Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New York City "Surprise Gig" Review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
253 replies to this topic

karlossacanell

karlossacanell

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts
  • 07-December 02

I did, I did.

Congrats man ... what a great story ...

There was a videographer taping the whole show (i was standing next to him for a while). Hopefully they will release this great show for all to see...

Something else I noticed. The mix from the soundboard was EFFIN PERFECT. Having seen GNR struggle with sound issues at some of the biggest venues, it was amazing to hear them the way god intended. Easily the best sounding GNR concert of my life....

That would be magical ... a big present for the fans ... release it for free in the Internet ...

Yes Sir ... Yes Sir ... Yes Sir ...

Origa

Origa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • 06-September 09
How were you able to go? I'm sort of confused because it seems like a ton a people who are on this forum seem to know the band or have met them before.
:D the world ends with you

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,269 posts
  • 12-December 08
I wish Varvatos would buy the building right now while the economy sucks, and revert it back to the way it was. Krystal was planning on creaing a new CBGBs in Vegas before he died, the infamous toilet stall is sitting in storage somewhere.

http://undercover.co...r_John_Varvatos

Stephanie78

Stephanie78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • 15-December 08

How were you able to go? I'm sort of confused because it seems like a ton a people who are on this forum seem to know the band or have met them before.

Yes, good question actually. I was just wondering the same.

Graeme

Graeme

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,859 posts
  • 22-August 05
Must see more video from this show!! Kaneda, you lucky bastard!!

6tpc.gif

GeorgeGlass

GeorgeGlass

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • 01-November 06
He does sound very good. Does this mean more regular touring and/or appearances? Really don't want to wait every three years for him to tour.
There were always ample warnings,There were always subtle signs,
And you would've seen it coming,But we gave you too much time

jazjme

jazjme

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • 31-October 02
ITs really not that difficult, I have met all the members at small clubs, in the city throughout the yrs, as far back as the orgional lineup.
Posted Image

Crowebar

Crowebar

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • 06-April 06

Really don't want to wait every three years for him to tour.

I second that motion.

axl_on_drums

axl_on_drums

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,797 posts
  • 24-October 08
Thanks for the review, can't believe you were there.

Posted Image

GunsNRevolvers2

GunsNRevolvers2

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • 13-January 10
So awesome man, get that video uploaded ASAP!
Axl's rant on Madison was fuckin' glorious
Posted Image

BMo13

BMo13

GOD

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts
  • 23-April 08

Thanks for the review, can't believe you were there.

They should just stream this show live on the website or somewhere linked to GNR's twitter,etc...

That would be cool and do quite a bit to renew some good will with the fans imo.
"So the lying crooks passed a health care plan written by a committee whose chairman says he didnít understand it, passed by a Congress that exempts themselves from it, signed by a president who still smokes after saying he quit, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didnít pay his taxes, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese,ÖÖ and better yet it is to be financed by a country thatís broke because of policies just like this...Fuck"

Ali

Ali

SUPER GOD

• SILVER
  • 3,588 posts
  • 04-November 04

All I can say is, "wow", what a concert. But tonight was far more than a concert. Let me walk you through the evening.

I get there at 10:30pm and the people at the front are saying, "we're filled to capacity, everyone go home..." I'm like fuck, Ron said meet at 11pm and we'd be fine. He tells me to go around back and I'm met by another security guard who won't let me pass. I had to grease that fucker $50 to get to the next security guard waiting by the back door. Luckily, someone I knew in the camp who knew the security guards showed up and we walked in. We walked into the downstairs sections of CBGB which was reserved for band members, friends and some celebs (saw Rachel Hunter and Kevin Bacon). While I was down there, I finally got to meet DJ Ashba, Frank and Sebastian Bach. Let me tell you, these are some of the nicest people going (that's what happens when you send cases of Dr Pepper their way, take notes people). But seriously, these are all down to earth, genuine people that are approachable and easy to talk to. Wonderful, wonderful folk.

At around 12:30, people started putting on their coats to go back around to the upstairs section. People were saying the band was on stage. When I walked through the doors, Mr. Brownstone was on in full force. There's something surreal about walking into CBGB and hearing GNR coming through the speakers and you look up and the band is on stage, playing live. It's magical when a huge stadium act like GNR take center stage inside such a small venue. The sound was amazing. Now I've seen Axl many times over the years, but I can honestly say, that tonight, he sounded just as good, if not better, than when I saw him in 1991. His range, his rasp, his power was all there and in full force. But you know what made tonight sooooo special? It was the rawness of the band. Ron was on an acoustic guitar all night and DJ on the Les Paul. This softer and simpler setup reminded me so much of Guns when they first got on the scene. WIthout the layers and layers of guitar, Axl's voice just comes right at you...that's why I fell in love with Guns N' Roses in the first place and it was magical hearing it for the first time on a cold night in 2010. I'll do my best to recapture the set list, but I was too busy jumping up and down to take proper notes. This is in no way the proper order, but use your imaginations....

Mr. Brownstone
Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
The Blues
Patience
Catcher in the Rye - this song shines with Ron on acoustic. Was even better than the album version tonight.
Rocket Queen
Sorry
My Michelle
Knocking on Heaven's Door
Whole Lotta Rosie
Paradise City

Encore:
Sweet Child o Mine
This I Love
Nightrain

I may have missed a song or two, but as you can tell, it was an amazing set list. But you know what impressed me the most? Axl put everything he had into each song. With only about 150 people in attendance, he sung like there were 150,000! What a professional. The only annoying thing was most of the crowd weren't die hard GNR fans (aka, they didn't sing along to the new songs), but that's too be expected in NYC...everyone's too cool for school here. But when Axl plays MSG, it will be all die hards for Jersey and Long Island singing each note with him...

And lastly, after all these years, I finally got to meet the man himself. Fernando and his sister were super cool and once I introduced myself (as the dr pepper bozo), they were so gracious and made sure I got a chance to meet Axl. He's just a really, really nice guy. We had a great little chat and that was that, the perfect end to a perfect evening.

In the end, after all these years, after all of the ups and downs, Guns N Roses has manifest itself into a great band filled with amazing people. When you get close, you realize, these aren't rockstars, they are just people that want to laugh, have a good time and enjoy life. I'm just glad I got to see them in such a special setting giving their all. You know, life is short, and I'm so happy my turn on this rock also includes a little band called Guns N' Fucking Roses! Thank you Ron, Frank, DJ, Axl, Fernando and the gang for an amazing night. You're the best...

CK (aka, Kaneda).

Kaneda, just out of curiosity, how has your opinion of Axl changed after meeting him and speaking to him, especially about the Dr. Pepper fiasco?

Ali

B F O G

B F O G

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • 27-February 09
What did you have to do with the Dr. Pepper fiasco.?
AXL COMES HOME - DECEMBER 8th 2011 @ Conseco Feildhouse, INDIANAPOLIS

Sweden_Loves_GnR

Sweden_Loves_GnR

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • 27-January 05
Sounds perfect! lucky a$$ !

and im also wondering what u had to do with the Dr.Pepper stuff.. ?
Posted Image

WhazUp

WhazUp

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,692 posts
  • 29-February 08
goddamn that is a once in a lifetime experience

aside from all of this forum bullshit going on, the music is what matters the most

im glad you had a great time :)