Setlists......Again

redrum

Ok first off I'm sure the latest shows have been mega and can't wait to eventually go see the band regardless of whats played, but why is so much of CD just not being played anymore. I mean its essentially the same as the 06/07 tours, I mean you're lucky now if you get IRS, TIL and shacklers and you can pretty much put a line through Catcher, prostitute and scraped, songs that were played heavily in Asia and to some extent in Canada. Like I said I'm sure the shows are brilliant but I'm just a bit miffed, i mean it is the Chinese Democracy world tour after all..................??.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it seems to be down to 5 or 6 from CD a night. The setlist is more 70% old Guns and 30% Nu Guns.

i thought the plan would be to play more CD songs as the tour goes on, as long as they get a good reception. And eventually, if a second album comes out, they could cut out most of the old songs. (except the huge classics).

I havent been to see em yet in 2010, but when i saw them in 2006, the reception wasnt as good for the CD songs and the crowd didnt enjoy all the jams that much. It caused the show to lose momentum.

Whats the reception been like to the CD songs so far?

i appreciate that Axl cant give 3 hours every night. But cut out the jams/solo's, or at least some of em.

Then play some more CD songs. maybe even cut out some of the illusions and Appetite.

Play the bloody new songs, at least 8 or 9.

Does seem strange to be losing songs as the tour goes on normally a band expands setlists and increases variety as they look to make gigs more interesting, for themselves, as well as for the fans.

This band seem to be touring in reverse with every show just being the same setlist all the time.

I know the order was slightly different to normal shows, but switching Paradise City for Nightrain is hardly gonna make the biggest difference to the band.

You would think they would like to play the new songs. At least TIL is getting played again.

What happened to Scraped, that was a great live version? CITR seems to be a big favourite for fans too, but these have been omitted.

By all means PLEASE drop Sorry, but at least replace it with another CD song.

LP

Then play some more CD songs. maybe even cut out some of the illusions and Appetite.

Umm,WTF? They hardly play anything as it is from the Illusions. If anything they need to add some Illusions material.

True, but its not the UYI tour anymore..

[Nothing like a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks... jesus are any of you guys in central or south america?? didn't think so... so why bitch about a setlist at a gig your not at. If you want to see catcher or shacklers or prostitute live then go to utube and check it out... otherwise why bitch about gigs your not even at. Seems like a complete waste of time to me

[Nothing like a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks... jesus are any of you guys in central or south america?? didn't think so... so why bitch about a setlist at a gig your not at. If you want to see catcher or shacklers or prostitute live then go to utube and check it out... otherwise why bitch about gigs your not even at. Seems like a complete waste of time to me

No i havent been at the shows. BUT... i do plan on going when they come to my country so im interested in the set list.

If its the same show as 3 years ago, id approach with more caution.

And ive heard a lot of South American's complaining too about the setlist. people that were at the shows and disappointed that they didnt get to hear more new material.

Oh this old chestnut..... :rolleyes:

I think questioning the amount/lack of CD songs in the set after the album has been released is a valid point for discussion particularly when the Chinese Democracy tour is yet to visit the majority of countries where people are discussing it are from. It would almost be more pointless for people who have already seen the band to be discussing it!

One thing that might explain why Guns are playing the/more classics in these central and south american countries is because they have yet to play some of these places EVER, and if they have not since the early 90's. So these people haven't heard the classics before or not for AGES!

If you look at a radiohead setlist at a festival compared to at their own gig in England or the US where they tour very often and there's a marked difference in the song choices.

So Canada and Japan have had tours in 2006/7, not as extensive, but still an appearance, so these places would want to hear the new songs this time.

Maybe when the guns return to the UK or the States where they have toured in 2006/7 they will bring in more of the new songs.

The only problem is they seem to be playing shorter sets rather than changing songs, so who knows?!

LP

They play more of the older music, because fans rather here songs that were created by Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy. They get a better crowd response.

No way ,Man! People are there to hear Pitman lay down the funky synth on Chinese Democracy not to hear PC,SCOM,WTTJ,NR,etc.

:xmasssanta:

On topic, to continually play tracks live (most of the new ones) that don't garner big reactions from fans and/or kill the shows momentum isn't very smart.

Then again either is starting after midnight and having masturbatory jams and solos so Axl can repeatedly leave the stage.

I'm in no way trying to start a topic that rips on the new band or Axl, I am just wondering what has happened to a few of the standard CD songs that were in the set and why they are getting fewer and fewer..

Sometimes I think the Axl fanatics would be happier if we just shut this board down entirely.

According to them - nearly every topic of discussion is off-limits.

-Don't talk about a reunion

-Don't talk about Slash

-Don't talk about Axl's personal life

-Don't talk about Axl's lawsuits

-Don't talk about Axl's hair, weight, clothes, eyes, etc.

-Don't talk about the setlists

-Don't talk about the jams/oxygen breaks

-Don't talk about the late start times

-Don't talk about wanting a new album

What is left to discuss?

They play more of the older music, because fans rather here songs that were created by Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy. They get a better crowd response.

No way ,Man! People are there to hear Pitman lay down the funky synth on Chinese Democracy not to hear PC,SCOM,WTTJ,NR,etc.

:xmasssanta:

On topic, to continually play tracks live (most of the new ones) that don't garner big reactions from fans and/or kill the shows momentum isn't very smart.

Then again either is starting after midnight and having masturbatory jams and solos so Axl can repeatedly leave the stage.

I think their set order could be improved to allow the new songs to fair a little better aganst the classics...

