Setlists......Again

redrum

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The timing of this thread is odd. I mean, last night was one of the odd shows where they didn't close with Paradise City, which i think is cool - keeps people guessing.

This I Love - my new favorite live song (replacing Madagascar) was back in the setlist.

They're still playing at least 6 new tracks per night. I saw Pearl Jam last summer, they had a new album, they played *1* song from it!

I also think someone hit the nail on the head when they mentioned GN'R not having played in 10 years or more/never having played at all in some of these countries. They may go for more of a classic lineup compared to Toronto, which got shows in 2002, 2006, and 2010.

If you saw Pearl Jam "last summer", they probably only played *1* song from their new album because it came out at the end of September.

Sometimes I think the Axl fanatics would be happier if we just shut this board down entirely.

According to them - nearly every topic of discussion is off-limits.

-Don't talk about a reunion

-Don't talk about Slash

-Don't talk about Axl's personal life

-Don't talk about Axl's lawsuits

-Don't talk about Axl's hair, weight, clothes, eyes, etc.

-Don't talk about the setlists

-Don't talk about the jams/oxygen breaks

-Don't talk about the late start times

-Don't talk about wanting a new album

What is left to discuss?

It's been beat to death. I think Axl's addressed that pretty well too. There is a section for that though, isn't it? Dreamers can dream there.

-Don't talk about Slash

He's not in the band. Hasn't been for a while. Sure, he was a big part of the early days, but he has his own section too, doesn't he?

It's personal!

What lawsuits? I don't think anyone would throw a flag to talk about that. And when there is a lawsuit, it's discussed. Isn't Azoff's the only one in a while?

If you like to complain about Axl's looks, and you're a dude, you're gay. End of story.

We should be thankful there are setlists to even talk about! There was a time when I thought GNR was dead and buried.

Bands have solo's. Bands jam. Who cares about oxygen breaks? A lot of other artists do it. Athletes do it. Look at the sidelines of an NFL game. Oxygen tanks everywhere. Pitchers in baseball use them a lot too between innings. I know, I play baseball.

See the comments about setlists. If you're pissed because you missed mommy tucking you in at your bedtime, you shouldn't go to the concert.

We have a great album that hasn't even been out yet for two years. If another two years goes by and there's silence from the band for no apparent reason like we're so accustomed to, then you have an argument. For all we know another album will come out this November. We didn't get news of CD's release until a few weeks prior to the launch date. If it's next November, I'm fine with that too. I'm just happy they're touring and I'll get the opportunity to see them again live later this year when they most certainly will tour the states.

The idiots that complain about the people who speak up and raise their opinions and constantly say "this is a discussion board, what are we to discuss?"... well, there's people like me who think all of these threads about Axl's looks, setlists, Slash, etc., ARE OLD NEWS.

There's sections on this forum for re-hashing the same old shit over and over and over and over and over and over again. If any of you are those people that like to have a pity party, go to those threads and bitch there all you won't and you won't have people like me say, WTF, moron, GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!!

Seriously, some of you need a life. Get outside and smell the pollen. It's springtime.

I said before that if you take out the 5-6 new songs it's the UYI tour all over again. Why no drum solo from Frank - come on man?!

Anyway - IMO they should play the shit out of the album whether the crowd wants to hear it or not. Isn't that what he spent all that time and money on for 12+ years - the new album? I thought that was what the whole quest and drama was about - those songs and that album and to go out and play AFD for the 3000th time every night boggles my fucking mind. Since when did Axl EVER care about giving the fans what they wanted? I thought he did it for him.

Speaking of the setlist there is an easy compromise. Play the big hits of yesteryear and for the rest of the show play the new album.

Welcome To The Jungle

Live And Let Die

Sweet Child O' Mine

Patience

November Rain

You Could Be Mine

Paradise City

+ selections from the new album.

******For the naysayers who will post that that bands don't do this - here is a great setlist from GNR:

05.29.91 - Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

set:

Right Next Door To Hell

Mr. Brownstone

Bad Obsession

Dust N' Bones

Double Talkin' Jive

Patience

Civil War

14 Years

Live And Let Die

It's So Easy

Drum Solo, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme

Rocket Queen

November Rain

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Perfect Crime

Estranged

Sweet Child O' Mine

Welcome To The Jungle

Paradise City

8 songs from the new album(s) and they weren't even out yet!!

