Tommy Stinson

YOUCOULDBEMINE.

^^^ 100% agree

I never said his bass wasn't audible at all, just that it wasn't very memorable. Now I haven't listened to Chinese Democracy in a while but whatever bass lines Tommy Stinson contributed never really stood out to me or I'd be able to say "yeah i really like when he _____ on ______." :shrugs:

just sayin

To be fair, Duff's bass lines weren't all that memorable either. Sure he was a great songwriter, but the bass lines are usually just the root of the chord, or imitates the rhythm guitar. GN'R isn't a band with a lot of emphasis on bass, it's always been like that

Rocket Queen, Its So Easy, Right Next Door To Hell, Sweet Child O Mine, and Perfect Crime are only a few songs that beg to differ

Spot on. As a guitar player myself, i know that without the bass playing along with me on most GnR songs, the songs just don't sound the same. Duff's bass playing was standout for a rock band. That was the great thing about the old band, every single member shined at their given role(vocals, drums, bass, rhythm guitar and lead guitar).

Tommy has some moments on the album for sure. Street of Dreams stands out in with the melodic bass licks as does Catcher in the Rye, as well as the other songs mentioned. He stood out more on the title track before Ron added his(superb) rhythm sections on top. Can't tell hear much on Better though, probably because theres 4 guitars going on at the same time with the synth(which isn't a bad thing, the song is amazing). I could be wrong but didn't Pitman play bass on If The World?

I really don't see how Tommy has stage presence though, he just seems to stand there... He was much more active back in 2001-2002 in my opinion.

Well, I didn't know where to put it but mods, feel free to move this if needed.

I absolutely love this guy, his stage presence, his energy, his playing, but most of all i like his voice.

so i finally decided to download 'Village Gorilla Head', and after hearing the whole album I must say that he impressed me even more

it's relaxing, and the guy can definitely sing. I absolutely loved his solo album

i never gave him a listen outside of guns, but i must say that his solo album was much better than i expected

anyone else ever gave it a listen? or can anyone recommend me some other stuff he did?

What instrument does he play in Axl's band?

I really dig his stage presence. He just has that vibe to him that makes it feel like he is truely apart of Guns. I really gotta take a listen to his solo stuff because alot of the record stores around here only care mainstream music. To me, he just seems like the glue that keeps Axl together. I never really knew how close Axl and him are..at least seem to be. He is a wicked awesome bass player. I love listening to my Albany 02 Boot. When I slap on the head phones, i can really hear Tommy's bass playing. It just so hardcore to me.

I really dig his stage presence. He just has that vibe to him that makes it feel like he is truely apart of Guns. I really gotta take a listen to his solo stuff because alot of the record stores around here only care mainstream music. To me, he just seems like the glue that keeps Axl together. I never really knew how close Axl and him are..at least seem to be. He is a wicked awesome bass player. I love listening to my Albany 02 Boot. When I slap on the head phones, i can really hear Tommy's bass playing. It just so hardcore to me.

well he has been the Guns N' Roses bassist for like 12 years now right? so naturally he's a big part of the band.

Village Gorilla Head is a cracking record with someDylan-esque lyrics and great melodies. Check out the beautiful ballad Light Of Day and rocker Motivation.

I'm not keen on his band Perfect's 'Once Twice, Three Times A Maybe' or Bash and Pop. But The Replacements were great. Check out Alex Chilton from Pleased To Meet Me.

Like somebody said, Tommy is Axl's number 2. He leads the band through rehearsals (hence 'the general'), he calls out what ' gonna be played next on stage, he's been around longer than anyone except Dizzy and one of the coolest things was when Axl was recently struggling badly with Twat on the ego ramp Tommy walked up to lend some support and basically had his back so he wasn't out there on his own drowning.

One day i think we're gonna find out that Tommy's played a major part in supporting Axl and helping keep the band alive. When I saw him touring VGH in 2004 I thanked him for staying and beliving in Axl and the band and he said 'Believing is easy'.

I must admit as a fan of the replacements, i was excited when i heard the news of him joining axl - i was already stoked for the release of cd, but him joining just added to my expectations, because of his work with the replacements.

unfortunatly, after hearing cd - i think either, i must have given tommy to much credit on being one of the primary songwriters in his previous band, or that axl clearly runs the band like a dictatorship and didn't allow tommy to have much influence on the finished product.

because cd is not good.

you guys want to talk about damaging a legacy. i think what tommy has done with gnr has hurt the replacement's legacy - which is/was a band that is extremely respected among the indie scene and among music critics.

you guys want to talk about damaging a legacy. i think what tommy has done with gnr has hurt the replacement's legacy - which is/was a band that is extremely respected among the indie scene and among music critics.

The only thing it did was hurt Tommy's legacy, not the band's. I've seen him poked fun at a lot by music critics, etc., for being in GN'R now -- but I've never seen anyone think less of the Replacements as a result. Anyone who follows that kind of logic is an idiot, frankly.

I must admit as a fan of the replacements, i was excited when i heard the news of him joining axl - i was already stoked for the release of cd, but him joining just added to my expectations, because of his work with the replacements.

unfortunatly, after hearing cd - i think either, i must have given tommy to much credit on being one of the primary songwriters in his previous band, or that axl clearly runs the band like a dictatorship and didn't allow tommy to have much influence on the finished product.

because cd is not good.

If you don't think CD is good then why are you classed as a 'supporter' and why are you even bothering to post on a topic like this? I don't mean to be antagonistic, i'm just asking matter of factly.

Someone here has a sig saying 'If you're posting on a GN'R board and you're not a Slash fan you're an idiot'. Can't say I agree entirely but if you're not a CD fan then why bother hanging round a primarily New Guns forum regularly?

The only thing it did was hurt Tommy's legacy, not the band's. I've seen him poked fun at a lot by music critics, etc., for being in GN'R now -- but I've never seen anyone think less of the Replacements as a result. Anyone who follows that kind of logic is an idiot, frankly.

Being the bass player for Guns N' Roses in no way hurts his legacy. It only enhanced it. Tommy is a legend.

Got round to getting my hands on Tommy's solo album after reading some posts on here. Really fucking love it, haven't been able to stop playing it all day, it has a really nice raw essence to it and also a lot of emotional pull. Seriously recommend it to anyone who is curious. It's just under a fiver on the UK ITunes.