They should tear through 3/4 CD songs when they come on.

You can't come on to CD then rattle through 3 BIG classics and expect the enthusiasm to be maintained when you return to some CD songs and guitar solos.

I know Axl likes to have a "dynamic" approach to the set list, but there's very little deviance from the usual structure. So why not plan a set list where a couple of areas can be played with but momentum doesn't really get ruined.

So I guess they should start with 3 CD songs and gradually introduce the older material as the set draws on... something like:

Chinese Democracy

Shackler's

Street of Dreams

Solo

You could be mine

Better

If the World

Rocket Queen

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Scraped

Sweet Child O' Mine

Live and Let Die

Catcher In The Rye

Nightrain

Encore

Welcome To The Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr Brownstone

This I Love

Patience

Paradise City

That would be awesome and gives the new songs a chance I think.

LP

it's normal to have a better response for songs people know, I mean they would play fucking shotgun blues they would still have a better response than c.d songs. But they are there to promote these new songs like every other bands do. then he'll put another record out he'll promote this record and better will have a better response then I dont know checkmate.

it's normal to have a better response for songs people know, I mean they would play fucking shotgun blues they would still have a better response than c.d songs. But they are there to promote these new songs like every other bands do. then he'll put another record out he'll promote this record and better will have a better response then I dont know checkmate.

Hey! I really like Shotgun Blues!

I just think it is ridculous to complain about setlists when

a) they are still playing like 6 new tunes. most bands play like two or three off the new album

B) the shows are still well over two hours (which is the industry standard)

c) GNR has always had solo's throughout the show (drum solos, extended slash solos) so that isn't going to change... axl needs a break once in a while

d) 3hour shows are a treat and not the norm... if you don't expect it you won't be disappointed.

its a fact that in the countries they've never played b4 panama, alot of south america, that they will hear more old stuff than cd songs. its obvious. look at canada and japan. match up with the places they've never played b4 and u will see that its true. and dont get proud u old bastards that its cuz 'those songs are better etc bs' its because of gnr didnt play there b4.

I was thinking...

1) The setlist is shorter in the South American tour because of the weather, its really hot down here, the crowd is more energetic and this reflects on the eletric performance by the band. I mean at Asia they barely moved on stage (especially Bumble) in the Rio gig they were running all the time, interacting with people, all band was on fire.

2) They dont have too much time to rehearsal the new songs, and some of them are pretty complicated. I mean, some versions of Catcher are not that good and Scraped demands so much from Axl´s voice.

3) They are starting the show too late.

Umm,WTF? They hardly play anything as it is from the Illusions. If anything they need to add some Illusions material.

+1

The timing of this thread is odd. I mean, last night was one of the odd shows where they didn't close with Paradise City, which i think is cool - keeps people guessing.

This I Love - my new favorite live song (replacing Madagascar) was back in the setlist.

They're still playing at least 6 new tracks per night. I saw Pearl Jam last summer, they had a new album, they played *1* song from it!

I also think someone hit the nail on the head when they mentioned GN'R not having played in 10 years or more/never having played at all in some of these countries. They may go for more of a classic lineup compared to Toronto, which got shows in 2002, 2006, and 2010.

True, but its not the UYI tour anymore..

It's not the AFD tour either :thumbsup:

Heeey...now that wasn't so hard was it?

Sometimes I think the Axl fanatics would be happier if we just shut this board down entirely.

According to them - nearly every topic of discussion is off-limits.

-Don't talk about a reunion Old lineups Reunion talks

-Don't talk about Slash Former Gunners

-Don't talk about Axl's personal life Go to TmZ forums

-Don't talk about Axl's Lawsuits Discussions

-Don't talk about Axl's hair, weight, clothes, eyes, etc. Go to TmZ forums

-Don't talk about the setlists

-Don't talk about the jams/oxygen breaks

-Don't talk about the late start times

-Don't talk about wanting a new album

What is left to discuss?

and for the rest u can search urself. lots of threads to cupcake the way u want :thumbsup:

there are lots of HEALTHY threads out there about the things u said... please, dont cupcake them... :shrugs:

ontopic: well... i think once u see them live u dont "complain" anymore... i was very satisfied about the amount of CD songs played here in Buenos Aires... they just cant (at least in SA i think) play all the CD songs... its been too long since the last time they came here... people want to hear the old classics... besides, they will probably come again next year, so i guess they will play some more songs then :thumbsup:

Edited by Argentina Roses

I just think it is ridculous to complain about setlists when

a) they are still playing like 6 new tunes. most bands play like two or three off the new album

B) the shows are still well over two hours (which is the industry standard)

c) GNR has always had solo's throughout the show (drum solos, extended slash solos) so that isn't going to change... axl needs a break once in a while

d) 3hour shows are a treat and not the norm... if you don't expect it you won't be disappointed.

Yes, it's ridiculous to complain about gigs you aren't even attending,completely ludicrous. GNR has always had jams on songs or long intros/outros ex: intros-"only women bleed" "Bad Time to fall in love" and songs like Rocket Queen have always been extended-

The Sorum Drum Solo and slash's Godslobber solo always bored the fuck outta me.

Some cretin out in the boonies always has to start bashing the setlists every time,and complaining about the start times-and it''s always ppl that ain't even going to the gigs!!

Some ppl just bitch ta bitch, because they have no fucking life. I was at some of the Canadian shows and I have No complaints-I've been around long enough to know that GNR starts late and plays what they damn well please, and it's not likely to change, So kindly shut it up whiners.