The timing of this thread is odd. I mean, last night was one of the odd shows where they didn't close with Paradise City, which i think is cool - keeps people guessing.

This I Love - my new favorite live song (replacing Madagascar) was back in the setlist.

They're still playing at least 6 new tracks per night. I saw Pearl Jam last summer, they had a new album, they played *1* song from it!

I also think someone hit the nail on the head when they mentioned GN'R not having played in 10 years or more/never having played at all in some of these countries. They may go for more of a classic lineup compared to Toronto, which got shows in 2002, 2006, and 2010.

If you saw Pearl Jam "last summer", they probably only played *1* song from their new album because it came out at the end of September.

Most bands play cuts in advance. Remember UYI songs being played before the CD came out? I literally saw them a month before the CD came out. In the press, they talked up the CD a bunch then played 1 song from it. Was a great show, don't get me wrong, but the GN'R fans on here crying about only 6 new songs - that's a lot by the standards of most bands.

And if you really want to nitpick, they played NOTHING off their last album as well.

Edited by kyrie

Surely as GN'R hadn't toured properly in SA since the UYI tour they just wanted to re-acquiant that public (and younger fans who wouldn't have been at this tour) with the classics. I know Iron Maiden did this on their recent album tour where they changed their setlist accordingly when touring India and removed some new material and put old stuff like Run To The Hills and Number of the Beast in. Just a theory.

Sometimes I think the Axl fanatics would be happier if we just shut this board down entirely.

-Don't talk about Slash

What is left to discuss?

AMEN

I just think it is ridculous to complain about setlists when

a) they are still playing like 6 new tunes. most bands play like two or three off the new album

B) the shows are still well over two hours (which is the industry standard)

c) GNR has always had solo's throughout the show (drum solos, extended slash solos) so that isn't going to change... axl needs a break once in a while

d) 3hour shows are a treat and not the norm... if you don't expect it you won't be disappointed.

Yes, it's ridiculous to complain about gigs you aren't even attending,completely ludicrous. GNR has always had jams on songs or long intros/outros ex: intros-"only women bleed" "Bad Time to fall in love" and songs like Rocket Queen have always been extended-

The Sorum Drum Solo and slash's Godslobber solo always bored the fuck outta me.

Some cretin out in the boonies always has to start bashing the setlists every time,and complaining about the start times-and it''s always ppl that ain't even going to the gigs!!

Some ppl just bitch ta bitch, because they have no fucking life. I was at some of the Canadian shows and I have No complaints-I've been around long enough to know that GNR starts late and plays what they damn well please, and it's not likely to change, So kindly shut it up whiners.

This is the worst complaint anyone can make. Oh don't complain about a set list of a show you are not attending. WHY NOT? If you are a fan you can talk about what ever you want, and guess what? Based on what set lists the band is playing could make us decide if we want tot buy a ticket to a show when they come around our city. If they are playing the same set list as they were in 2002-2006 that could make people not want to buy a ticket.

Its called the Chinese Democracy tour, they should be playing a CD heavy set list. They have been playing the same basic set list since 2001, why not change it up?

They should be playing 8-10 CD songs a night. ANd yes you were at the CA shows and had no complaints because back then they were playing a ton of CD songs.

You know would have been disappointed if they played a set list from 2006.

This is a fan forum, people should be able to talk about what they want, stop with the personal attacks because the thread had a good discussion going on.

-Don't talk about Slash

What is left to discuss?

It's been beat to death. I think Axl's addressed that pretty well too. There is a section for that though, isn't it? Dreamers can dream there.

-Don't talk about Slash

He's not in the band. Hasn't been for a while. Sure, he was a big part of the early days, but he has his own section too, doesn't he?

It's personal!

What lawsuits? I don't think anyone would throw a flag to talk about that. And when there is a lawsuit, it's discussed. Isn't Azoff's the only one in a while?

If you like to complain about Axl's looks, and you're a dude, you're gay. End of story.

We should be thankful there are setlists to even talk about! There was a time when I thought GNR was dead and buried.

Bands have solo's. Bands jam. Who cares about oxygen breaks? A lot of other artists do it. Athletes do it. Look at the sidelines of an NFL game. Oxygen tanks everywhere. Pitchers in baseball use them a lot too between innings. I know, I play baseball.

