Ozzy Osbourne appreciation thread

Dead Flower

11 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

part of what i love about Ozzy's solo music was Randy Rhodes. he was a great guitarist IMO. and then came Zakk and he was no slouch. and the songs such as Mr. Crowley, Mama I'm Coming Home, and Crazy Train.

Thing about Ozzy seems to me is; He likes FANTASTIC guitarists...

Story of how Randy Rhoads got the gig to be in Ozzy's band was...

Randy was just warming up, doing what Randy Rhoads did, Ozzy heard it, liked it, took off to England, told everybody about what he just heard, and convinced his label to hire him when at the time they wanted an all English band, Randy Rhoads flew over to England, recorded Blizzard of Ozz, landed Randy Rhoads much sought out American record deal because up until that point, he was only released in Japan.

And, we all know how awesome Zakk Wylde sounds...

This is what Zakk Wylde sounds like on passive pickups:

rather than on his signature EMG pickups...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake-Pit said:

Thing about Ozzy seems to me is; He likes FANTASTIC guitarists...

Story of how Randy Rhoads got the gig to be in Ozzy's band was...

Randy was just warming up, doing what Randy Rhoads did, Ozzy heard it, liked it, took off to England, told everybody about what he just heard, and convinced his label to hire him when at the time they wanted an all English band, Randy Rhoads flew over to England, recorded Blizzard of Ozz, landed Randy Rhoads much sought out American record deal because up until that point, he was only released in Japan.

And, we all know how awesome Zakk Wylde sounds...

This is what Zakk Wylde sounds like on passive pickups:

rather than on his signature EMG pickups...

yeah Zakk is great! thanks for the clip.

Randy was incredible. and i love that story of how Ozzy snagged him :)

i heard that when Sharon first saw him she said Randy was such a pretty girl!:lol: well he was young and very attractive but he played like hell on wheels!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Majestic Beast said:

New album with steve stevens,sounds interesting but what is going to do wil live concerts,steve or gus g will to the sessionist part once more?

I like Stevens, especially his stuff with Billy Idol. I guess he could fit with Ozzy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I'm more familiar with Ozzy / Rhoads era than I am with Sabbath.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Easy just listen to the 6 first albums (BS, Paranoid, Master Of Reality, Vol.4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath & Sabotage). They're all masterpieces for their own good, all mammoth riffs and magnificent vocals.

Then jump on the Dio train with Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules. 

-

If too lazy, Paranoid & Heaven & Hell.

-

If too lazy listen to After Forever, Sabbra Cadabra, Snowblind, The Thrill of It All, Hand Of Doom, N.I.B., Neon Knight, Voodoo.

-

Personal favourite: SBS, Sabotage, H&H.

The other stuff are great, but just hard to begin with. I think Axl's favourite was Technical Ecstasy.

14 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Sadly, both of those are 10+ hours from me. Sucks, because I'd love to go to either one.

Hoping he gets billed on a festival a little closer to the East Coast.

Also, commemorative Ozzy harmonica being made. Naturally, I pre-ordered it:

16142533_10155008203292318_5452463079164743287_n.jpg

Has Ozzy ever appeared on the same recording as a harmonica? This looks cool, but seems kind of like a Woody Guthrie commemorative distortion pedal. Not exactly the instrument I associate with the Prince of Fucking Darkness...

7 hours ago, axlslash said:

Has Ozzy ever appeared on the same recording as a harmonica? This looks cool, but seems kind of like a Woody Guthrie commemorative distortion pedal. Not exactly the instrument I associate with the Prince of Fucking Darkness...

Think he also played harmonica on Alice Cooper's "Wake the Dead" from the Along Came a Spider album.

2 hours ago, drbunnig said:

Think he also played harmonica on Alice Cooper's "Wake the Dead" from the Along Came a Spider album.

Haha holy shit, I forgot all about that song and his involvement. Yeah, I think you're right!

There's harmonica on the song Black Rain as well, but other than wikipedia crediting Ozzy for harmonica, I can't find any evidence supporting him being the one playing on the track.