If this lineup were to record a whole new album

Lawzy

Lets say all the unreleased music was put to one side and this lineup wrote a totally new album. How different would it sound? Similar to Chinese? More straight up rock? A lot of the people who wrote CD are gone now. Frank is a more straight up rock kinda drummer, Ashba has more of a 'Slash-type vibe'. Are we moving away from the industrial\metal vibe Finck brought in? The more experimental edge from Bucket and Brain?

I think we'd see more of a straight up rock album, but Bumblefoot and Pitman could see some more interesting sounds blended in.

I'm not saying it would sound like Appetite or that I don't want to hear the other stuff(because I really want to hear what else is out there, love CD) but I would be interested to hear your thoughts. What would this lineup sound like purely on it's own?

Good thread btw. I think the sound wouldnt be to far from from Chinese. But with more a rock edge to it, like a good mix of solos, ballads and plain up dirty rock n roll is what I would expect from these guys. Perhaps something simliar to the Illusion albums. But with more a modern edgey sound to it. I mean, the way these guys are playing live is just awesome, they really feel like Guns N' Roses to me. Granted Finck was great during his time and Buckethead has a different appoach to what we are used to. It just felt like something was missing. Now we got DJ and Ron. They fill in those gaps that I thought were missing. Then again, Axl and the guys could pull a fast one on us and make a album thats all ballads, lol. Which I wouldnt mind. But I much rather they keep to their current formula.

Lets say all the unreleased music was put to one side and this lineup wrote a totally new album. How different would it sound? Similar to Chinese? More straight up rock? A lot of the people who wrote CD are gone now. Frank is a more straight up rock kinda drummer, Ashba has more of a 'Slash-type vibe'. Are we moving away from the industrial\metal vibe Finck brought in? The more experimental edge from Bucket and Brain?

I think we'd see more of a straight up rock album, but Bumblefoot and Pitman could see some more interesting sounds blended in.

I'm not saying it would sound like Appetite or that I don't want to hear the other stuff(because I really want to hear what else is out there, love CD) but I would be interested to hear your thoughts. What would this lineup sound like purely on it's own?

No. I like how Chinese D. has the Exile on Main Street grit along with the polished OK Computer sound. I, and I know a lot of other people, look forward to Chinese D. 2. Why would you set aside your songs and start over? November Rain was there for AFD but GNR didn't throw it away. They knew it was good and just gave it more time and then released it.

According to Ron, it'll sound like Scraped, Shackler, and Sorry. I have no problem with that as long as we get some of the other CD session songs with it.

in that case I properly won't buy it, imo Shackler, Scarped and Sorry are 3 of the weakest songs off CD.

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1

Even if Axl is just too commited to some of the stuff in his alleged vault to scrap it entirely, he should let the new guys re-recolrd a version is he is intent on keeping it.

We don't need another album of people out of the band for 5 years.

as long as the music is good, i'm not concerned with how old it is or if a couple of the guys it features have moved on to different things.

I would have to guess that since Axl usually writes all the melodies, and gets final say on everything, that it would sound pretty much like CD.

I disagree, the songs on Chinese were wriiten ages ago, if Axl were to start with a blank sheet I think it would sound different from Chinese. The way Chinese sounded different from Illusions and Ilusions sounded different from Appetite. If they go back to rerecord songs already written for Chinese then that is a different story

I want more piano, and something unique like a xylophone.

I love the xylophone as an instrument but I think GNR would only use it in a subtle way on maybe one part of a song although if Axl recoded an entire song with an xylophone you know it would be good. There's actually a part in Chinese D. the song that underneath the guitars you can hear an instrument that actually sounds like an electronic xylophone and it reminds me of another classic song by The Boss. In Born to Run the song there is the same kind of sound. Hard to explain.

Even if Axl is just too commited to some of the stuff in his alleged vault to scrap it entirely, he should let the new guys re-recolrd a version is he is intent on keeping it.

We don't need another album of people out of the band for 5 years.

as long as the music is good, i'm not concerned with how old it is or if a couple of the guys it features have moved on to different things.

As long as the music is good is right on dude.

Edited by Stipemanblue

No. I like how Chinese D. has the Exile on Main Street grit along with the polished OK Computer sound. I, and I know a lot of other people, look forward to Chinese D. 2. Why would you set aside your songs and start over? November Rain was there for AFD but GNR didn't throw it away. They knew it was good and just gave it more time and then released it.

I didn't say that I would start over. I'm asking how a new album would sound if they did that. I love ChinDem. I still play it a lot, and I'd love to hear some of the other stuff from the vault.

I'm hoping Ashba will have a large influence on an Album, that guy knows how to make a decent Record, Look at his work with Sixx AM.

Bones--

Indeed. I love the Sixx AM album, it's one of my favourites. The songs are a lot more accessable to the mainstream than CD, makes me wonder what impact he would have on the sound. That was definately one of the things going through my mind when I made this thread.

I want more piano, and something unique like a xylophone.

That would be the Axl ballad side of things I think, This I Love had the harp! There's so many directions possible with this lineup.

I'm hoping Ashba will have a large influence on an Album, that guy knows how to make a decent Record, Look at his work with Sixx AM.

Bones--

I'd actually prefer Robin. He brings something really distinct/unique to the table. Love him or hate him, his parts on ChiDem are as unique and intelligible as Slash's old solos were. You know it's Finck as soon as you hear it.

I was a critic of his back in the day, mainly because he was always forced to cover Slash when they performed live; but hearing his work on his own material, it's evident that the dude helped shape the new band's sound and helped them become something more than just a glorified cover band in the studio.