See the comments about setlists. If you're pissed because you missed mommy tucking you in at your bedtime, you shouldn't go to the concert.

We have a great album that hasn't even been out yet for two years. If another two years goes by and there's silence from the band for no apparent reason like we're so accustomed to, then you have an argument. For all we know another album will come out this November. We didn't get news of CD's release until a few weeks prior to the launch date. If it's next November, I'm fine with that too. I'm just happy they're touring and I'll get the opportunity to see them again live later this year when they most certainly will tour the states.

The idiots that complain about the people who speak up and raise their opinions and constantly say "this is a discussion board, what are we to discuss?"... well, there's people like me who think all of these threads about Axl's looks, setlists, Slash, etc., ARE OLD NEWS.

There's sections on this forum for re-hashing the same old shit over and over and over and over and over and over again. If any of you are those people that like to have a pity party, go to those threads and bitch there all you won't and you won't have people like me say, WTF, moron, GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!!

Seriously, some of you need a life. Get outside and smell the pollen. It's springtime.

Matt's back to his best, dropping bombs. Completely agree with you mate!

I understand your point of view Sandman, but if you apply that policy to the forum this discussion section wouldn´t has discussions... it would be: "yes man, great concert, great setlist, good they started three hours later tonight, great they take another 12 years to make an album ... etc etc "

I don´t like that kind of discussion... it already exists and it´s called HTGTH

So they swapped PC and Nightrain! WOOHOO! That's hardly momumental.

The songs they're playing: CD, Better, The Blues, Madagascar have been played since 2001/2006 (better)

So the only songs new to the tour are TiL and ITW.

Now I think people would be LESS bothered if the "NEW" songs they played would be ones that were not played since this tour.

It's not to say that they shouldn't play the songs from CD played before this tour but 2 songs people haven't heard before isn't THAT great is it?

Now if they played that setlist from panama when I see them I will be VERY HAPPY!

BUT I still think there is basis for a discussion on why lots of songs from CD that were new to this tour are not played very often anymore.

I don't think people are hating the new band for discussing this. Or saying the shows suck. Just seems strange that the new(er) songs seem to have stopped being played.

LP

a) they are still playing like 6 new tunes. most bands play like two or three off the new album

c) GNR has always had solo's throughout the show (drum solos, extended slash solos) so that isn't going to change... axl needs a break once in a while

d) 3hour shows are a treat and not the norm... if you don't expect it you won't be disappointed.

Yes, it's ridiculous to complain about gigs you aren't even attending,completely ludicrous. GNR has always had jams on songs or long intros/outros ex: intros-"only women bleed" "Bad Time to fall in love" and songs like Rocket Queen have always been extended-

Some cretin out in the boonies always has to start bashing the setlists every time,and complaining about the start times-and it''s always ppl that ain't even going to the gigs!!

Some ppl just bitch ta bitch, because they have no fucking life. I was at some of the Canadian shows and I have No complaints-I've been around long enough to know that GNR starts late and plays what they damn well please, and it's not likely to change, So kindly shut it up whiners.

This is the worst complaint anyone can make. Oh don't complain about a set list of a show you are not attending. WHY NOT? If you are a fan you can talk about what ever you want, and guess what? Based on what set lists the band is playing could make us decide if we want tot buy a ticket to a show when they come around our city. If they are playing the same set list as they were in 2002-2006 that could make people not want to buy a ticket.

Its called the Chinese Democracy tour, they should be playing a CD heavy set list. They have been playing the same basic set list since 2001, why not change it up?

They should be playing 8-10 CD songs a night. ANd yes you were at the CA shows and had no complaints because back then they were playing a ton of CD songs.

This is a fan forum, people should be able to talk about what they want, stop with the personal attacks because the thread had a good discussion going on.

Go Read Matt13's response to this-Try to MEMORIZE IT! :xmassrudolph:

No I would not have been disappointed at the Gigs I've been to- wrong!

And who are you to tell GNR what they "should" be playing?

I''m guessing you are one of the clueless that likes to discuss setlists while you sit in your cowtown basement typing on your win 98 equipped computer,

and feeling important trying to tell GNR what they "should" play, Get over yourself, and if you want to cover the same ground endlessly go ride your bike in a circle eediot!!

