Tommy Stinson

YOUCOULDBEMINE.

Well, I didn't know where to put it but mods, feel free to move this if needed.

I absolutely love this guy, his stage presence, his energy, his playing, but most of all i like his voice.

so i finally decided to download 'Village Gorilla Head', and after hearing the whole album I must say that he impressed me even more

it's relaxing, and the guy can definitely sing. I absolutely loved his solo album

i never gave him a listen outside of guns, but i must say that his solo album was much better than i expected

anyone else ever gave it a listen? or can anyone recommend me some other stuff he did?

Edited by UcudBmineCD

I absolutely love this guy, his stage presence, his energy, his playing, but most of all i like his voice.

so i finally decided to download 'Village Gorilla Head', and after hearing the whole album I must say that he impressed me even more

it's relaxing, and the guy can definitely sing. I absolutely loved his solo album

i never gave him a listen outside of guns, but i must say that his solo album was much better than i expected

anyone else ever gave it a listen? or can anyone recommend me some other stuff he did?

That album is great, my favorite song on that cd is without a view.

If you can also find his hard to find bash and pop cd, i have heard that is also good

BTW GLOW, I am pretty sure Fortus plays on a few tracks on the GH album

Edited by gnr-dave

That album is great, my favorite song on that cd is without a view.

If you can also find his hard to find bash and pop cd, i have heard that is also good

BTW GLOW, I am pretty sure Fortus plays on a few tracks on the GH album

thanks, i'll be sure to give it a listen, but i'm off to bed now

goodnight

his presence in Axl's GNR is extremely underwhelming, I honestly cant recall any of his parts on Chinese Democracy. He's just buried under guitars and production, I see him more as a touring member than anything else

I think he has a lot to do with the arrangements of the songs.

his presence in Axl's GNR is extremely underwhelming, I honestly cant recall any of his parts on Chinese Democracy. He's just buried under guitars and production, I see him more as a touring member than anything else

Are you fucking kidding? His bass playing on Riad, Shacklers, Scraped, and IRS really set the tone of those songs. His bass is clearly audible in all of the songs, mostly in Riad though.

Tommy is Axl's rock in ths band I think and the latest tour footage proves that. During a performance on TWAT you can see Tommy helping Axl getting back in range. Also he and Axl seem to be the one's picking which songs on the playlist on stage. And other examples through the years prove he is much more than a touring member.

Edited by TheLionSpeaks

How could you listen to CITR or If The world and NOT hear the bass, that shit makes those songs complete. Like it or not I think Tommy can pretty much be classed as THE GNR member's GNR member. He's been there for years. songwriter, singer, pretty much the hub of the band's live performances, full of energy and attitude, not afraid to speak up. He's far more than a hired gun, and if you look at all the effort the man has put in since the dark days of the late nineties to call him that is both ignorant and insulting. Tommy Stinson, Guns N Roses legend.

I never said his bass wasn't audible at all, just that it wasn't very memorable. Now I haven't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while but whatever bass lines Tommy Stinson contributed never really stood out to me or I'd be able to say "yeah i really like when he _____ on ______." :shrugs:

just sayin

How could you listen to CITR or If The world and NOT hear the bass, that shit makes those songs complete. Like it or not I think Tommy can pretty much be classed as THE GNR member's GNR member. He's been there for years. songwriter, singer, pretty much the hub of the band's live performances, full of energy and attitude, not afraid to speak up. He's far more than a hired gun, and if you look at all the effort the man has put in since the dark days of the late nineties to call him that is both ignorant and insulting. Tommy Stinson, Guns N Roses legend.

+1. Honestly, Tommy seems to get along most naturally with Axl, they have a very strong connection.

I never said his bass wasn't audible at all, just that it wasn't very memorable. Now I haven't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while but whatever bass lines Tommy Stinson contributed never really stood out to me or I'd be able to say "yeah i really like when he _____ on ______." :shrugs:

just sayin

To be fair, Duff's bass lines weren't all that memorable either. Sure he was a great songwriter, but the bass lines are usually just the root of the chord, or imitates the rhythm guitar. GN'R isn't a band with a lot of emphasis on bass, it's always been like that

Tommy is an great artist. Everything he did that I have heard is really amazing and sincere. Village Gorilla Head is a great example, along with his work in the Replacements. With the Replacements, it was the band as a whole that anyone could relate to, and they were real artist, every member, and Tommy always had these bass lines that would just stand out. In Village, he really showed how great he was as a vocalist, writer and overall talent as a musician. His work in GnR just shows that you could put him in any environment, and he will most certainly stand out and fit in at the same time.

just sayin

I really love Tommy, but I have to agree that both his bass and Brain's drumming, for the most part, seemed to get buried in the mix. The irony is that Chinese Democracy was mastered really, really well -- none of that "loudness war" bullshit that so many modern rock albums succumb to (think Metallica) -- but there's almost so much going on at times that stuff gets lost in the shuffle. That's why I said recently that I'd love to hear this lineup do a stripped-down, basic rock album - minus the bombast of ChiDem. The mixing on the album isn't just a bit too much at times, but it's very inconsistent; you can tell which songs were recorded most recently simply by how they sound..."I.R.S." and "Catcher," for example, sound a lot "thinner" compared to the fullness of "Street of Dreams" and most notably "Shackler's Revenge." Even the vocals are inconsistent -- Axl's really up-front (imo, a bit too much so) and loud on "Street of Dreams," whereas on other tracks he blends into the instruments a bit more.

When they play live, some more of the dynamics come out in the songs, though. Street of Dreams sounds so much better live, whereas the studio track honestly feels just a tad schmaltzy for my tastes. And this is coming from the guy who used to argue back in '04/'05 (before the demo leak) that it was one of the absolute best songs Axl'd ever done.

Edited by Estranged Reality

^^^ 100% agree

just sayin

To be fair, Duff's bass lines weren't all that memorable either. Sure he was a great songwriter, but the bass lines are usually just the root of the chord, or imitates the rhythm guitar. GN'R isn't a band with a lot of emphasis on bass, it's always been like that

Rocket Queen, Its So Easy, Right Next Door To Hell, Sweet Child O Mine, and Perfect Crime are only a few songs that beg to differ

Edited by sweetness