The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

Kill em All, greatest metal album ever, just listen to four horsemen, nuff said

If I have to listen to Metallica, I listen to Ride the Lightning. Great album right there.

Im an "And Justice for All" man through and through.

Speaking of classic albums, anyone else going to this Megadeth/Testament tour? Megadeth is playing "Rust In Peace" all the way through and Testament is doing the same with "The Legacy". Thats gonna be wild, I cant wait.

>implying metal is music

I kid, I kid. But honestly, I just don't get what people see in metal. Shit like DragonForce and Iron Maiden just doesn't do it for me.

Dragonforce, imo, sucks...

Nothing original going on there. There are way better power metal bands...

My favorite metal band is Poison.

that's not metal...

I think Dragonforce gets a bad rep just for being one of the more popular bands of the genre. Sure, it doesn't help that Herman Li can't play his parts and the music is sped up in the studio, but if you take the music for what it is, I think it's pretty standard Power Metal. Not something I'd go out of my way to listen to, but I don't think it's revolting like some do.

There's tons of bands that are at that inbetween point and are constantly argued back and forth. Take the entire Hair Metal genre. Some bands are understood to be heavy metal (Motley Crue), and some are understood to be more hard-rockish (Poison, White Lion), but many are argued both ways (Ratt, Keel). And a lot of 70's bands are argued. UFO, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and others are argued to be Metal, or at least Metal at one point or another.

To be honest Sunny it is very difficult because Metal is an umbrella genre with so many different subgenres and parts of it.

For me stuff like Led Zep, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Bowie and Springsteen whereas Metal is stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and System of a Down. However the sub genres of both are so large.

Rock Artists

Metal

Anyone else into Ihsahn? its the singer from Emperor. His solo stuff doesnt have the Emperor sound pretty much at all. Its a mix of a lot of elements of metal but it has its slowed down, emotional side too. The new disc "After" is really good and after one spin I said "well im gonna have to listen to this at least 3 more times to even wrap my head around it." Definitely worth a listen.

Heres "Frozen lakes on mars"

I love NWOBHM. I really think it's Heavy Metal's greatest point in time, the late 70's/early 80's. Such great bands around like Angel Witch, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Diamond Head, Cloven Hoof, early Def Leppard, Witchfinder General, Saxon, Grim Reaper, Tygers of Pan Tang, and Tank. I can throw on a random song from any of these bands and 99 times out of 100 it's great.

Anyone else into Ihsahn? its the singer from Emperor. His solo stuff doesnt have the Emperor sound pretty much at all. Its a mix of a lot of elements of metal but it has its slowed down, emotional side too. The new disc "After" is really good and after one spin I said "well im gonna have to listen to this at least 3 more times to even wrap my head around it." Definitely worth a listen.

Heres "Frozen lakes on mars"

Awsome stuff, i realy love the progressive parts.. and the way he mix in the saxophone is just mindblowing.

One of the most played albums for me these days. :)

There's tons of bands that are at that inbetween point and are constantly argued back and forth. Take the entire Hair Metal genre. Some bands are understood to be heavy metal (Motley Crue), and some are understood to be more hard-rockish (Poison, White Lion), but many are argued both ways (Ratt, Keel). And a lot of 70's bands are argued. UFO, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and others are argued to be Metal, or at least Metal at one point or another.

I saw Saint Vitus open for Black Flag in 1984.

They were considered metal,with a throwback sound to early Sabbath.

Which was interesting seeing as Sabbath were considered metal,but depending who you talk to,not so much now.

I thought Saint Vitus were cool...not amazing or anything,but they were into what they were doing and it came off as very sincere.

It was amazing seeing a bar full of drunk Flag fans getting into Vitus.

The gap was closing and the divide between hardcore and metal was minimal...which was fine by me.

I filmed Saint Vitus that night...here's one their songs that I filmed.

Look closely and you'll see Henry Rollins down front getting into their set.