I''m guessing you are one of the clueless that likes to discuss setlists while you sit in your cowtown basement typing on your win 98 equipped computer,

and feeling important trying to tell GNR what they "should" play, Get over yourself, and if you want to cover the same ground endlessly go ride your bike in a circle eediot!!

On previous tours people were pissed that the setlist changed from night to night. Axl even made an onstage comment about it. Now people bitch when it doesn't. Basically, there is no way to make everyone happy,

With that being said, Axl has said many times that what he cares about doing is putting on the best possible show for the fans in attendance... not for us internet types who nitpick it the next day. I for one have not heard any complaints about the shows themselves from people who have been there.

There really ought to just be a whole separate section for complaints in this forum. Maybe a whole new layout. Positive and Negative main forums. That way happy people can jizz their pants over whatever they want and unhappy people can all bitch and moan and call each other broham.

-Don't talk about Slash

What is left to discuss?

-Don't talk about Slash

It's personal!

Matt's back to his best, dropping bombs. Completely agree with you mate!

And it wasn't even alcohol induced! Whoever posted before me with the links to the sections pertinent to what the losers want to talk about... BRILLIANT. I'm not an internet geek so I use the term 'loser' instead of 'cupcake' and have no idea how to make those links! So good job to whoever that was. Hope things are well with you Sandman.

On previous tours people were pissed that the setlist changed from night to night. Axl even made an onstage comment about it. Now people bitch when it doesn't. Basically, there is no way to make everyone happy,

With that being said, Axl has said many times that what he cares about doing is putting on the best possible show for the fans in attendance... not for us internet types who nitpick it the next day. I for one have not heard any complaints about the shows themselves from people who have been there.

There really ought to just be a whole separate section for complaints in this forum. Maybe a whole new layout. Positive and Negative main forums. That way happy people can jizz their pants over whatever they want and unhappy people can all bitch and moan and call each other broham.

HA! You are right on target, and you are dead on with " Dammned if you do, dammned if you don't- I think it's petty to critisise a gig you didn't even attend,and damn presumptuous to suggest what GNR should and shouldn't play on any given night.

Brilliant Post :thumbsup:

HA! You are right on target, and you are dead on with " Dammned if you do, dammned if you don't- I think it's petty to critisise a gig you didn't even attend,and damn presumptuous to suggest what GNR should and shouldn't play on any given night.

Brilliant Post :thumbsup:

Thanks, dude. I think anybody hates to see something they love critisized to such an extent...

I don't see any way a GNR show could possibly disappoint me live.

-Don't talk about Slash

What is left to discuss?

-Don't talk about Slash

It's personal!

^ THIS ^ :thumbsup:

-Don't talk about Slash

What is left to discuss?

-Don't talk about Slash

It's personal!

rock3 nice!

They play more of the older music, because fans rather here songs that were created by Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy. They get a better crowd response.

No way ,Man! People are there to hear Pitman lay down the funky synth on Chinese Democracy not to hear PC,SCOM,WTTJ,NR,etc.

You guys do nothing but incite folk to post things like "lol $la$h"

You only get what you give.

Personally, I hope they never play IRS or Prostitute again. If you're not going to do the scream (climax of the song) right, why even play IRS? As for Prostitute, that song just sucks.

Opinions ...

I wasn't a huge Prostitute fan, but it's grown on me.

Then on the other hand, I know a younger fan - she's 16 - and it was the only song on the album she really loved (her words).

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks or that others don't wanna hear it. Which is the biggest problem GN'R has with setlists - keeping everyone happy.

Personally, I hope they never play IRS or Prostitute again. If you're not going to do the scream (climax of the song) right, why even play IRS? As for Prostitute, that song just sucks.

Opinions ...

I wasn't a huge Prostitute fan, but it's grown on me.

Then on the other hand, I know a younger fan - she's 16 - and it was the only song on the album she really loved (her words).

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks or that others don't wanna hear it. Which is the biggest problem GN'R has with setlists - keeping everyone happy.

Well they can't even perform it live. The studio version is so full of Pitmanshit and autotune that it's impossible to reproduce live without 16 backing tracks going at once. It's just not a practical song.

IRS is the most known song from CD other than Better, I would hope it's played live.

IRS is the most known song from CD other than Better, I would hope it's played live.

But he can't do it right, which is weird, because he usually hits the note (F#5) in KOHD and TWAT. I'd rather not hear it than hear a bastardized version of it.