The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

So, I recently got a couple promo cds as an extra in a deal i did for a COF shirt. Figured there might be some people on here who would like them more than I do. Theyre cool, but im not a big fan, so if anyone on here is, maybe we can work something out.

Anyway, heres what I got:

Exodus: "Shovel Headed Kill Machine" 4-Trk Promo

Cryptopsy: "Once Was Not" 2-Trk Sampler

Burst: "Origo" 9-Trk Promo

"Within The Church Of Thee Overlords II" Southern Lords Records Promo Compilation

Anyone interested lemme know

Edited by RickRoses

There's tons of bands that are at that inbetween point and are constantly argued back and forth. Take the entire Hair Metal genre. Some bands are understood to be heavy metal (Motley Crue), and some are understood to be more hard-rockish (Poison, White Lion), but many are argued both ways (Ratt, Keel). And a lot of 70's bands are argued. UFO, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and others are argued to be Metal, or at least Metal at one point or another.

I saw Saint Vitus open for Black Flag in 1984.

They were considered metal,with a throwback sound to early Sabbath.

Which was interesting seeing as Sabbath were considered metal,but depending who you talk to,not so much now.

I thought Saint Vitus were cool...not amazing or anything,but they were into what they were doing and it came off as very sincere.

It was amazing seeing a bar full of drunk Flag fans getting into Vitus.

The gap was closing and the divide between hardcore and metal was minimal...which was fine by me.

I filmed Saint Vitus that night...here's one their songs that I filmed.

Look closely and you'll see Henry Rollins down front getting into their set.

Sounds awesome! I'd love to see Saint Vitus live and they recently reunited a few years ago. Maybe I'll get my chance.

RickRoses, sounds pretty cool, though I'm not personally a huge fan of any of those bands, either.

Oh yeah, for those who care, the new Heathen album is pretty great! :thumbsup: They still sound great.

• 4 months later...

I've been listening to Paradise Lost's Icon album and it's absolutely fantastic!

@bt88: I gave a listen to Ihsahn's After a few days ago and it was great. I completey missed your post when you first posted that, which explains why I'm 6 months late to the party.

Anyways, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Nachtmystium, and Ihsahn albums were all great so far this year.

I have to give a listen to the new Pain of Salvation album that came out a while ago. I heard they took a more rock-oriented approach to the album. And I still have to try out the two Avantasia albums.

I've been listening to Paradise Lost's Icon album and it's absolutely fantastic!

@bt88: I gave a listen to Ihsahn's After a few days ago and it was great. I completey missed your post when you first posted that, which explains why I'm 6 months late to the party.

Anyways, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Nachtmystium, and Ihsahn albums were all great so far this year.

I have to give a listen to the new Pain of Salvation album that came out a while ago. I heard they took a more rock-oriented approach to the album. And I still have to try out the two Avantasia albums.

Yea theres been some good releases this year, some of em you had really look for though. Nachmystium is getting good critical praise but they still play clubs that are the size of peoples basements.

My current metal listens are that Kvelertak album that has its own thread on here and "Sound Awake" by Karnivool. Karnivool is big in Australia at the moment, they sound a lot like Undertow era Tool but with their own sound too. I recommend a listen.

Since this is the official METAL thread, its safe to say that MEGADETH are the masters of thrash metal.

KIMB & Peace Sells are masterpieces, legendary classics that will live on forever, MetallicA also had their moment.

I Dislike Pantera, For Me They Are One Of The Most Overrated Metal Bands, Dimebag is the Kurt Cobain of Metal, tbh If Is Wasnt For His Dead, He Wouldt Had Been What He Is Today.

R.I.P Anyway :heart:

I Dislike Pantera, For Me They Are One Of The Most Overrated Metal Bands, Dimebag is the Kurt Cobain of Metal, tbh If Is Wasnt For His Dead, He Wouldt Had Been What He Is Today.

you're an idiot, kurt cobain was a deppressive asshole who fucked over everybody and felt sorry for himself so he shot himself in the head

dimebag was the sweetest guy in the world according to the ones who knew him and was murdered on stage! dave mustaine even wanted him to play in megadeth

what's with the capital letters for each word? are you writing headlines or something?

They had their moment, Power Metal and Cowboys are great.

Yeah, these are the only albums I really like from Pantera.

listened to PM once, didn't care for it, i'll check it out if i ever tire of the later records

I am fucking shocked that we're in a metal thread and there is genuine dislike/disinterest for Pantera. If Power Metal is the only album you've heard from them you need to drop what youre doing and find copies of Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven immediately.

Pantera maintained their sound through all the trends. Far Beyond Driven came out when grunge was at its peak and still hit #1 without the benefit of a radio single or MTV video. From Vulgar on they made consistently heavy and interesting music that always managed to somehow have a groove thanks to Vinnie Paul. Almost all modern metal guitarists will credit Dime with some level of influence. "Floods" from The Great Southern Trendkill was voted #15 on the list of top 100 guitar solos of all time, ahead of many of the more popular "greats."

Despite his douchey attitude Phil Anselmo will always have one of the most distinct and memorable voices in metal. Have you ever been at a show when the band covers "Walk"? The place goes nuts

So Im not saying you have to like Pantera but to deny their influence and importance is just flat out delusional.

Meh, I'm not denying their importance or influence as I know they played a huge part in creating Groove Metal, but I really dislike Groove Metal as a whole. I could never get into Phil's voice after Cowboys from Hell. His voice definitely seemed at peak during Power Metal and Cowboys from Hell. And I'm truly not a fan of Dimebag, I really dislike the tone he used and his solos. He was alright at writing riffs, but many of them were pretty standard.

what do you guys think about Meshuggah?

I haven't really given them a chance. I've only been getting into Extreme stuff semi-recently, and Meshuggah always came off as quite extreme. I'm getting into some of the more accessible extreme bands. Meshuggah's pretty popular, though, so maybe I could get into them. Do they have a more accessible album?

what do you guys think about Meshuggah?

I haven't really given them a chance. I've only been getting into Extreme stuff semi-recently, and Meshuggah always came off as quite extreme. I'm getting into some of the more accessible extreme bands. Meshuggah's pretty popular, though, so maybe I could get into them. Do they have a more accessible album?

From a technical standpoint Meshuggah is amazing. Crazy time signatures and the way they interweave melodies is amazing. But from a listenability standpoint they can be very brutal. If you can appreciate technical stuff then youll have an easier time liking meshuggah. I love Catch 33, Obzen and Chaosphere but dont listen to them often. Great live show too