Meshuggah always came off as quite extreme. I'm getting into some of the more accessible extreme bands. Meshuggah's pretty popular, though, so maybe I could get into them. Do they have a more accessible album?

From a technical standpoint Meshuggah is amazing. Crazy time signatures and the way they interweave melodies is amazing. But from a listenability standpoint they can be very brutal. If you can appreciate technical stuff then youll have an easier time liking meshuggah. I love Catch 33, Obzen and Chaosphere but dont listen to them often. Great live show too

yeah same here. at first i really wasn't into the whole odd time thing, i thought it sounded too "robotyish" if that makes any sense, but it really opens up a whole other dimension that isn't there with bands who like to stick to simple meters. And the delivery of the vocals just tops it off, it can almost be compared to the flow of a rapper in a way

fuckin LOVE that song, especially around 2:20. its not hard to hear why it would turn some people off, but i dunno, i sure as hell dig it

EDIT: SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO EMBED VIDEOS GODDAMNIT

Edited by sweetness

Put &feature_embedded at the end of the URL.

Yeah, I was gonna say All That Remains if you're into that kinda stuff. The Fall of Ideals is a pretty cool album.

A band that P.A. Guns talked before called Amorphis does it, too, sometimes. If the metal-archives are reliable (they usually are), then Eclipse looks like the album to get. I've heard some of their stuff from scattered albums and they're really good.

Bahahahahaha I love this band. Eclipse is a really good album. Other ones would also be Skyforger, Tales from the Thousand Lakes, Elegy, hell, I just recommend them all. Some songs with the clean/growl mixed vocals are:

Majestic Beast:

Weeper on the Shore:

Into Hiding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf4oCrIUixY

The Smoke:

They've had several different vocalists, so their style is quite quite varied

Other bands I can think of that do vocals like this are Omnium Gatherum (

), Insomnium (this band is amazing, check out a lot of their stuff, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfbBcbpWt9k ), Raintime (
), I could go on and on about bands like this...

• 5 months later...

Thought Id bring this back. So a big year for metal no doubt. My favorite metal records of the year include:

Kylesa- Spiral Shadow. 2 drummers plus male/female duel vocals and a creepy Sabbathian groove. Good stuff

Agalloch- Morrow of the Spirit. Im normally not a black metal guy but the music on this record is too good to overlook.

Nachmystium- Addicts pt. 2. Catchy black metal if there is such a thing

Dawnbringer- Nucleus. As much rock and roll as it is metal

The Damned Things- Ironiclast. Catchy as hell, but heavy in the same respect.

Kvelertak- self titled Gritty harsh vocals, but the grooves get stuck in your head

Daath- selt titled. So heavy and the guitar work is stellar. Oddly enough the lyrics are steeped in Kaballah Mysticism

Intronaut- Valley of Smoke. So proggy, but some of the best bass work I think Ive ever heard

High On Fire- Snakes of the Divine. almost forgot this one. High on Fire just knows how to kick ass, plain and simple

So has anyone else heard any of these records and what are your favorites this year?

Edited by bt88

I've been listening to almost nothing but Anthrax lately. They're just SUCH a good band. I think I've listened to Spreading The Disease at least once a day for the past 3 weeks or so. I also finally gave the Bush albums a shot. Sound Of White Noise isn't bad, but it's not classic by any means, the rest are crap IMO.

I've been listening to almost nothing but Anthrax lately. They're just SUCH a good band. I think I've listened to Spreading The Disease at least once a day for the past 3 weeks or so. I also finally gave the Bush albums a shot. Sound Of White Noise isn't bad, but it's not classic by any means, the rest are crap IMO.

Whats a good intro to Anthrax album? Ive only heard a few songs by them

My issue with them is the vocals usually. I hate that shout style and the only band Ill make an exception for is Slayer because their music is so powerful.

My issue with them is the vocals usually. I hate that shout style and the only band Ill make an exception for is Slayer because their music is so powerful.

Start with either Spreading The Disease or Among The Living. ATL is the heavier of the 2, but both are plenty melodic. I don't really know what you mean about the shouting, Joey is a really melodic singer (Easily the best of the Big Four), and the only "shouting" times are some of the bro-chant backing vocals, like Caught In A Mosh, Medusa, Efilnikufesin, etc.

But definitely start with Spreading The Disease or Among The Living. If you like those, check out State Of Euphoria and Persistence Of Time. Fistful Of Metal and Sound Of White Noise are worth giving a shot, but both are very different to the Joey albums. The rest I'd stay away from, unless you REALLY dig John Bush on SOWN.

Start with either Spreading The Disease or Among The Living. ATL is the heavier of the 2, but both are plenty melodic. I don't really know what you mean about the shouting, Joey is a really melodic singer (Easily the best of the Big Four), and the only "shouting" times are some of the bro-chant backing vocals, like Caught In A Mosh, Medusa, Efilnikufesin, etc.

But definitely start with Spreading The Disease or Among The Living. If you like those, check out State Of Euphoria and Persistence Of Time. Fistful Of Metal and Sound Of White Noise are worth giving a shot, but both are very different to the Joey albums. The rest I'd stay away from, unless you REALLY dig John Bush on SOWN.

Yea the only songs im really familiar with are Caught In A Mosh and Madhouse. So I could use an Anthrax education. Im a huge metal guy but never got into them. Criminal. Thanks for the tips