The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

High on Fire's new song shreds: http://www.metalinjection.net/av/high-on-fires-new-track-the-black-plot-delivers-in-the-way-only-high-on-fire-know-how-to-deliver

Good to see sobering up hasn't slowed Matt Pike's fire at all. Looking forward to more HoF!

And apparently Sleep may release a new album. Just saw Sleep in denver a few weeks ago. Damn good show, but you need to be in the right mood for Sleep. (Mood = baked)

Can't imagine what it's like to see Dopesmoker live. I mean... If you're not really really stoned, you're doomed :D
  • Like 1

High on Fire's new song shreds: http://www.metalinjection.net/av/high-on-fires-new-track-the-black-plot-delivers-in-the-way-only-high-on-fire-know-how-to-deliver

Good to see sobering up hasn't slowed Matt Pike's fire at all. Looking forward to more HoF!

And apparently Sleep may release a new album. Just saw Sleep in denver a few weeks ago. Damn good show, but you need to be in the right mood for Sleep. (Mood = baked)

Can't imagine what it's like to see Dopesmoker live. I mean... If you're not really really stoned, you're doomed :D

Hah. Well played. I mean it was Denver so it wasn't hard to make that happen haha.

• Like 1

Cradle of Filth's new album comes out July 17 and they just released the first song from it, 'Right Wing of the Garden Triptych'. To be honest my interest in COF died after the last album they put out, I liked DDVA but otherwise the last few albums have sucked. However, this song was surprisingly good. My interest in the new album has been renewed.

better than i thought it was going to be.

Hah. Well played. I mean it was Denver so it wasn't hard to make that happen haha.

Hope I get the chance to catch 'em live too!

bruce dickinson has been pronounced cancer free by his doctors. awesome news and hopefully he comes back stronger than ever. also seems the new maiden album will release this year

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

Where are the Baroness/Kylesa/Red Fang/The Sword, etc. fans around here? I dont know what that subgenre would be? Riff metal? I dont know. Anyway, the guitarist from baroness has a side band called Valkyrie and their new album just came out. The vocals are a little basic, but there are riffs for days. The guitar work on this album is excellent. it's not necessarily new territory but they command and control very well. They're like a baseball picther who may not get 10 Ks in a game but will go 8 innings strong with no walks

Edited by bt88

Where are the Baroness/Kylesa/Red Fang/The Sword, etc. fans around here? I dont know what that subgenre would be? Riff metal? I dont know. Anyway, the guitarist from baroness has a side band called Valkyrie and their new album just came out. The vocals are a little basic, but there are riffs for days. The guitar work on this album is excellent. it's not necessarily new territory but they command and control very well. They're like a baseball picther who may not get 10 Ks in a game but will go 8 innings strong with no walks

i like the sword and baroness. its really hard to pinpoint what baroness is but they are awesome no doubt :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Baroness kinda went a little alt rock last album buy still kept it heavy. Baroness are incredible live too. They have an incredibly thick sound.

The Sword haven't made a bad album in my eyes

Eh, a lot of The Sword is uninteresting to me, especially the doomy stuff.

Also:

I'd say I'm a casual Baroness fan. Been meaning to check out more of their albums for some time now. Red Fang as well. Don't like the vocalist of The Sword so that's a dead end since vocals is essential. You guys should give Orchid a chance, very Sabbathy, great riffs.

The sort of metal Omar Bradley just posted is awful imo

I'd say I'm a casual Baroness fan. Been meaning to check out more of their albums for some time now. Red Fang as well. Don't like the vocalist of The Sword so that's a dead end since vocals is essential. You guys should give Orchid a chance, very Sabbathy, great riffs.

The sort of metal Omar Bradley just posted is awful imo

lol, modern heavy metal/power metal? Perhaps one of the most center general types of metal there is........

why lol? Yes power metal is awful in my opinion. Perhaps one of the most center general types of metal there is........... is that so, then so what?

I don't even know what that means but it seems to be important to you, I guess? Good for you.

Edited by CheapJon

why lol? Yes power metal is awful in my opinion. Perhaps one of the most center general types of metal there is........... is that so, then so what?

I don't even know what that means but it seems to be important to you, I guess? Good for you.

It means that most people who enjoy "metal" can find something they identify with in the style. As you get further from the center, you start to alienate more and more listeners. You don't have to like the style, but it certainly isn't "awful."

EDIT: Part of why I don't think it should be considered awful, is because the level of musicianship/craft is very high - it deserves respect even if disliked.

Edited by OmarBradley

yeah i like power metal there is a billion different bands that play a billion different styles of it, i think there is always something out there for everybody. its a subgenre where i have my absolute favorites where i could listen to them daily but a lot of it from different bands and styles i have to listen to when im in the mood for it.

also going to see blind guardian and grave digger on halloween night ;)

fuck yes, new ahab album coming out on august 28 "the boats of glen carrig"

11334047_10153079950668451_8622311548363

01. "The Isle"
02. "The Thing That Made Search"
03. "Like Red Foam (The Storm)"
04. "The Weedmen"
05. "To Mourn Job"
06. "The Light in the Weed (Mary Madison)" (bonus)
Edited by bran

It means that most people who enjoy "metal" can find something they identify with in the style. As you get further from the center, you start to alienate more and more listeners. You don't have to like the style, but it certainly isn't "awful."

EDIT: Part of why I don't think it should be considered awful, is because the level of musicianship/craft is very high - it deserves respect even if disliked.

I just can't relate to it on any level. I don't feel anything when I try to listen to it other than feeling like changing the music instantly.

New Ghost song is a bit of a grower for me, didn't like it when I first heard it this morning. IIRC I had the same feeling hearing Secular Haze for the first time when that was released.

I'm thinking about Amon Amarth. What album should I start with? Do they differ much? Best album?

They do not differ much at all honestly. I would do Twilight of the Thunder God first personally.

Any Lamb of God fans here? new track Still Echoes is definitely cool. LoG certainly dont change much album to album, but man when you are in the mood they are still awesome. The lyrics on the new album should be very interesting given Randy's whole ordeal in the Czech Republic

Edited by bt88